Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Surface Temp at HR?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 08, 15 9:53 am    Surface Temp at HR? Reply with quote

Anyone know the Col surface temp at HR (these past few days)? The John Day above the confluence was already at 80 over the weekend (77 in the pool above the dam on the Col). Freakishly warm. We usually don't see water temps like that until well into July. Looks like iffy wind this up-coming weekend, so I was thinking it would be nice to drag the wakeboat west to HR for some different scenery...and better access to DM Kolsch. Thanks.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jun 08, 15 10:43 am     Reply with quote

deminimis wrote:
Anyone know the Col surface temp at HR (these past few days)? The John Day above the confluence was already at 80 over the weekend (77 in the pool above the dam on the Col). Freakishly warm. We usually don't see water temps like that until well into July. Looks like iffy wind this up-coming weekend, so I was thinking it would be nice to drag the wakeboat west to HR for some different scenery...and better access to DM Kolsch. Thanks.

there are lots of people out in shorties and just boardshorts even at the mouth of the hood river. so yes, the water is warmer than usual

As far as this weekends forecast. Its a complete waste of time looking at it now, I would take look on Thursday. Last Fridays forecast had low teens (mild) for Sat/Sun and then it kicked up to 9M at times on both day. I got in a 1hr session on my 8m.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1472 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 08, 15 11:57 am     Reply with quote

don't know about surface temps.... but the dam temperature report shows the same temp at all 3 dams. 65.
http://www.fpc.org/tempgraphsnet/NETFullYear_tempgraph.aspx

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 08, 15 12:27 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes, I don't usually end up deep enough for those dam discharge temps to matter much. I've never actually measured, but with full ballast, our temp sensor is probably 18-24" below the surface. In the pool above the JD Dam, it got cold real quick when heading down, but we measured 77 on Saturday, which was a shock for this time of year. Not really a big deal one way or the other, but I was kinda curious. Kite gear, including suits, travels with us. So, if we haul the beast that way, we'll stay toasty one way or the other. Thanks again.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 15, 15 9:57 am     Reply with quote

For what it's worth. Sunday 6/14: East of the bridge/Koberg around 4PM, 71/72F. West of Wells, a pretty consistent 69F.

The Boy (12) enjoying his new 136 Slinghot Oli (yea, but he'll grow into it).

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1472 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 15, 15 11:49 am     Reply with quote

thanks! basically 4 or 5 degrees warmer than the dam reading.

http://www.fpc.org/tempgraphsnet/NETFullYear_tempgraph.aspx

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 15, 15 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

Crazy warm water. I usually wear my 5/3 until mid june. Then jump into my 3/2. I have been wearing my 3/2 for several weeks.
Great weekend. Got first good rides on a 12 at the event site Saturday and prefect flat water wake boarding/water skiing on sunday. Just hate living in hood river. Very Happy

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 15, 15 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

We actually left the suits in the truck. There was some shivering (a couple of beginners that spent all their time in the water), but no one turned blue.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
698 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 15, 15 3:16 pm     Reply with quote

The white salmon river is a pleasant 43 degrees!

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 16, 15 11:32 am     Reply with quote

Yeah but we don't water ski in the white salmon. Just work in the town of.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 22, 15 12:21 pm     Reply with quote

Looks like a repeat this upcoming weekend (but with triple digits). We've always got room for one more.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: