Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Heads UP- Attempted Car break in at the Wunderbar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
wallydog

Since 30 May 2012
223 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jul 12, 15 8:54 pm    Heads UP- Attempted Car break in at the Wunderbar Reply with quote

My friend had his van forcibly broken into this afternoon at the Underwood Sandbar. The thief was probably foiled by someone walking by. Nothing was stolen but the lock on his van door was destroyed by a chisel and hammer so the door will no longer lock. He was very lucky as he had lots of valuables in the van.
We need to watch for any suspicious activity around the cars. Lock and keep valuable items out of sight.
Did anyone else have their rig tampered with?

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostSun Jul 12, 15 9:48 pm     Reply with quote

Any ideas on what time?

www.freeridekiting.com

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Jul 13, 15 7:11 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the report, I was wondering how long it would take before our first break-in. I see some sketchy people walking by about every 2 weeks. Luckily there is quite a bit of foot traffic to and from cars. Confront people if they look suspicious!

wallydog

Since 30 May 2012
223 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jul 13, 15 7:54 am     Reply with quote

It was between 1 and 4. That was a fairly busy time down there yesterday. Probably prevented a theft.

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 13, 15 9:13 am     Reply with quote

Maybe we can get a friend on the bluff to point a webcam that way. And/or post video surveilance signs . They are a great theft detereent

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 13, 15 1:05 pm     Reply with quote

....or if you see someone suspicious then take their picture , and let them see you doing it. Aother good dis-incentive to a would be thief.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostMon Jul 13, 15 10:02 pm     Reply with quote

I saw a Toyota camper make a few laps and figured they were looking for parking. Later though I saw a small older black car parked parallel to the road between the wine shop and the cook underwood road. Guy runs across the road from the parked.cars thought that odd.

Would of been early afternoon. I Wanted to kite but my arms still hurt from the kb4c event so I went for a road trip.

www.freeridekiting.com

rtz

Since 12 May 2013
7 Posts

Kook

PostWed Jul 15, 15 9:25 pm     Reply with quote

Post an ad on Craigslist and pay someone a nominal fee to sit and guard the parking area?

Or put a little camera looking device on a vehicle or some obvious place so it is seen:

Or put a little sign on the ground that mentions the area is monitored by video surveillance.

Just some ideas.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 16, 15 10:05 am     Reply with quote

My folks live up on the bluff near Underwood. Their house got broken into when they were gone a few years back. No shortage of cranksters in the area looking for a quick smash and grab. Surprised it hadn't happened earlier. Keep your goodies under lock and key. They are an opportunistic lot, so don't give them the opportunity.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: