Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

confrontation today at Rosie
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
novocaine

Since 23 Sep 2010
79 Posts
Kennewick, wa

PostSat Jul 25, 15 7:24 pm    confrontation today at Rosie Reply with quote

Had a good day at Roosevelt, until I didn't. It was pretty crowded today, no parking, lots of kites, and people having a good time. Went out for a couple of hours then came in for lunch. Had my kite on the grass, lines connected and extended, ready to go after lunch. Lots of kites were pumped up with lines and kites all over. After lunch I went out to fly again. Asked a guy to help me launch, and conditions had deteriorated and was north so it wasn't ideal. As the guy was carrying my kite and I was walking my bar and lines back, I noticed a set of lines that appeared to be laying on my lines, with no kite connected an nobody in sight to ask about them. I tried to pull them off my lines while the guy waited holding my kite ready to launch. Tried to coil them as I pulled them back off my lines. I probably had to pull 1/2 to 1/3 of their lines off to free mine. Guy gets into position to launch my kite and here comes the guy and his wife who owned the lines laying on mine. Starts to get in my face telling me they were his lines and I should not have touched them. I agreed that messing with someone elses gear isn't cool, but I explained that they were laying across my lines while I was prepping to launch and had they been UNDER my lines I could have carried my gear and launched no problem. I apologized, offered to stow my gear and help him sort. He said No, that he would take care of it but continued to rant a bit.

Tried to launch my kite but wind changed directions 90 degrees while I had my kite in the air. Guy takes advantage of opportunity to come get even more in my face "Hey buddy, don't EVER touch my kite lines again, understand?" And he continued to just get pissy about it. Ok, by this time I'm getting pissed. How about "Hey buddy, I'm sorry I put my wifes kite lines over yours and next time I'll try to avoid that?" But no, he's not about to apologize or even acknowledge that I apologized and offered to help sort their lines with them. He continued to rant and his wife is over making a fuss. I walked over and said "can I help you with it?" She says "No, my husband will help me" but is visibly angry and seething by now. I packed up my gear and left. Not because the conditions were so bad, but the environment had deteriorated substantially.

So I put it out there to the public....what is the deal??? if this guy or his wife reads it they can't argue with how it went down. I'm sure they were angry about their lines, but come on, if you set up and your lines end up entwined in mine while I'm launching, what is smarter to do. remove them or launch and drag your bar and lines into the water with me??

It's exactly things like this that turn people off to the sport. Just because I was wearing a helmet today doesn't make me a newbie. Cut my teeth on a two liner years go on Maui, so this isn't my first rodeo. However, it's the first time I have run into someone who acted this way. I'm sure it won't be the last. So whoever you are that got so irate that I moved your lines, I hope you had a good session, that it helped reduce your stress. Next time just remember you aren't the ONLY ones out trying to kite, and leave your attitude wherever you came from. We're all just trying to have a safe and fun weekend on the water. Sorry for invading your space.

cheers.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Jul 25, 15 7:43 pm     Reply with quote

sorry you had a bad afternoon but just think

guys like him have a lot of bad days and just can't figure out why Rolling Eyes

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Jul 25, 15 7:51 pm     Reply with quote

Sounds like other guy was having a bad day, and that you did everything you could to smooth over a pretty common situation. In other words, he over reacted. That said, it's standard to wrap your lines on your bar up to your kite when taking a break. Otherwise you have lines all over the place.

novocaine

Since 23 Sep 2010
79 Posts
Kennewick, wa

PostSat Jul 25, 15 10:01 pm    good point Reply with quote

Good point on rolling up my lines. There was room when I landed and left them out, but it filled up a bit more so would have been better to have rolled em up! Wink

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSun Jul 26, 15 1:13 am     Reply with quote

So let's break this down:

Roosevelt = worst wind shaded launch in the gorge (or close second to home valley)

Kite and foot fucking goathead puncturevine randomly sprinkled thru launch area

You've pigged out getting the goods kiting all morning

Cock blocking others by not rolling up bar while you leisurely gorge on lunch

Poor sole sentenced to a life of setting up his wife's kite lines, asks nicely "this anyone's kite?" No response, so pumps kite and lays lines over yours

Pumps up his own kite, psyched to get out after not kiting for months, just as wind begins to shift and conditions going to shit - steps on foot fucker

The Mrs. Kite is now completely flaccid and hissing from 100 leading edge puncture wounds.

He limps barefoot back to the car to pump-up his third kite, while being berated by the missus for not being careful with her prize kite, a losing battle ensues on who will get to fly the 10m as they only had two.

Returns to find motherfucker creating spaghetti mess of kite lines, realizes he will never get on water

Loses his shit

Alternate possibilities: Dude is full-on batshit crazy. Honey Badger Up.

image.jpg 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostSun Jul 26, 15 5:32 am     Reply with quote

Sometimes we need these bad days to help us appreciate the good ones.

I really dislike confrontations like this.. I don't leave my lines out when taking a break even if I'm the only one around. I also don't leave my gear unattended once setup - so if my lines are on top of others and they prepare to launch I'm there to marshal my lines and gear so no one else has to.

Who knows what was going on in that camp and it's a shame this event continued to escalate.

Rest assured better days and more sessions are ahead.

www.freeridekiting.com

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jul 26, 15 7:07 am     Reply with quote

I am sorry this happened to you and thanks for posting. I agree with Eric and GMan. Proper etiquette dictates rolling up your lines when you are not actively kiting but there is no excuse for what the other guy did. Maybe he just got back from seeing Southpaw and his muscles were pumped to 6psi. I did and the moral of the movie is you've already lost once you've lost your temper. Roosevelt is a fickle, quirky, overcrowded goat head plaqued postage stamp of a place that is not worth the time to drive to.

Kerpella

Since 01 Aug 2014
58 Posts

PostSun Jul 26, 15 7:13 am     Reply with quote

Gman wrote:

Poor sole sentenced to a life of setting up his wife's kite lines, asks nicely "this anyone's kite?" No response, so pumps kite and lays lines over yours

Pumps up his own kite

The Mrs. Kite is now completely flaccid and hissing from 100 leading edge puncture wounds.

He limps barefoot back to the car to pump-up his third kite, while being berated by the missus for not being careful with her prize kite, a losing battle ensues on who will get to fly the 10m as they only had two.

No Comment on the confrontation, but this part in particular is an interesting one to me. My boyfriend got me into kiting, and while I was learning, he would help me pump my kite. I always ran my lines regardless. Once I became more into the sport it was critical I became more independent, as kiting needs to be a very independent sport. I pump my own kite, I set up my own things, but if he helps me out, I'm incredibly grateful. My Birthday this year for example, was the only day he pumped my kite entirely as a thoughtful gesture, and if he helps me in Any way, I'm grateful, so I don't understand the hissing part... If she cares about her gear, she can make sure its taken care of! Smile

I was told kiting is like driving a car. You're responsible for your own speed, actions and make sure you dont crash into anyone or crash at all. If you do, its critical you know what to do - On Your Own. How can she expect you to call AAA about a car accident you weren't around for after all..

Time to have an independence talk with the missus it sounds like.. And go get your own stoke on good kite pumping sir!
One kite per person = one pump-up per person! Wink

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSun Jul 26, 15 7:33 am     Reply with quote

was just teasing - absolutely no reason to get confrontational over having to spend 60 extra seconds to move/re-adjust/re-rig

Overly caffeinated guy and missus = complete tools

(most folks are super-nice but law of averages says you will occasionally run into crazies, best to take the high road and ignore, you acted respectfully, feel good about that and certainly don't let affect the day)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jul 26, 15 8:04 am     Reply with quote

Who touched whose lines first?

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostSun Jul 26, 15 8:23 am     Reply with quote

Sad to say about once a season I experience what you experienced. Somewhat comical to look back on was the guy walking up the beach with his kite in one hand and his bar in the other with his lines fully extended dragging behind... dragging kelp, a log, and then my board. Completely oblivious.

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 26, 15 8:38 am     Reply with quote

From kiteforum.com re leaving lines attached ... but applicable here too ...

"Hell yeah I leave my lines on. I'm too lazy to take the extra 1.3 minutes out of my important time to bother with running lines out.

Hell...just the other day I didn't even land my kite. I parked it at noon and tethered it to a nearby rock so all I need to do is just walk over and grab the bar and kite away. I even started sleeping in my harness and board shorts so I am not bothered by the 4 excruciating seconds it takes to put them on.

Detaching lines? I can't be bothered with that waste of time."

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Jul 26, 15 9:27 am     Reply with quote

A lot of good points on this post.

While there are no official "rules" for launching and landing kites, I try to live by the following. I believe it reduces my impact upon other kiters and allows for efficient use of the main launch/land zone. Also, in reducing my impact upon other kiters I am reducing my chances of an encounter with a kiter having a bad day Smile

Launching:
1) Pump up your kite out of the main launch/land area

2) Run your lines out of the main launch/land area (I happen to leave mine attached to my kite, so I usually skip this step)

3) If it is crowded and you are going to leave your kite for a while (perhaps to get ready) re-wrap your lines on your bar and secure your bar near your kite such that you know how to un-wrap without rolling your bar through your kite lines.

4) If you are unable to carry your board when you launch, move it to the edge of the water so you will not be blocking the launch zone for an unnecessary long period of time.

5) If you have to carry your kite quite a distance to the launch area (perhaps over many other kites) it is easier to carry your kite with the bar lines wrapped. However if I have a clean path to the launch I usually run my lines out again so that I am not too burdensome to the person I am asking for a launch.

6) Ask another kiter for a launch, and make an effort to get in/out of the launch/land zone in a safe but quick manner.

Landing:
Upon landing your kite, your kite will usually be placed directly in the launch/land zone. I feel it is my responsibility to quickly but safely move my kite out of this zone.

1) Upon receiving a landing, allow the person landing your kite to guide you to where they feel is the best place to land your kite. Some people may not feel comfortable walking all around with your kite. I feel it is safer to let them decide if they have the skills to do this.

2) Upon the lander choosing a location to place your kite, quickly move towards your kite to secure the kite. This usually requires unhooking from your bar such that you do not catch your line on rocks, twigs etc. If you do unhook from your lines, make a special note to place your bar down such that you will not roll your lines. This 1 second double check can save you from a lot of frustration later on.

3) If I have my board, I usually try to secure my kite with my board. If not, I find something (sand, kitebag etc.)

4) Upon securing my kite I immediately go back to my bar and wrap up my lines.

5) Upon wrapping my bar up to my kite, I then take my kite (with my lines attached) and move my kite out of the Launch/Land zone.

6) I then usually hang around for some good Karma and launch/land a few kites Smile

I think if everybody made an attempt to follow these guidelines we would all have less unhappy encounters and more kite stoke!!!

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jul 26, 15 10:45 am    LAX Control Tower Reply with quote

When the airfield is busy take up as little space as possible.

Clear active zones:
Roll up lines (still attached to kite).
Nest bar & lines on the inner bladder shaded from the damaging sun.
Park your craft to the side in a leeward lineup with others kites.

Ready to leave?
Like a book off the shelf; pull your craft out of the parking line-up & move to prep zone.
Unroll lines (that were still attache to the kite) & move to the launch zone.

Do NOT "park" your craft on the Run Way or Prep Area.

Be methodical and precise.
Community safety and respect will follow.
Angry Free Radicals are eliminated.

niknas

Since 18 Sep 2006
181 Posts
North of OR, South of WA
Stoked

PostSun Jul 26, 15 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

"When there are too many rats in a confined space they will turn on each other"

Last week I had similar incident at the Wunderbar. I am a big guy at 190 pounds, 5'11 and was lit on a 6m kite. When I was landing there was a couple (man & woman) rigging right along the waters edge. He grabbed my kite and threw some sand on it just behind their kite lines. I hollered thanks and I would finish securing it as I was running to my kite. Of course my lines were over theirs as he landed my kite over their lines. She immediately yelled at me to get my lines off hers just as I was starting to wind my lines. I called back to give me a minute to finish winding my lines and making sure my kite was secure. She, all of 5 foot, came running up me yelling about what a asshole I am for not getting not getting my lines off her kite ASAP and a what a nice guy he was for landing me. I got a little hot under my collar and let her know that what did she expect rigging right along the water edge and to calm down. I turned around to get her out of my face and she just like a little rat dog ran in front of me yelling that she lived here, I ask does that make you special? Then she said some thing that just blew me away "you want to hit me, go ahead and hit me!" At that point I grab my gear told her F*&k off and walk away. All this time he was continuing to rig their gear not looking in our direction. A few people witnessed the bizarre incident and couldn't figure out what set her off. Looking back at the incident it was quite comical as to her behavior. Only it put me in a foul mood after a great session on the water. Looking back at it I am guessing she was nervous because it was a big day and she is a intermediate kiter with too much adrenaline running through her system. Question

MEwing5000

Since 14 Nov 2005
34 Posts
Seattle

PostSun Jul 26, 15 12:48 pm     Reply with quote

Always roll your lines when taking a break like others have stated. I've added this to my lesson curriculum. It not only respects others right to rig and launch but protects your lines from others walking on and tangling them. Just my opinion though.

lekaks

Since 02 Apr 2008
151 Posts
Hood River, OR
Stoked

PostSun Jul 26, 15 2:27 pm     Reply with quote

If your session gets un-stoked by a simple disagreement you have to ask yourself how stoked you really are or how fragile your personality is. Although it can be challenging, even if someone enthusiastically suggests you go have sex with yourself the most sane response would be to laugh yourself to tears while you walk your kite to the water. A stranger's hostile comment should not derail a normal person's day, unless of course you are a weak minded imbecile.

All that said, it is always considered bad form to leave your toys out, especially when they take up 60 feet of the sand box.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: