Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

We lost a good friend / kiter.
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
PieroPDX

Since 22 May 2006
109 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jun 28, 15 6:29 pm     Reply with quote

WHAT?! Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
RIP buddy...no words.

PieroPDX

Since 22 May 2006
109 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jun 28, 15 7:26 pm    :( Reply with quote

Sharing a berry pie at the KB4C awards ceremony.

RIP_Stevie.jpg 

PieroPDX

Since 22 May 2006
109 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jun 28, 15 7:55 pm     Reply with quote

http://www.anewtradition.com/obituaries/obituary/11613_Steven_Michael_Perrone

2015-06-28 08.49.57 pm.jpg 

Kerpella

Since 01 Aug 2014
58 Posts

PostTue Jun 30, 15 8:34 am     Reply with quote

I met Steve at Stevenson a week and a half ago. I got the privilege to meet him when we were the last 2 people on the water, I was trying jumps and lost my board. Chop was too high and I couldn't see it after searching for a while. I shouted over to him (20ft downwind of me) that I couldn't see my board as the wind started dying. This man did some amazing upwind tacks to get my board for me that was a good 50ft upwind of me and maybe 70ft from him. Without him, I very well could've lost my board. Met him up with him to talk and thank him for grabbing my board and making sure I had it again. He was nice enough to give me some tips for board recovery when you can't see it and I was extremely thankful. Never did get that pack of beer to him, but he was a great guy. RIP Steve, thanks for the great session together!

Kerpella

Since 01 Aug 2014
58 Posts

PostTue Jun 30, 15 9:23 am     Reply with quote

"He was always so supportive of me as a single girl learning to kite. So sad." - Humaira

stevenson.jpg 

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Jun 30, 15 9:44 am     Reply with quote

Kerpella wrote:
Never did get that pack of beer to him

Well I didn't know him personally, but saw him around and he seemed like a nice guy. I believe he had his service last Friday and so Steve was kind enough to make sure it blew extra hard out at SI and Lot B (even the Willamette) for people to enjoy.

So a ritual I personally employ is to crack and drink a beer pre rigging/rigging time to relax, check the wind strength, and get into the right frame-of-mind.

My first few ounces of beer I always pour out as a sacrifice into the wind to thank the Wind Gods for the winds and my upcoming session on the water.

Kerpella, you could do the same with the six pack you never got to share with Steve.

Next 6 sessions on the water, pour a little out and think of Steve and the lessons he taught you and the stoke an enthusiasm he carried about the sport and for the people he shared it with. You could also do this post kite session if you don't want to imbibe beer before your kite session; just a suggestion.

RIP STEVE and good winds to all!

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostTue Jun 30, 15 2:18 pm     Reply with quote

I didn't know Steve all that well, but I knew him well enough to know he was a good dude. I spent some time with him on a pretty epic snowkite trip.

He never could remember my name lol, but he always went out of his way to greet me.

I would love to know what happened.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: