Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

confrontation today at Rosie
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 26, 15 3:31 pm     Reply with quote

lekaks wrote:
If your session gets un-stoked by a simple disagreement you have to ask yourself how stoked you really are or how fragile your personality is. Although it can be challenging, even if someone enthusiastically suggests you go have sex with yourself the most sane response would be to laugh yourself to tears while you walk your kite to the water. A stranger's hostile comment should not derail a normal person's day, unless of course you are a weak minded imbecile.

That's a little harsh dude. That's great you're so stoic, but I would venture to say that if you are not rattled by an angry and emotional confrontation then you are at best in the minority (and possibly abnormal yourself). Being affected by a very negative interaction with another person is a pretty human response, and certainly does not make you a "weak minded imbecile".

However, I agree wrapping up lines immediately after landing is good etiquette and could probably have avoided this mess. Gman's explanation is empathetic and spot on, not to mention hilarious.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Jul 26, 15 4:55 pm     Reply with quote

niknas wrote:
I turned around to get her out of my face and she just like a little rat dog ran in front of me yelling that she lived here, I ask does that make you special?

You sir, are a "tourist". Don't you know locals have more rights to public launches up and down the river?

------------

In theory, if you at least bring your bar back to your kite, you should be able to walk it out again free of tangles from lines that are over yours.

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostSun Jul 26, 15 5:43 pm     Reply with quote

SOUNDS LIKE A PISS ON YOU SUBJECT Twisted Evil VERY UNFORTUNATE THAT WITH ALL THE SUBJECTS ON THIS FORUM HAS TO BE ABOUT PEOPLE THAT THINK THEIR SHIT DOE'S NOT STINK AND THEY ARE SO COOL ... Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation ..VERY SAD TO SEE ALL OF THE ATTITUDE OF A SPORT THAT IS SO MUCH FUN Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad MANY OF YOU BURN ME OUT AND DO NOT HAVE THE TRUE SPIRIT..AGRO SHIT IS SO SHITTY. MAYBE YOU SHOULD DO SOMETHING ELSE THEN KITE Question IF YOU HAVE TO BE RUDE.. I HAVE BEEN AROUND ON THIS FORUM AND TOOK ALOT OF GAS ... BUT I HAVE PAID MY DUES, FROM TIMES OF TRIALS WITH MY BRO'S. WHO EVER WAS THE ASSHOLE , GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER AND PUT A FUCKING SMILE ON YOUR FACE AND PAY IT FORWARD, CAUSE IT WILL COME BACK TO HAUNT YOU 10 FOLD...TROLL Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 26, 15 5:48 pm     Reply with quote

^^ then we get to debate what constitutes a local. I used to deal with that BS all the time in San Diego's surf culture.

"No bro, I'm local-ier than thou." Let's leave that nonsense in California. If your comment was in jest, forgive me.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 26, 15 6:36 pm    Local Reply with quote

Here's what I was told. If you were born in white salmon or hood river you are a local. Or if you live in with in 10 miles of the event site for 25 years, with out leaving for the winter then your a local. Nothing else counts. Period! I only have 13 years to go.. Very Happy

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Jul 26, 15 8:04 pm     Reply with quote

ShiverMeTimbers wrote:
"No bro, I'm local-ier than thou." Let's leave that nonsense in California. If your comment was in jest, forgive me.

You are forgiven. I laugh at localism and pity localist at the same time. Little people with little lives.

runaway

Since 31 Aug 2010
66 Posts
Anchorage

PostSun Jul 26, 15 9:22 pm     Reply with quote

so many people are wound up way tooo tight, and being nice is not possible for them..you did the right thing to walk. this sport always seems have a few butt heads lurking. I guess winding the lines would reduce these encounters

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Jul 26, 15 9:46 pm     Reply with quote

Boy, I miss the bad old days when kites sucked but everyone at every kite launch in the world was your best friend. Yeah, kites & boards are worlds better today, but there just isn't the camaraderie there used to be. Don't get me wrong, there are still a bunch of great folks out there riding, but there are so many more tools than there used to be.

Sorry this happened to you. Just remember that that those two are almost certainly their own worst punishment. You get to go on enjoying life, and they have to live life in their own skins.

That said, I'll agree with the sentiment that you should roll your lines up between sessions. I'm sure you know the following, but it's surprising how many don't: When rolling up lines between sessions, do not let go of the bar. Wrap with one hand, and do not release the bar from the other hand for any reason until you've secured the lines with a half hitch. Do not pass the lines under the kite from front to back, pass the lines under the kite from the side only. This will prevent the lines from getting screwed up. (This same technique works for leaving your lines attached to the kite when you roll it up.) It takes all of 30 seconds to wrap up the lines and the same to unwrap when you're ready to launch again.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2060 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jul 27, 15 6:46 am     Reply with quote

[quote="Nak"]Boy, I miss the bad old days . . . but there are so many more tools than there used to be.

I'll agree with the sentiment that you should roll your lines up between sessions quote]

WORD! Takes two seconds to Wrap it UP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51270i8F3mU

Last edited by Sasquatch on Mon Jul 27, 15 7:27 am; edited 2 times in total

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
698 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Jul 27, 15 7:16 am     Reply with quote

One of my best friends from Colorado that I have know for 53 years is the head photographer for the Denver Broncos, ESPN, Sports illustrated etc. He came out to the Gorge to photograph kiteboarders at the event site and was totally turned off by the ATTITUDE of the kiters he tried to photograph and talk to. He said Payton Manning treats him like a equal, but the kiters were rude and acted like superior humanoids. It is up to us kids, to loose the attitude and share the stoke, the water and the beach. It is a minority, but it is out there!

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 27, 15 7:52 am     Reply with quote

"While there are no official "rules"
The" rule" is the very same rule we almost unconsciously apply in a crowded elevator or on a commercial airline... Get Smaller. Coil up your lines, don't take both armrests, minimize. Unless you're at Jones with 1K acres of empty sand.

WINDUDE

Since 10 Jun 2010
558 Posts
GORGE!
Addicted

PostMon Jul 27, 15 7:53 am     Reply with quote

you should roll your lines up when you come in for a break, and then unroll them when you are ready to go back out.

Side note, other person should put out lines and hook up when they are ready to go.

One should not leave lines extended out unless they are ready to go.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Jul 27, 15 8:32 am     Reply with quote

moondog wrote:
One of my best friends from Colorado that I have know for 53 years is the head photographer for the Denver Broncos, ESPN, Sports illustrated etc. He came out to the Gorge to photograph kiteboarders at the event site and was totally turned off by the ATTITUDE of the kiters he tried to photograph and talk to. He said Payton Manning treats him like a equal, but the kiters were rude and acted like superior humanoids. It is up to us kids, to loose the attitude and share the stoke, the water and the beach. It is a minority, but it is out there!

That's not my experience - I wouldn't characterize event site kiter's as "rude" especially if the big lens is out, I would go with "slutty"

A Tuesday in April launching off the grass is quite a different scene then a crowded high summer weekend (not to be contrarian but I think the state of stoke is improving - the bikini factor alone is worth schlepping the stupid foilboard the half mile thru thunderdome to the end of the spit, just keep your head on a swivel that 50kt gust does occasionally sneak up on ya)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 27, 15 8:55 am    Odd Reply with quote

moondog wrote:

This is quite odd. A lens is a kite magnet. Sometimes curious minds on the beach want to chit / chat and ask about the parachute thingy we are using. Be kind, if you want new innovations from the kite companies we are going to need to keep growing the sport. The original windsurfing crowd is getting old Very Happy

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Jul 27, 15 9:05 am     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
...... Do not pass the lines under the kite from front to back, pass the lines under the kite from the side only. This will prevent the lines from getting screwed up. (This same technique works for leaving your lines attached to the kite when you roll it up.) ....

My ego says I should have known this already, but I did not. Thanks for the tip. It explains why my outside lines are on the inside when I relaunch.

MikeZ

Since 17 Jul 2012
207 Posts
Beaverton / Seaside / Govy
Stoked

PostMon Jul 27, 15 12:23 pm     Reply with quote

Gman wrote:
moondog wrote:

That's not my experience - I wouldn't characterize event site kiter's as "rude" especially if the big lens is out, I would go with "slutty"

I agree - I've found kiters in the NW to be great overall. I'm sure there are problems occasionally, but I've yet to have one up here. When it does happen (like the episodes described here), it seems like an anomaly.

On the other hand, I just got back from Maui. I was impressed and happy with the conditions, but much less so with the attitudes of the kiters (primarily locals) - both on and off the water...

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostMon Jul 27, 15 2:14 pm     Reply with quote

PS. Don't pump up your kite, layout your lines and wander off. Laying out your lines should be done when you have your wetsuit on, harness ready ect.

PPS Have a good attitude. Remember we are getting to go kiting!

www.naishkites.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: