Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

airtime replacement valve problems??!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
hoarhey

Since 20 Jul 2008
63 Posts
the corridor

PostWed Jul 15, 15 9:52 pm    airtime replacement valve problems??!? Reply with quote

First off, Airtime is an awesome company. Their employees are super cool and do quality work. And up until this year I have never had any complaints about any product or repair they have put out. So this isn't a complaint. This is a query. Had anybody else been having problems with the new "foamy" replacement valves?

Background story: this year I replaced the dump valves on my two 08 North kites. My 10m had both leading edge valves replaced about 4 years ago with the old replacement valves. I replaced the replaced dump valve this year. My 7m was new to me last year and when the original dump valve had issues, I decided to be proactive and replaced the "in" valve at the same time. The very first time I took my 7m out I almost had a kitemare and nursed my super soft leading edge in and successfully isolated the leak to the "in" valve using the dunk method. I replaced it the next day and chalked it up to cutting corners and not being thorough and as careful as I was on the other two repairs. ( reminder for those that weren't following: I replaced the dump valves on both kites first. About two weeks ago.) Today I went to pump up my 7m and F@$&! There was a his coming from my dump valve. My field (sandbar) inspection revealed that the plastic insert separated from the foamy and was leaking at the edge of the plastic because the glue failed.

I'm sure Airtime will take care of me when I talk to them in the morning, but I just want to be informed; has anybody else replaced their valve with the foamy? And how are they holding up?
Bro's at Airtime: I hope that feedback from this post is informative about your product. I also hope that my experience is personal and not a serious manufacturing issue.
Thank you for reading my post and replying with serious and positive criticism.

airtimekite

Since 10 Aug 2005
28 Posts
13th and Wasco

PostThu Jul 16, 15 8:53 am     Reply with quote

First off, thanks for the awesome comment. I personally spend the better part of my day trying to be awesome.

Yes, other people with your same kite have had the same problem with our Valve Traps. Usually the dump valve. The problem is a result of the valve distance on the original bladder. If you were to measure the distance between the valve holes on the fabric sleeve and the valves on the North bladder I think you will find that the valve distance on the bladder is slightly shorter (distance between last Lazy Pump connector valve to wingtip dump valve). So when the kite is inflated it pulls on the valves.

Here's the down and dirty. What makes our Valve Traps work so well is also their weakness. The adhesive in the valve never sets up, it's always a bit gooey. This keeps an air tight seal even when the valves age and leach plasticizer. The weakness is that the valves can be pulled out of the Valve Traps with a constant side force. That is what is happening with you. The constant pull, due to incorrect valve spacing, causes the valve to creep until it finally fails.

Now when one of these kites comes through the door with a failing valve we explain that a new l.e. bladder is needed. It sucks, because a new l.e. bladder is a whole lot more than a $9 Valve Trap but it is what it is.

If you, or anyone, has purchased a Valve Trap to fix a dump valve on a North Rebel with this problem and it failed we'll credit you what you spent on the Valve Trap towards a new l.e. (with correct valve spacing).

Casey

AIRTIME kite, Inc.
1225 Wasco St.
Suite B
Hood River, OR 97031

T: 541.387.3910

www.airtimekite.com

hoarhey

Since 20 Jul 2008
63 Posts
the corridor

PostThu Jul 16, 15 9:03 am     Reply with quote

Thank you Casey for your reply. Yeah, you described exactly what happened. Not looking forward to purchasing a bladder, but on the bright side I haven't spent my morning peeling the old foamy off my bladder before I read this. See you guy in an hour or two.

hoarhey

Since 20 Jul 2008
63 Posts
the corridor

PostThu Jul 16, 15 5:10 pm     Reply with quote

A big thanks to the crew at Airtime to get me a new leading edge a day earlier than you quoted me this morning. I had a great sesh today thanks to you all. A big thank you to Brogan for all your expertise and advice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: