Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Manzanita Delivers
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
<Wolverine>

Since 07 Jul 2013
71 Posts
PDX

PostSat Jun 20, 15 8:31 pm    Manzanita Delivers Reply with quote

Finally made the first trip to the coast per the prodding of JeffT.

Enjoy some of the stoke!

1.jpg 
   2.jpg 
   3.jpg 
   4.jpg 
   5.jpg 
   6.jpg 
   7.jpg 
   8.jpg 
   9.jpg 
   1.jpg 
   11.jpg 

Last edited by <Wolverine> on Sat Jun 20, 15 9:11 pm; edited 2 times in total

JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostSat Jun 20, 15 8:53 pm     Reply with quote

Sweet Pics! Great day indeed.

Like Thumb's Up

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSat Jun 20, 15 8:55 pm     Reply with quote

Nice! Headed down tomorrow (Sunday) after some gusty junky winds today at Ft. Stevens today.

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
881 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSat Jun 20, 15 9:14 pm     Reply with quote

First photo was the money shot.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSun Jun 21, 15 8:15 am     Reply with quote

I concur! Wish I would have had the skill to windsurf the coast. Thank goodness for kiting.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jun 22, 15 7:11 am     Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:
Nice! Headed down tomorrow (Sunday) after some gusty junky winds today at Ft. Stevens today.

You must of been kiting at noon time or just after 4pm when the variances were greatest (32% off the high gust).

You're definitely promised stronger winds down at Manzo, but it can be just as junky and probably more so.

Clatsop sensor:

20 Jun 7:00 pm PDT NNW 17G22 Caution
20 Jun 6:45 pm PDT NNW 18G23 Caution
20 Jun 6:30 pm PDT NNW 18G23 Caution
20 Jun 6:15 pm PDT NW 17G23 Caution
20 Jun 6:00 pm PDT NW 18G22 Caution
20 Jun 5:45 pm PDT NW 18G21 Caution
20 Jun 5:30 pm PDT NW 17G21 Caution
20 Jun 5:15 pm PDT NNW 16 Suspect
20 Jun 5:00 pm PDT NW 18G22 Caution
20 Jun 4:45 pm PDT NW 17G22 Caution
20 Jun 4:30 pm PDT NW 16 Suspect
20 Jun 4:15 pm PDT NW 15G22 Caution
20 Jun 4:00 pm PDT NW 17 Suspect
20 Jun 3:45 pm PDT NW 18G22 Caution
20 Jun 3:30 pm PDT NW 16G21 Caution
20 Jun 3:15 pm PDT NW 15G21 Caution
20 Jun 3:00 pm PDT NW 17G22 Caution
20 Jun 2:45 pm PDT NW 17 Suspect
20 Jun 2:30 pm PDT NW 18G22 Caution
20 Jun 2:15 pm PDT NW 15G21 Caution
20 Jun 2:00 pm PDT NW 16G21 Caution
20 Jun 1:45 pm PDT NW 17G21 Caution
20 Jun 1:30 pm PDT NW 17G21 Caution
20 Jun 1:15 pm PDT NW 18G22 Caution
20 Jun 1:00 pm PDT NW 17 Suspect
20 Jun 12:45 pm PDT NW 17G21 Caution
20 Jun 12:30 pm PDT NW 14G19 Caution
20 Jun 12:15 pm PDT NW 14G18 Caution

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Explosive Diarrhea

PostMon Jun 22, 15 7:46 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the sensor readings - I never really thought about this before, but the sensor readings did not give any indication of what it felt like.

The wind was pretty layered. There were the typical "Top of the window to bottom of the window" gusts and lulls. But what makes those sensor readings useless is that often times you had high wind on the surface when the kite was low, and then no wind when the kite was high. For upwind tacks, I was keeping the kite super low because if you put it high, you did not have any power to get upwind quickly. But with the kite low, you had to edge the surfboard (LF Kitefish is great for this, but not soft railed surfboards). Basically it was just trashy kite wind that only a windsurfer would like. I bet the windsurfer that was out never even felt what we felt.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jun 22, 15 10:28 am     Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:
Thanks for the sensor readings - I never really thought about this before, but the sensor readings did not give any indication of what it felt like.

The wind was pretty layered. There were the typical "Top of the window to bottom of the window" gusts and lulls. But what makes those sensor readings useless is that often times you had high wind on the surface when the kite was low, and then no wind when the kite was high. For upwind tacks, I was keeping the kite super low because if you put it high, you did not have any power to get upwind quickly. But with the kite low, you had to edge the surfboard (LF Kitefish is great for this, but not soft railed surfboards). Basically it was just trashy kite wind that only a windsurfer would like. I bet the windsurfer that was out never even felt what we felt.

Just like most things in life, you have to adjust and find the sweet spot. You also might of had more current surge to deal with and sometimes the wind is stronger outside vs close-in. Day on the water beats a day at the office most days if not all days.

FYI

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?sid=3CLO3&table=1&banner=off

Good winds!

<Wolverine>

Since 07 Jul 2013
71 Posts
PDX

PostMon Jun 22, 15 10:57 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Just like most things in life, you have to adjust and find the sweet spot. You also might of had more current surge to deal with and sometimes the wind is stronger outside vs close-in. Day on the water beats a day at the office most days if not all days.

FYI

Having not been before that describes exactly what took place as the day tapered off. Didn't look like my 9m would fly well with how the wind felt on shore but as soon as you got past the breakers the wind lit up again and the 9 was plenty. I also wondered why everyone stayed within the narrow stretch there but when I tacked up there was an obvious change in the wind so it's definitely a place that takes some getting used to or advice from those who frequent it more often.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jun 22, 15 11:36 am     Reply with quote

*Wolverine* wrote:
Quote:

FYI

Having not been before that describes exactly what took place as the day tapered off. Didn't look like my 9m would fly well with how the wind felt on shore but as soon as you got past the breakers the wind lit up again and the 9 was plenty. I also wondered why everyone stayed within the narrow stretch there but when I tacked up there was an obvious change in the wind so it's definitely a place that takes some getting used to or advice from those who frequent it more often.

W: As the wind becomes more from the North, the wind quality becomes more poor so kiting down by the State day use park is much better. Conversely, if there is more west in the wind than the standard NW wind, one can kite almost right by the shore next to the mountain.

Current surge plays a big part in choosing a kite size to sail and where one sails on the water. Typically the wind is much cleaner and strong passed the break as the mountain has less of a impact upon it.

You will also notice people kiting certain spots and usually this is where the waves are poor/low quality, so best to stay away from those places and leave the people kiting there to themselves.

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostTue Jun 23, 15 9:48 pm     Reply with quote

Thumb's Up summer licious!
Cool photos

Raj

Since 13 Oct 2009
113 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jun 24, 15 10:22 am     Reply with quote

daaayum. Those pics are rad. I've never kited ocean before (prefer to surf) but certainly looks enticing.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 24, 15 3:36 pm     Reply with quote

What's the water temp like at Manzanita now? 5/4?

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostWed Jun 24, 15 3:40 pm     Reply with quote

Slappysan wrote:

I actually wear my 5/4 at Manzo year round. I will add a hood and another layer in the winter.

thenorm

Since 08 Mar 2011
34 Posts
Beaverton

PostWed Jun 24, 15 8:31 pm     Reply with quote

4/3, no hood, no booties. Maybe a 3/2... Strapless, or strapped, maybe a skimboard or a TT.. I can never figure it out.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jun 24, 15 10:21 pm     Reply with quote

Slappysan wrote:

Ok here is the deal. Bottom line the Pacific around the Oregon coast isn't exactly the warmest water. Especially at Manzo as the mountain on the North end brings up deep upwelling currents of cold clear ocean water.

So if the North winds blow. . . the longer it blows the cooler the water is going to be as that water is being transferred from Alaska.

After that 14 day consecutive North wind blow recently, the Manzo water was walnut sack cold! I wore booties, hooded up with my attached hood an used a 5/4. If you get the first day of a North wind blow, you can probably get away with a 4/3, no hood or booties.

Conversely, you can typically wear a 4/3 or potentially less when the south winds blow (remember dress for the swim, not the air temps) in the summer and early fall as those winds transfer and bring up warmer southern waters.

thenorm

Since 08 Mar 2011
34 Posts
Beaverton

PostThu Jun 25, 15 1:53 pm     Reply with quote

Wore a 4/3 no hood, no booties on this exact day. Was plush.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: