Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Envy vs. Razor?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Gagead

Since 24 Jun 2015
3 Posts

Kook

PostWed Jun 24, 15 4:41 pm    Envy vs. Razor? Reply with quote

I am new to the sport with a few lessons under my belt and am in the market for my first kite. I have narrowed my search (availability/budget) to a Liquid Force Envy and an Ocean Rodeo Razor (both 8 m2). It seems like the Envy is more beginner oriented, but the Razor has more potential as I progress (?). I would greatly appreciate recommendations or advice.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostWed Jun 24, 15 7:46 pm     Reply with quote

First off...... There is an unwritten rule on NWKite that there are no brand vs brand threads.

Kite reviews are welcome without bias.

Both kites are great kites. I don't know who told you that the Envy is more of a beginner kite though. Some of the very top pros ride Envys so I wouldn't let that change which one you go with.

For your first kite, I would get something easy to re-launch, somewhat durable, not extra fast and be prepared to upgrade later on. I would look at kites made from 2012 or 2013 for the best pricing if you are getting used.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 24, 15 8:31 pm    8m2? Reply with quote

So just my two cents:

I learned just a couple years ago and started with a 10m RPM. I'm 165 lbs and this was the right choice for size of kite. I actually kited that size more than any other kite even after I got a 12m and then an 8m.

As many others have said to similar questions on this forum recently: go big enough to give you plenty of power, and 8m is a super fun size to kite but the conditions are infrequently that strong. Of course, as you advance, an 8m can be used in a much wider variety of conditions by using a surf board (vs tt) and flying the kite aggressively. But you won't do this starting out.

And as the previous poster said, both are good kites. I flew an Envy and liked it, never flew a Razor but obviously an up-and-coming brand with good rep.

You're about to sip the koolaid...Enjoy the trip!!!

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 24, 15 9:46 pm     Reply with quote

With the kites you're looking at, and that fact that you're just starting out, I'd recommend you take a look at the OR Prodigy. My buddy switched over to them after being on Razor's for a long time, and loves them. I think those kites will do everything you want them to and then some...

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 24, 15 10:03 pm     Reply with quote

The OR Razor is more suited to kiteloops and wakestyle, generally not beginner stuff.

Gagead

Since 24 Jun 2015
3 Posts

Kook

PostThu Jun 25, 15 5:34 am     Reply with quote

I apologize for the forum faux pas, but appreciate the clarification and all the advice. I definitely want to maximize my wind range and will look into some larger sizes/other modules.

Thanks!

MIXWELL

Since 10 Mar 2007
496 Posts
LGP COUGAR HUNTING ChEETO SLAYER
Windmixer

PostThu Jun 25, 15 6:31 am     Reply with quote

go delta shape

proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostMon Jul 06, 15 5:59 pm     Reply with quote

Both great kites. Go with the Envy. The Razor is kinda twitchy and can be a handful for a beginner. It'll require a ton of attention that should honestly be spent elsewhere, in my opinion. I wouldn't worry about hitting the "ceiling" on either kite any time soon. From "beginner" to "I've outgrown this kite" should be a very long road.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: