Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Any advice for nerve pain in elbows?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kitebug

Since 27 Apr 2015
40 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Jun 29, 15 7:48 am     Reply with quote

I got the same thing really bad when I first learned a couple years ago, because I was steering like a steering wheel instead of push/pull. I'm sure that's not the issue, but when I looked into it I did a few things that eliminated it:

1) Stopped steering the mac truck.
2) Much lighter touch on the bar. I never grip the bar with my thumb under the bar - a complete overhand grip with my thumb over the top with the rest of my fingers.
3) I did an exercise with a wooden dowel. Drilled a hole in it, put a 3' length of string through the hole and knotted it off and tied a weight to the end. Roll up the string / weight to build up forearm muscles.

It's caused by gripping hard while simultaneously flexing your forearms to move the kite. It's the grip / flex combo that puts the strain on that nerve.

Hope that helps, I know that condition is quite painful, Oh, and it also helped to rest it to full recovery.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 29, 15 8:20 am     Reply with quote

kitebug wrote:
It's caused by gripping hard while simultaneously flexing your forearms to move the kite. It's the grip / flex combo that puts the strain on that nerve.

Hope that helps, I know that condition is quite painful, Oh, and it also helped to rest it to full recovery.

Thanks, the grip+flex is a good point, the elbows definitely get more painful when steering the kite more aggressively with both hands close to middle of the bar. Finding a week of rest might be a good idea in theory but is hard when you see good wind in the forecast Smile I think I need to go camping far away from the Columbia Wink

Wanna-Go

Since 14 Sep 2009
95 Posts
Central, Wa

PostMon Jun 29, 15 2:57 pm     Reply with quote

I had a combination of golfers and tennis elbow that lasted for a while and tried acupuncture and with 4 treatments it faded away.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: