Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Any advice for nerve pain in elbows?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 22, 15 11:33 am    Any advice for nerve pain in elbows? Reply with quote

Hi, usually when have a long exhausting session I end up with some nerve pain in one or both elbows (basically something like Ulnar Nerve Entrapment) and wind chill also intensifies the issue. Since I've switched to short wetsuit with the summer temps I'm thinking about getting some neoprene sleeves to cover the elbows when kiting, but I was wondering if you've experienced similar issue and if you have any good advice in handling it.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jun 22, 15 12:11 pm    Re: Any advice for nerve pain in elbows? Reply with quote

voy-tech wrote:
Hi, usually when have a long exhausting session I end up with some nerve pain in one or both elbows (basically something like Ulnar Nerve Entrapment) and wind chill also intensifies the issue. Since I've switched to short wetsuit with the summer temps I'm thinking about getting some neoprene sleeves to cover the elbows when kiting, but I was wondering if you've experienced similar issue and if you have any good advice in handling it.

Did you recently kite a lot? Are you learning how to jump and sending the kite a lot? And or did you kite and were under-powdered and so had to sign the kite a lot in order to generate speed/power?

#1 Advil
#2 Rub out the knots and painful places with a thing that looks like a super-sized jack. It has round wooden balls on the end.

#3 Ride a bigger kite

Not sure what the sensitivity to cold issue is?

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 22, 15 12:17 pm     Reply with quote

I had this since long time ago when I was windsurfing 10 years ago, and it pops up now and then when kitesurfing, usually when I'm pushing myself more when jumping and trying new things. The impact of cold I've noticed is that once I warm the elbow after kiting (or in between when taking a break) the pain subdues, traditionally I didn't had that many kite days as I get now living in Oregon, so looks like I'll need to look after it a little more.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jun 22, 15 1:37 pm     Reply with quote

I would go to a good physical therapist. I have had a ton of positive results from "The Kor" in Hillsboro but they have other locations. one example - I damaged a nerve on my left side while bench pressing. I went from benching 250lb to literally not being able to manage one push up. They created a whole training program that got me back to full strength in 6 weeks.

they also went through some proper stretching and conditioning exercises for my back which also helped keep away the various aches and pains from kiteboarding.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 22, 15 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

hmmmm, if your elbow hurts when it gets cold - don't let it get cold.

1. try a neoprene sleeve - cheap option.

2. kite with a wider bar.
wider bars give you more leverage to turn the kite. easier on the elbow.
it helped a friend who was having elbow pain.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jun 22, 15 2:47 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
hmmmm, if your elbow hurts when it gets cold - don't let it get cold.

1. try a neoprene sleeve - cheap option.

2. kite with a wider bar.
wider bars give you more leverage to turn the kite. easier on the elbow.
it helped a friend who was having elbow pain.

Spot on and I meant to type/add that in when I said switch to a bigger kite b/c bigger kites often have bigger bars. Bigger bars makes a huge difference. I had the same issue when back when I was learning out at SI and often times you had to walk up the beach/up wind and sign the kite like hell just to be able to get on to plan for 100 yards or so.

That and learning how to jump. . .

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jun 22, 15 5:41 pm    Re: big kite and big bar Reply with quote

.... Say goodbye to riding rooster rock when the easterlies switch on Smile Ive tried riding a 6m with a 55cm bar (forgot my smaller bar) and it's not awesome.

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jun 22, 15 8:34 pm    Oh man I feel your pain! Reply with quote

I have a similar problem. It's started when I rode turbos (heavy bar pressure). Got rid of those.. Still happens a bit if I jump and try new moves. Cold bothered it as well.

I tried physical therapy for 8 weeks. Had injection PRP (I think that's the acronym). That helped...had that done 3 times. Next would have been surgery...

Started acupuncture with electro-therapy. It seemed like a miracle because it worked! I am typically not a fan of any kind of eastern medicine but I was desperate.....just happened that my boss's son had finished his masters in acupuncture so I tried it on her advice. It took a bit of time but the pain went away.

It bothers me more when I jump lots but I calm it by seeing my guy once a month. I do stretch somewhat regularly.

Best of luck.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 23, 15 6:16 am     Reply with quote

I always bring back 10 tubes of Voltarin Cream when I return from Mexico. It's a topical NSID that is super cheap down there ($1.60 per tube). I keep a tube in my glove box for the drive home from kiting. Helps all aches every time. Can also be purchased in the US:
http://www.voltarengel.com/consumer/default.aspx

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 23, 15 6:26 am     Reply with quote

could be tennis elbow. I get it too, usually early in the season and it is something I can work through. On another note some people claim alfalfa sprouts work wonders:

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-27767.html

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 23, 15 6:40 am     Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I use voltarin cream for various injuries but in this case it does not help since it's a nerve issue not tissue/bone injury. I've researched it and it's neither tennis or golfer elbow which are related to tendons in the elbow, this is strictly nerve pain coming from ulnar nerver being compressed or otherwise irritated.

Rooster is too much fun to give up, worst case I'll just shorten my sessions there Smile

I might try acupuncture at some point if it gets too much.
Not sure if I can get wider bars though, I primarily use 12m Rally and a 10m Bandit (with the Rally bar) which use the wide Slingshot bar.

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostTue Jun 23, 15 7:06 am     Reply with quote

Perhaps an osteopath could help you out?

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Jun 23, 15 9:13 am     Reply with quote

light wind - pumping a big kite = can aggravate the elbows

notice this since doing more foil boarding - seems the added resistance of the foil underwater, marginal light winds and dragging around/falling as a newb. This one is probably more tennis elbow/tendon related

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

marina

Since 16 Jan 2006
150 Posts
California coast
Stoked

PostTue Jun 23, 15 2:28 pm     Reply with quote

I had to get one of those tension bands and it really helped with the pain. Got mine from chuck it elbow!

Check out our new instruction resource
site, www.thekiteboarderschool.com

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Jun 24, 15 1:26 pm     Reply with quote

Try masturbating with your thumb down. May cause minor chaffing, but it should help. A top physical therapist who used to kite and post here (kiteme) gave me this tip, works wonders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jun 24, 15 1:51 pm     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
Try masturbating with your thumb down. May cause minor chaffing, but it should help. A top physical therapist who used to kite and post here (kiteme) gave me this tip, works wonders

Its Back! PDXMB that is. Thanks for the laugh!

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostThu Jun 25, 15 6:08 am     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
pdxmonkeyboy wrote:

Its Back! PDXMB that is. Thanks for the laugh!

Hahahaha Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: