Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

cabrihna problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jul 21, 15 7:08 pm    cabrihna problem Reply with quote

I was kiting at roosevelt today and had some problems with my cabrihna 12m. Once again the tubing on the strut valve coming from the leading edge came off. My struts stayed inflated but the leading edge lost all its air. The kite was so inverted and twisted that it was hard to even use as a sail to get back in. Thankfully another kiter towed me in. This is the second or third time this has happened and the kite is still new. Any sure fire suggestions as to prevent this from happening in the future?

Thanks

Ps I have never had this problem with my ralleys. Not sure if ss uses a different system

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 21, 15 7:14 pm     Reply with quote

Its actually a well know issue with Cabrinha kites. You get a spare "hose ring" in your kite repair kit. There is a "trick" to refitting the ring on the hoses shown in the attached video but they are a pain and zip ties are a simpler solution.

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2389239&p=891827

IMO - Its a love hate relationship with Cabrinha. Nice kites but stupid problems such as kite hose attachments, and bar issues.

skent

Since 08 Aug 2011
170 Posts
North Bend, WA & Lyle, WA
Stoked

PostTue Jul 21, 15 7:40 pm     Reply with quote

I love my Cabrinha's and their build quality however, I too have had this problem a few too many times. I have never had the hose just come off it is usually from when I am practicing tricks and crash/tomahawk my kite too hard. Sad I tend to inflate/pump may kites up fairly firm so I think one of the problems is that when I crash my kite hard the air within the bladder can't be pushed/distributed to other parts of the kite so the only think it can do is blow the hose off. I am going to experiment with not pumping my kite up so firm.

CGKA Member

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 21, 15 9:07 pm     Reply with quote

skent wrote:
I am going to experiment with not pumping my kite up so firm.

Been there and I would recommend using zip ties as the solution. Lower pressure in the smaller kites will cause the tips to fold under load (7M/9M Switchblade). Again, kite design, build, and fabric are good but these silly little problems are a pain and a lost time on the water. IMO - the gorge is no place to be screwing around with an unreliable kite.

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostTue Jul 21, 15 9:46 pm     Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the trouble, that really sucks.

zipties is a good fix.

I had it happen on my 14m switchblade last year after a really hard tomahawk.

For the record, this is not isolated to Cabrinha. I've had it happen to me personally on at least 3 other kite brands over the years. I won't name any names. Just want it to be clear its not a brand specific thing but a well documented one pump problem across the industry.

I used to also have issues with inflate and deflate valves opening on other brands as they stretch with age. At least with the sprint valve you don't have to worry about that. Seriously though, that sucks you had to swim in with a deflated kite. not cool.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 21, 15 10:50 pm     Reply with quote

Back when my kids were trying a lot of freestyle tricks and tomahawking their kites I used black electrical tape and it solved this problem completely. Pick any color tape you wish. Start tight wraps on the tube about an inch above where the tube attaches onto the nipple from the LE. Continue your wraps toward the LE, over the zip tie and be sure to do 2/3 wraps around whatever structure that protrudes from the LE. This anchors the wrap as opposed to just relying upon cinching like the zip tie does. Electrical tape is highly pliable, stays wrapped tight even when repeatedly wet and looks factory if you make tight, bicycle handlebar-like wraps. Zero tube pop offs for us after we did this.

Eric

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostTue Jul 21, 15 11:03 pm     Reply with quote

Happened to me too on a brand new kite (during first session) after tomawaking it with passion! Since then, I have been regularly checking my leading edge to strut connections and making sure that the rings are fully pushed and securing the hoses on the valves. I have had the problem again recently but that was my mistake after replacing my leading edge bladder and not taking the time to fully resecuring the hoses properly with the rings. I think the Cabrinha design for strut connection is clean and works if you take the time to secure the rings properly however the neoprene protections are a bit of pain to put back and I am not sure they add any value. Personally, I have been much more annoyed by the large center line stretch on the 2014 or earlier Cab bars that can't be tuned after a while without using rear line extension. Right now, I have to ride my 2014 Contra fully depowered for it to fly properly. It would be nice if Cabrinha could provide rear line extensions by default with their new kite.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 22, 15 5:45 am     Reply with quote

sromano1995 wrote:
It would be nice if Cabrinha could provide rear line extensions by default with their new kite.

There is considerable range of adjustment in the existing pigtails. If you look at the way the pigtail is attached to the flying line, it's doubled over and secured to itself... The knot can be moved up and down the pigtail to adjust the length or the knot removed and the pigtail attached directly to the flying line without being doubled over.

When I blew a Cabrinha front line and could not get a timely replacement, I replaced the flying lines with Ozone 23M lines and there was plenty of range in the pig tails to accommodate the slight difference in line length.

Last edited by dwaynej on Wed Jul 22, 15 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total

luke

Since 06 Jul 2005
399 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 22, 15 6:48 am    works great Reply with quote

As a few people have mentioned, during a very hard tomahawk of the kite into the water, the compression fitting on the hose can pop off. This has happened to me a couple of times over the past 9 or so years that Cabrinha has been using this type of hose connector. It can be a little frustrating as you need to come in and re-pump the kite. Then I came to this realization. The very seldom popping off of the hose during a hard tomahawk is like a pressure-relief valve and allows the compressed air in the leading edge to escape prior to damaging the leading edge from a catastrophic blow-out. Super happy with the system as is. I am sure it has saved me a couple of repairs from Airtime.

honda1, if your hose is popping off without tomahawking the kite, then it does sound like you need a fix. Take it in to Big Winds and have them take a look.

check out this kite durability clip while tomahawking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-nSeWe9QFc

Wally Gator

Since 23 Sep 2012
38 Posts

PostWed Jul 22, 15 7:04 am     Reply with quote

I also had that happen twice had to self rescue in .I used zip ties after that too . That was with 2012 kite I'm surprised they haven't went to some other device yet.

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostWed Jul 22, 15 8:07 am    Re: works great Reply with quote

luke wrote:
The very seldom popping off of the hose during a hard tomahawk is like a pressure-relief valve and allows the compressed air in the leading edge to escape prior to damaging the leading edge from a catastrophic blow-out.

Thats a good point!

I'd also think that if this is happening to you repeatedly that either you haven't re-seated the hose properly or another possibility is that you could be putting too much air in the kite.

For me its only happened once on a cab kite and I found it took me about a dozen tries to get the clip and hose properly seated so that it wouldn't come off after a moderate force pull test. It also seems like performing the pull test helps lock the clip in place.

bustingbladder

Since 12 Jul 2006
386 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 23, 15 7:47 am     Reply with quote

Never had this problem and have been abusing Cabrinha kites for years. I also do kite repairs and if you don't install the hoses correctly after a bladder repair, this can happen. If hoses installed properly, these kites can take a pounding without any issues!

Wally Gator, you're not me!....

Transcend Apparel http://www.transcendapparel.com/
Urban Surf http://www.urbansurf.com/
Alohabrothers Racing Oahu, HI

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostThu Jul 23, 15 7:53 am     Reply with quote

whoa! there are two Wally Gators???

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostThu Jul 23, 15 10:46 am     Reply with quote

dwaynej wrote:

There is considerable range of adjustment in the existing pigtails. If you look at the way the pigtail is attached to the flying line, it's doubled over and secured to itself... The knot can be moved up and down the pigtail to adjust the length or the knot removed and the pigtail attached directly to the flying line without being doubled over.

Thanks Dwaynej! I had already tuned my lines (moving the knot) to max but what I had not thought about is to remove the knot and reset the pigtail directly to the line (instead of the double over). I just checked my 2014 overdrive bar and this should give me an extra 2 inches on the rear lines! Thanks for the tip!!!... (I am still a bit baffled by the amount of extension after one season on these lines)

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 23, 15 11:59 am     Reply with quote

One more reason to like my multi-pump kites. More parts...more problems...KISS

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostTue Jul 28, 15 12:26 pm     Reply with quote

ahhh so that's why it takes you forever to get rigged and packup Laughing

no one pump Wink

SalmonSlayer wrote:
One more reason to like my multi-pump kites. More parts...more problems...KISS

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jul 31, 15 12:51 pm     Reply with quote

C Johnson wrote:
whoa! there are two Wally Gators???

LOL!

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: