Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Self-Launch – Lines up wind or downwind?
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 01, 15 7:41 am    Self-Launch – Lines up wind or downwind? Reply with quote

Did my first self-launch yesterday with some instruction. All the people have talked to, start by attaching kite with lines up wind. I noticed every once in while they will get there lines tangled. I was taught the downwind line method. I like that I can visually see that all my lines are attached correctly and test for tangles. Is having the lines up wind a personal preference or better for self-launching?

Crazy winds at Lincoln City yesterday.

Anthony

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostWed Jul 01, 15 8:14 am     Reply with quote

My personal thoughts and experience on the topic:
- Rigging upwind - I would end-up rigging incorrectly (crossed steering lines with centerline or briddle not properly deployed) about 20% of the time even after "thinking" that I had checked everything
- Rigging downwind - never rigged incorrectly (at least not yet Wink ) because it is easier to see indeed all your lines connecting to the attachment points and making sure that briddles don't have any tangles. But I still managed to get a steering line knot at launch time yesterday which made it for a fun launch! Smile

So, now, if I am going to self-launch, I systematically rig downwind because the last thing I want is a tangled briddle once the kite powers (which happened a couple of times to me in the last couple of years when rigging upwind or after leaving the kite on busy beach for a while).

Last edited by sromano1995 on Wed Jul 01, 15 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 01, 15 8:18 am     Reply with quote

I always rig my lines downwind, it's probably mostly a habit and I don't think too much about rigging upwind unless I have no space otherwise. As for self-launching I believe a downwind rig should work better since you can just tension the lines and move to the edge of wind window while your kite slowly rotates.

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 01, 15 8:24 am    Re: Self-Launch – Lines up wind or downwind? Reply with quote

Anthony wrote:
I was taught the downwind line method. I like that I can visually see that all my lines are attached correctly and test for tangles. Is having the lines up wind a personal preference or better for self-launching?

Its a personal preference. Upwind, downwind, or from the side, whichever method you are most comfortable with. I prefer the downwind method for the very reasons you state; I can visually see that the lines and bridle are clean and even give a very light test pull to make sure the lines are even (an uneven bar may alert you to a tangle, particularly in the bridle, that you may have missed).

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jul 01, 15 8:24 am     Reply with quote

if the launch allows it, I always rig downwind. This way your lines are downwind of your kite, no accidental power up can happen, and you can obviously do a good visual check. For self launching, where you basically pull on a steering line to get the kite to roll up on a wing tip at the edge of the window and be ready to launch, id think that if at all possible youd want to rig downwind.

As far as rigging and going, I think most riders are creatures of habit and just go for what they know. And to that point, if rigging upwind works for you, then go for it.

If i am not rigging downwind and cannot visually verify that everything is as it should be, i grab both steering lines where they attach to the bridle and walk them back to the bar. This also verifies that my rig is safe. I think that this was called 'boxing' or the 'box method'. Whatever. Be safe, have fun. Being smart will help you do both.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 01, 15 8:38 am     Reply with quote

OG wrote:
If i am not rigging downwind and cannot visually verify that everything is as it should be, i grab both steering lines where they attach to the bridle and walk them back to the bar. This also verifies that my rig is safe. I think that this was called 'boxing' or the 'box method'. Whatever. Be safe, have fun. Being smart will help you do both.

That's a great point, every time after attaching the lines to the kite, when I'm ready to launch I walk to the bar holding both steering lines, it's a great last check that your rig is clean (it's basically "free" since you have to walk to the bar anyway, and you don't loose time to walk the lines from bar to the kite second time if you want to double check).

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jul 01, 15 8:48 am    My vote and preference is downwind Reply with quote

I much prefer downwind for the reason you state. . .you can see the lines and connection points. The one nice thing about rigging one's lines upwind, especially when the winds are strong (9m or less), is that the wind helps keep the lines untangled.

Not sure about the percentages, but I'm pretty sure a large amount of accidents and injuries occur when launching and landing kites. Best to keep it simple, routine, etc etc

Last edited by Sasquatch on Wed Jul 01, 15 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Jul 01, 15 9:00 am     Reply with quote

Good points

I always rig downwind and pull lines tight and a take a moment to see all perfect from bar to kite - if the kite has bridles / I give the pulleys a spin / clear sand and also check the ground for razor clam shells, meth needles, seaweed etc the kite might drag over as I launch

I will walk a ways from the crew - so my self launch isn't dragging across someone else's lines - seen kites snag on others lines and create a cluster nightmare

Be extra careful if the beach has people - like maybe re-think your plan, walk a ways, don't be the guy horse-shoeing the family of five and their beach picnic

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 01, 15 9:56 am     Reply with quote

also check out this trick where you submerge the leading edge before you drift launch. It is awesome.

https://youtu.be/b6tBK4KnlPU?t=45s

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostWed Jul 01, 15 12:06 pm     Reply with quote

When you do an assisted launch. One of the first things you do is check your lines to make sure they are not crossed when you put tension on the lines. When you do a tethered launch - you hold your kite, put tension on the lines and check for any crosses or tangles. The only way to check for crossed lines or tangles on a self launch is to rig downwind. Pull each steering line to make sure they are free. As you walk to the side of the kite to launch, keep a little tension on the lines and they are less likely to tangle or less likely to pick up debris. If there is room - downwind is the way to go.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 01, 15 12:12 pm     Reply with quote

Blazeheliski wrote:
When you do an assisted launch. One of the first things you do is check your lines to make sure they are not crossed when you put tension on the lines. When you do a tethered launch - you hold your kite, put tension on the lines and check for any crosses or tangles. The only way to check for crossed lines or tangles on a self launch is to rig downwind. Pull each steering line to make sure they are free. As you walk to the side of the kite to launch, keep a little tension on the lines and they are less likely to tangle or less likely to pick up debris. If there is room - downwind is the way to go.

Good advice here. Also worth mentioning that in high winds a tethered launch/land is the way to go if you don't have anyone to help with an assisted launch. If a self launch goes bad in 30+ mph winds, things can get really bad very quickly. And self landing techniques don't work well in high winds (except maybe flagging out onto one line, which often means you have a tangled mess to clean up).

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostWed Jul 01, 15 3:31 pm    Lone dissenter Reply with quote

I guess I am the lone dissenter. I always rig my lines upwind from the kite. That's what I've always done, and that is what I am comfortable with.

Rigging downwind from the kite, you have to set up the bar "backwards", and I was never comfortable with that.

At the end of the day, it's what works for you.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 01, 15 3:36 pm     Reply with quote

Good discussion... Would love to chat self landing also:)

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 01, 15 4:59 pm     Reply with quote

If you want to be an intelligent and safe kiter, you need to become comfortable rigging upwind, downwind, and to the side. There are situations in which any of these may be your only option, or safest option.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 01, 15 5:49 pm     Reply with quote

[quote="bwd"]If you want to be an intelligent and safe kiter, you need to become comfortable rigging upwind, downwind, and to the side. There are situations in which any of these may be your only option, or safest option.[/quo

Thank gosh someone saw the light. Anyone who says they only rig one way are cutting themselves off from some spots where you can not rig the way you want or in other situations where people are just in your way!! Time to get comfy with all angles.

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 01, 15 9:20 pm    Yes, lets talk about landing Reply with quote

Pay attention, where and when your landing. Those that come in and land across 3 kites rigging and one launching. Pull the head out, there is a lit of sand

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 02, 15 11:06 am     Reply with quote

My experience is more along Pete's lines (no pun intended). I learned upwind rigging first and became more comfortable with it. What I found is that I don't have to drag the leading edge of my kite (or my lines) around so much when I pull from an upwind position, and I fly 5-line Rebels and never had a problem seeing the lines clearly from upwind, but I have more experience self-launching that way so maybe it's just my perception. I think bwd nailed it though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: