Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Some advice please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
PHD

Since 18 Jun 2015
5 Posts

Kook

PostThu Jun 18, 15 6:19 pm    Some advice please Reply with quote

Hey! I'm very new to the sport. Already obsessed and I haven't even gotten started. Putting in serious hours with my trainer and looking to take the next step.

I'm about an hour from Lincoln City and Sauvie. Have a lot of options near by. Where would you recommend I go for training?

I'm 6'4", 280 lbs, 40in waist, and my knees are busted up (football) but I'm dedicated. I'm into the look and the reviews of the slingshot kites/bars. What one kite/board/harness would you guys recommend for all around?

mbevo

Since 22 Apr 2015
39 Posts
Portland

PostThu Jun 18, 15 7:47 pm    Re: Some advice please Reply with quote

PHD wrote:
Hey! I'm very new to the sport. Already obsessed and I haven't even gotten started. Putting in serious hours with my trainer and looking to take the next step.

I'm about an hour from Lincoln City and Sauvie. Have a lot of options near by. Where would you recommend I go for training?

I'm 6'4", 280 lbs, 40in waist, and my knees are busted up (football) but I'm dedicated. I'm into the look and the reviews of the slingshot kites/bars. What one kite/board/harness would you guys recommend for all around?

I'd try taking a lesson. I remember flying the crap out of my trainer end of last season but when i got onto a full sized kite it's a lot different. Take a lesson on safety, body dragging, self rescue etc. it'll speed up the learning curve greatly.

I started with 134 and 8m but I'm 140lb so you may want a bigger board and kite than that.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Jun 18, 15 9:38 pm     Reply with quote

PHD - Pretty Hefty Dood. Very Happy

I'd forget Sauvie...chances of it being windy enough there for you are slim - not worth the hour drive. I'm 190 and need my 17m most of the time.

LC is windy, but learning in the waves can be tough. There is estuary kiting there which may be your best bet....I'm not too familiar, you got to time it with the tides...just make some friends out there. Jones could also be a good option.

You're probably going to want 2 kites...like a 12M and a 16/17m. Trying to learn underpowered is hard, you'll want to be 3-4 meters bigger than the average joes in the 175lb range. Get a big twin tip ~145cm or bigger. Find an XXL waist harness that fits..

Try to get out to the Gorge for a week+ in the summer and just go for it! Lot's of instructors out there! Thumb's Up

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Jun 18, 15 10:03 pm     Reply with quote

After my knee went bad the OR Mako saved me. GREAT board for bad knees. Really smooths out the chop. For your size pick up a Mako King. Fun board for carving in the river or the ocean. Or, even better get a Bellacera kiteboard. Last I heard he'd still make up a 165cm... http://www.bellacerakiteboards.com/

dhannf

Since 29 Nov 2010
42 Posts

PostThu Jun 18, 15 11:05 pm     Reply with quote

I'm 300lbs and use an ozone edge 19m at Sauvie with a litewave wing 161 board.

Take the lesson, then get a big kite 16m or better. I also have the ocean rodeo Mako King and it rocks but for learning, I'd recommend getting a big, lite wind board to start. It will plane faster and give you more float time when you start working on your transitions.

A few Lite wind board recommendations:
Fly surfer door
Litewave wing
Spleen door
Nobile magic carpet
Slingshot glide

To name a few. They are expensive, but as you progress and get smaller boards and kites, you can always come back to your lite wind gear.

Dan

dhannf

Since 29 Nov 2010
42 Posts

PostThu Jun 18, 15 11:10 pm     Reply with quote

For the harness, unless you see yourself really wanting to do tricks soon, do your back a favor and get a dakine fusion seat harness or a vega seat harness. The fusion is a tank and will take a ton of beginner abuse.

Dan

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Jun 19, 15 4:49 am     Reply with quote

You're on the right track with flying the crap out of your trainer. Get a seat harness - one that fits well - Dakine Fusion is a good start, but any will work if they fit. Put a line on your trainer bar so you can fly it hooked in.

I would also recommend getting a "small" kite to use as a next step trainer - 7m - the older "08,09,10" Cabrinha switchblades would be ideal, and you can find one cheap. Fly the crap out of it, get the relaunch etc down. Do this in an area that has no obstacles - shallow water if possible is ideal. You will likely beat it to death - if not you can probably get your money back selling it on ebay.

Go wakeboarding and ride both ways - pulling to the side of the boat heelside is very similar to riding a kiteboard.

At that point you are ready to get a lot out of the lessons and progress quickly.

On the board - big and wide - any will work fine
Kite - I'm partial to the Cabrinha Switchblade, older is fine as long as it hasn't seen a ton of use. It is very forgiving and relaunches easy. North Rebel is also a good pick.

Hope it helps - Have a blast

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2060 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Jun 19, 15 7:10 am     Reply with quote

kwalshpc wrote:
You're on the right track with flying the crap out of your trainer. Get a seat harness - one that fits well - Dakine Fusion is a good start, but any will work if they fit. Put a line on your trainer bar so you can fly it hooked in.

I would also recommend getting a "small" kite to use as a next step trainer - 7m

I would not get a 7m. You will never use it other than training. Get a 9m instead and even then you probably will rarely if ever use it for actual kiting (maybe Rooster Rock east wind "too nukie" sessions, early spring days out at Rufus or 3 mile, summer North winds down in the deep Southern Oregon Coast aka Pistol River, or dangerous fall and winter SW storm winds on the Oregon Coast.

And at 280 lbs dry and if you ever get good enough to start jumping, expect to break more than a few boards.

Get some lessons, it is a better utilization of your time. Lessons that assist you with a personal water craft.

As Slither said, stay away from Sauvies. It is too flickle of wind and much too light of wind for you--it will only make you frustrated. Jones this month has been cranking and good strong wind for your weight and to fly a kite. Or the gorge for lessons as the wind is strong there too.

Slither is talking about the river mouth just south of Lincoln City--Siletz Bay. River mouths at the ocean are dangerous with the tides and strong current at times. Best to become a more accomplished kiter before attempting such a site and of course talking to someone who has kited it before and will share the correct conditions/411 on how to kite it safely. Same holds true with kiting in the ocean. Ocean kiting is for when you can fly your kite without having to look at it and to focus upon the water and waves--of course you look up on occasion to look at your kite.

Welcome to the addiction!

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 19, 15 7:30 am     Reply with quote

Wait until after your lesson to buy anything more than a trainer. Floras lake, Jones Beach, or a jet ski assisted lesson in the Gorge are the best ways to learn. An instructor can usually help you find the right beginner gear. Buy used at first. Maybe they could help you look through Windances used gear. I second the mako king for your size and probably an 11 or 12m to start.

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Jun 19, 15 9:52 am     Reply with quote

You must be from Salem or McMinnville. I weight a little over 200 lb. I have yet to use my 7m kite. The advice you have here is great!!!! Get a trainer. Then later get some lessons. Do not buy any other equipment besides a good wetsuit, boots and maybe seat harness. I am still using a flotation vest. You will learn about your other equipment needs after taking the lessons. I have done most of my post instruction kiting at Siletz Bay and at near high tide or falling. I will be paring down equipment soon and will be selling set of 2008 Slingshot T3's 9m, 11m, 14m and 17m for around $900. They are great beginner kites. Easy water launching. PM after you have taken your lessons if you are interested in the kite set.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 19, 15 1:43 pm     Reply with quote

I would recommend a weekend at
http://www.floraslake.com/flw2.html

Also land flying a kite is almost worthless, you should start water draging, do lots of this! Get in the water and play. You should avoid the ocean for as long as possible.

Also, highly recommend practicing your kite launch and landing. Training instructors do not spend enough time practicing launch and landing. Just about all deaths / injury issues are during this period. It's like a small aircraft, the lift off and landing periods are the most dangerous and therefore should be practiced lots

Go to youtube and look up kitemares

Also look at Jones Beach, it's perfect
http://www.air-pirates.com/lessonguide.html

PHD

Since 18 Jun 2015
5 Posts

Kook

PostFri Jun 19, 15 7:30 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jun 19, 15 8:02 pm     Reply with quote

Can't say enough good things about Jones Beach. No Crowds, Steady Winds, Plenty of uber-safe bailout sand downwind for all your screw-ups, no more 4X4 asswipes, very simple to forecast (it just blows every damn day).
The one caution... watch for those big-ass monster ships coming though several times a day.

PHD

Since 18 Jun 2015
5 Posts

Kook

PostSat Jun 20, 15 11:53 pm     Reply with quote

That does look sick. Little far from me but I'm sure I'll make it there a few times a season.

Found a personal/certified trainer today. He'll train anywhere I want. Decided to go to kite shop even though I knew they didn't have anything I wanted. He happened to be there with his wife. Only thing I had to buy before training was a wetsuit... XXXXL O'neill Heat 4/3. Headed to the beach tomorrow to practice some more w/ my trainer kite! I'm 33 and feel like a little kid again!

Thanks again guys.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1256 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jun 21, 15 11:19 am     Reply with quote

I have a North Phantom light wind board, I think it's a 159, that I'll likely put up for sale in Hood River this summer (I get there Tuesday night). This board falls in the category that dhannf lists above. For your size this would likely be a great first board. I've kept it for my wife to learn on but I think that's never going to happen. PM me and I'll reply with my contact info next time I have a chance to log in.

Good luck!

Raj

Since 13 Oct 2009
113 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jun 22, 15 1:02 pm    Jones Reply with quote

Awesome place to learn and yeah, those big boys move fast.

image.jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: