Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Explain how this is a backside air reverse?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jul 17, 15 11:34 am    Explain how this is a backside air reverse? Reply with quote

Rookie question, but I see Garbrielle is riding super tubes here during J Bay, he is coming down the line catches air and spins moving toward his front side. So wouldnt this be a frontside air? Why is it called a backside air (reverse).
Sick run.

http://www.worldsurfleague.com/posts/130089/medinas-round-3-960

EasyDuzzit

Since 29 Jul 2013
22 Posts
Florence

PostFri Jul 17, 15 12:06 pm     Reply with quote

He's riding the wave backside (back to the wave). Not sure why they call it a reverse and not a 360.

dcfordo

Since 19 May 2011
60 Posts
The Dalles

PostFri Jul 17, 15 12:59 pm     Reply with quote

I think the move is normally landed backwards, hence "reverse". I guess they just ignore the fact that he finishes the spin in the air.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jul 17, 15 1:08 pm     Reply with quote

ok, but he is rotating frontside? Or is it always labeled by the way you are riding the wave?

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jul 17, 15 1:46 pm     Reply with quote

I think it is a reverse because he is rotating it counterclockwise instead of clockwise as would normally be done when doing backside aerials going right.

surfer

Since 02 Aug 2012
51 Posts
westport, wa

PostFri Jul 17, 15 4:28 pm     Reply with quote

His back is to the wave. backside air rev. Wish I could do one Cool

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
881 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostFri Jul 17, 15 7:06 pm     Reply with quote

Medina is a goofy foot and surfs rights like J-Bay on his backside, thus it is a backside air no matter which way he rotates. Also remember that he is part of the worlds best elite surfers and mere mortals can't do that shit.

Twisted Evil

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jul 17, 15 7:18 pm     Reply with quote

The big deal isn't that he is riding backside its the direction of his spin that's impressive.

trailboss

Since 08 Aug 2006
95 Posts
HR

PostFri Jul 17, 15 9:51 pm     Reply with quote

Windian wrote:
Medina is a goofy foot and surfs rights like J-Bay on his backside, thus it is a backside air no matter which way he rotates. Also remember that he is part of the worlds best elite surfers and mere mortals can't do that shit.

Twisted Evil

He is surfing backside and the direction of his spin is backside, if he spun the other direction it would be alley oop, but I would call it a 540 not an air reverse. Air reverse's are generally landed at 360 (fins toward the beach) and then reverted around. He spun this one clear to 540 (nose facing the beach) before his board touched the water.

Mtjustice100

Since 14 Jun 2014
49 Posts

PostSat Jul 18, 15 12:27 am     Reply with quote

I don't know if its better or worse that kiteboarding just calls this a frontroll.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: