Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

starboard right of way
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
lldkr

Since 01 Jun 2012
47 Posts

PostFri Jun 19, 15 3:33 pm    starboard right of way Reply with quote

Do people actually follow this -- two riders on opposite tacks, the one heading torwards Oregon always has upwind right of way?

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Jun 19, 15 3:55 pm    Re: starboard right of way Reply with quote

lldkr wrote:
the one heading torwards Oregon always has upwind right of way?

That's very misleading since it will change on East winds, better is to say that surfing right hand/leg forward (starboard tack) has right of way. I think very few people who didn't come from sailing/windsurfing know that.

However on the same note I think people are also afraid of crossing closely and could feel like someone else is forcing his/her right of way. I had some occasions where I was on port tack and had more than enough space to cross with someone on starboard tack, however that person turned anyway.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jun 19, 15 5:54 pm    Re: starboard right of way Reply with quote

lldkr wrote:
Do people actually follow this -- two riders on opposite tacks, the one heading torwards Oregon always has upwind right of way?

occasionally, and usually by mistake Shocked

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostSat Jun 20, 15 10:51 pm     Reply with quote

Having been a sailing instructor for many years, I've found that kiters are clueless about sailing rules of the road.

I had a guy upwind of me come down and almost lay his kite on top of mine, and start yelling at me that I was cutting him off. Leward boat has right of way when on the same tack, knucklehead! And technically I was closer hauled, as I was going upwind. But most of this is wasted breath, so I just try to avoid everybody. It's chaos, I tell you!

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostSun Jun 21, 15 7:24 am     Reply with quote

Don't worry about right of way. Most have no clue. Keep your self safe first.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostSun Jun 21, 15 7:44 am     Reply with quote

A small mix of kiters and wind surfers out at Three Mile several weeks ago. One of the kiters was working on tricks in the flat water and landed in front and close to a beginner wind surfer.
During a break she came up to him and asked him if he was aware that he got close and if he knew the right of way rules.

He was visiting from Switzerland on a kiting road trip; knowing he caused concern he apologized for getting close and listened to her explain how it worked. He thanked her and apologized again - then we all went back out and everyone was happy to be on the water.

Some people wont say anything, some people will say too much. Some people won't listen, some people will - so many people now it's hard to say how an interaction will go.

www.freeridekiting.com

argos

Since 07 Apr 2010
66 Posts

PostSun Jun 21, 15 6:07 pm     Reply with quote

ShiverMeTimbers wrote:
Having been a sailing instructor for many years, I've found that kiters are clueless about sailing rules of the road.

I had a guy upwind of me come down and almost lay his kite on top of mine, and start yelling at me that I was cutting him off. Leward boat has right of way when on the same tack, knucklehead! And technically I was closer hauled, as I was going upwind. But most of this is wasted breath, so I just try to avoid everybody. It's chaos, I tell you!

You raise an interesting point. You are just trying to get upwind and the other guy/gal just did the same thing for thirty minutes to get up to the swell at the Hatch. Now you cut them off just as he/she is getting their groove on a nice little wave. They just laid out a nice turn and are heading for a rare little wall, but out of the corner of their eye someone is coming along mowing the lawn to get up to the same spot. They have to bail off their line and maybe start back upwind to get into the rotation again.

I am not saying this is what happened, but it does happen nearly every day in the summer. I agree with staying out of the way of everyone, but I really try to give the rider on the "wave" as much room as I can if I am just trying to get upwind. Very Happy

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Jun 21, 15 6:38 pm     Reply with quote

+1 even thought they are not 'waves' i still try to let anyone on them keep going and stay out of their way, as well. just being friendly and hope the favor is returned.

Trent

Since 10 May 2012
76 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Jun 22, 15 8:15 am     Reply with quote

Something to consider....while I think it makes sense that we've made some 'adjustments' to the right-of-way rules here is the Gorge, the courts will consider kiteboarders as 'Sailing Craft' in the event that litigation occurs from an incident, collision, injury etc. If you hit and injure someone and are NOT following the standard sailing right-of-way rules then you will most likely be help liable in court.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostMon Jun 22, 15 9:12 am     Reply with quote

Courts will also consider force majeure, medical issues (emergency or not) and a plethora of other circumstances in that manner as acceptable reasons for taking someones right of way. How would one know something was going on. It's a snowball for sure.

I tend make my way through the crowds towards open real-estate and then go about my lawn mowing carnage.

www.freeridekiting.com

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jun 22, 15 9:25 am     Reply with quote

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Verdana;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red110\green110\blue110;}
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs24 \cf2 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 \
}

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon Jun 22, 15 10:25 am     Reply with quote

ErraticAKn wrote:
I tend make my way through the crowds towards open real-estate and then go about my lawn mowing carnage.

Best advice above.

Give way, especially to rookie kiters and windsurfers, even if you think you deserve some "right of way" sailing etiquette bs. The best part is it applies for any wind direction. Smile

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 22, 15 10:31 am    I agree with Jerp Reply with quote

jerp wrote:
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Verdana;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red110\green110\blue110;}
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs24 \cf2 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 \
}

Very Happy

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jun 22, 15 10:42 am    Re: I agree with Jerp Reply with quote

totally Smile tried to copy something from facebook in here, went very well as you can see. I will give it a shot later

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jun 22, 15 10:54 am     Reply with quote

lets give that another shot Smile

link to similar item on the Irish Kiteboard Assoc web page http://www.iksa.ie/about-kitesurfing/right-of-way

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 22, 15 7:56 pm     Reply with quote

argos wrote:
ShiverMeTimbers wrote:

You raise an interesting point. You are just trying to get upwind and the other guy/gal just did the same thing for thirty minutes to get up to the swell at the Hatch. Now you cut them off just as he/she is getting their groove on a nice little wave. They just laid out a nice turn and are heading for a rare little wall, but out of the corner of their eye someone is coming along mowing the lawn to get up to the same spot. They have to bail off their line and maybe start back upwind to get into the rotation again.

I am not saying this is what happened, but it does happen nearly every day in the summer. I agree with staying out of the way of everyone, but I really try to give the rider on the "wave" as much room as I can if I am just trying to get upwind. Very Happy

While I hear what you're saying, and I do try to yield to kiters on waves around the Hatch to the bridge, this particular instance was only 200-300 yards upwind from the sandbar. Dude came into my blindspot... the only way I knew he was there was seeing his kite starting to hump mine. I guarantee he was not surfing anything.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jun 22, 15 8:21 pm     Reply with quote

yea, it would be nice if people knew the rules and paid attention to them
but
they don't do it in any other area of their lives, so why kiteboarding?

they/we kite to get away from it all, not follow more rules
they/we think the rules are for others who don't know what we know

have you seen how most people drive, that's how they kite
poor control, less awareness, poor judgment, slightly distracted

it is, after all, all about me

life would be better if people were just more (____________)
fill in the blank with whatever you like cause it just won't happen

this culture is a mess and failing quickly, so kite and have fun and hope for the best and remember tomorrow is promised to no one...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: