Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

starboard right of way
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kite_nomad

Since 10 Apr 2015
32 Posts

PostTue Jun 23, 15 12:37 pm     Reply with quote

Get off my lawn!

Is this really an issue? We’re kiteboarding, not in a race with 60 foot boats. If you’re upwind pass with the kite high, downwind keep it low. If someone’s not letting you pass upwind just go downwind of them and spend 5 seconds edging back upwind.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1472 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 23, 15 12:57 pm     Reply with quote

^^^^^^ what he said!

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostTue Jun 23, 15 9:58 pm     Reply with quote

Nomad's got it Laughing ^^^^^

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jun 24, 15 6:26 am     Reply with quote

sure, it is easy and simple with just two people. When there are 40, it changes and on a summer weekend it steps up in complexity again. When it is really crowded, it is nice to have some idea what the other person might do. Sort of like how we have driving rules for when it is crowded on the roads. It just makes it safer if you can follow some simple suggestions on how to ride when there are lots of folks in a small area.

but i would settle for raising/lowering your kite appropriately!

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostWed Jun 24, 15 9:50 am     Reply with quote

Nomad is right on and that is how I kite. I have not really though about "starboard right of way for a long time, since racing windsurfers - but I will elaborate below.

To add to it, I really feel that it is your responsibility to have an idea of others abilities. Watch for blown jibes, losing the board for no reason, and obvious beginners. KEEP YOUR DISTANCE FROM THEM, but watch out for their safety too. In fact, I start to look like a beginner at the end of a 6 hour session. So much so that if it is crowded and my skill has fatigued to the point that I look like a beginner, I get off of the water for others safety. Though I reserve the right to stay out when it is not crowded.

And about "right of way" - It is not what you think. The vessel that has right of way CAN NOT do what ever it pleases such as zig zag this way and that. The "right of way" vessel MUST HOLD COURSE and allow the other vessel to alter its course to avoid. The reason for this is to prevent the dance you do in a halway when you meet up with a person who chooses to go to the same side as you to avoid you. I do not know of any case where a kite surfer on a wave could claim "right of way" as they were not holding course but rather changing direction and speed constantly to stay in what ever spot they preferred on the wave.

So don't get too legal until you have actually had some courses in maritime law and sailboat racing.

(Edit 6/25/15) To clafify again on "Hold Course" - the vessel with the right of way actually has less options for their course since they are required to maintain their heading. They can basically only go straight (except in motorized situations where following a marked channel or shipping lane). The vessel without the right of way has many options. They can try to pinch up wind of the vessel with right of way, go down wind, tack, jibe, or stop (not in the path of the right of way vessel).

Another way to look at it - When 1 vessel is on starboard and the other is on port, the starboard vessel could cause a collision if the port vessel alters course downwind (to avoid) and the starboard vessel alters their course downwind intentionally. Even though the "starboard" vessel had right of way, it caused the collision by not holding course. Thus the starboard vessel would be liable for the collision since it did not hold course.

So again, don't mess with this stuff as no two kiters meeting will both have a clear idea of what the rules actually are. Just do what Nomad said.

(I must apologize for the length of my post. One of my most prominent character flaws is the inability to maintain the simplicity of what is already simple. The ability to speak and write simply eludes me to the point of madness. And I admire those most with the skill of saying much with few words - like what Nomad said.)

Last edited by Matt V on Thu Jun 25, 15 9:14 am; edited 5 times in total

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostWed Jun 24, 15 9:58 am     Reply with quote

Good stuff there, well said. - legal conversation isn't worth the time in a forum like this. 15 years commercial fishing in Alaska taught me more about this stuff than you care to waste your time on.

www.freeridekiting.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: