Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

10m Wave SST Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Aug 01, 15 1:20 pm    10m Wave SST Review Reply with quote

Many people know of my passion for the 2012 Rally as a wave kite. I had heard of the development of a wave specific kite coming, but was skeptical considering the changes made to the Rallys over the years.

Yesterday I got a chance to ride the SST in some good wind and thought I would give my first impressions.

First, it's fast. I love how it turns. It damn near had me laughing how good it felt in my hands. Second, it's stable. I'm on an inland lake where it's 11 to 26mph and it's almost smooth. Jumps great with decent hang and the ability to set up wakes style for RPM like unhooking. Drift: Ok I wasn't on any waves but could tell it will be as good or better than an RPM. It may have a little more pull through the turns than a 2012 Rally because of the wingtip design. It should not be a concern because of its speed and think some may prefer this depending on riding style.

Graphics: very cool as the large SLINSHOT lettering is eye catching in your face, ballsy just like the kite. Like the RPM you will want to be powered to get the most out of this kite, and once you cross that line get the next size down or face being pulled off the wave.

All said and done this is a great kite that will perform well in waves, flat water, unhooking, jumping and put a smile on my face.

I did not have the new bar to test, but looks to be an improvement as well.

Now if someone can find me one so I can quickly give them my money...

patdaniels

Since 29 Jul 2015
91 Posts
Seattle area

PostSat Aug 01, 15 6:21 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the review of the 2016 Slingshot Wave SST. Just got a 12M and a 10M with new 2016 Compsticks, but have not been on them yet. You have me stoked to get on that kite. Once I ride them will provide some more feedback here.
Last edited by patdaniels on Sun Aug 02, 15 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total

ulx

Since 21 Nov 2008
16 Posts

PostSun Aug 02, 15 1:50 am    Re: 10m Wave SST Review Reply with quote

Lurk wrote:
... and the ability to set up wakes style for RPM like unhooking ...

I am pretty sure that is not the case. I do own the sst in 10, 8 and 6m and as far as I recall all you can do is tune the steering input via attachment points for the steering lines. But no frontline or bridle changes for different flying mods. Or did I miss something there?

Besides that, I agree, great kites!

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Aug 02, 15 4:23 am     Reply with quote

I think your right, it only allows wing tip adjustment. I was comparing to 2012 Rallys which fly a little further forward in the window. The SST should unhook better sitting back and having more wingtip.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 03, 15 5:36 am     Reply with quote

Great write-up, thanks!

I have a 10M SST hanging in the garage which shouts obscenities at me each time I walk past for not flying it yet...

FlyDunes

Since 09 Oct 2007
1034 Posts
Aloha
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 05, 15 11:48 am     Reply with quote

I didn't see any mention at Slingy's website regarding whether or not the bridles are direct attach / pully-less or not.

Can anyone confirm?

I'm pleased it doesn't have the extra two mini struts like the non 2012 rally's do.

Thanks.

ulx

Since 21 Nov 2008
16 Posts

PostWed Aug 05, 15 11:59 am     Reply with quote

Directly attached, no pulleys. But an integrated bungee.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 05, 15 12:02 pm     Reply with quote

FlyDunes wrote:
I didn't see any mention at Slingy's website regarding whether or not the bridles are direct attach / pully-less or not.

it's direct connect - no pulleys. It has the same IRS bridle that's on the newer RPMs.

from their website - the Wave SST (Slingshot Surf Technology) features a Compact-C canopy and compact direct-connect bridal.

The Intuitive Response System replaces the RPM’s pulley bridal with a revolutionary new shock-absorbing system that gives riders a more direct connection to their kite and the free-flowing energy of the wind. With the elimination of moving pulleys from the bridal, riders will notice an immediate boost in response, steering speed, sheeting, load-and-pop and connection to the kite, while the addition of the new shock-absorbing suspension bridal automatically distributes line tension to give the kite improved stability and smoother, more reactive performance in all wind conditions.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 05, 15 12:07 pm     Reply with quote

FlyDunes wrote:

Can anyone confirm?

No pulleys on the SST. Score!

The outside pigtail goes directly to the kite. Comes from the factory on the corner attachment with 3 additional attachments (4 total) if you want to slow it down / increase feedback.

The inside bridle is SHORT! So short that you can't connect the inside larks head to the outside pigtail (which is how I have previously stored my kites to keep things neat).

I don't have a picture of it, but as I recall the center attachment breaks off into three branches. The center branch has that short bungee-like piece similar to the new RPMs (but in a different place). It has a really short stretch...maybe 3/4" from extended to compressed. We played around with it and "stretched" the kite would sit a hair forward in the wind window and "relaxed" its a hair back...there's a 50% chance I got those two reversed, by the way. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: