Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hood River in June
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pixelpedro

Since 18 Jan 2013
20 Posts
Lake Worth, FL

PostWed Jun 03, 15 7:30 am    Hood River in June Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'll be in Hood River the week of June 22-27 then heading out to Portland for a couple of days. Naturally planning on doing some kiting while visiting, but having a hard time forecasting what kites to take with me, I know not super ideal but due to the circumstance of travel I need to travel light, so I'm only bringing 2 kites, I'm 198 lbs, and quiver consists of 13/9/7 Fuel.

I'm reaching out to you guys for advice on the usual (historically) conditions of the area, as I can't find much info on windalert.

Also any local rules or regulations I should know beforehand besides the usual be courteous and a decent human being to others.

Any info on hitting the slider/kicker, that is one thing I'm really looking forward to trying out.

Tnx in advance.

p.s. One more thing any good local kite instructors? my wife wants to learn and I'd like to maybe surprise her with some lessons.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Jun 03, 15 8:05 am     Reply with quote

Easy choice- bring all three

You will want a big kite cause you never know and the 7 doesn't take up any room

For lessons

http://www.cascadekiteboarding.com

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 03, 15 8:16 am     Reply with quote

you're coming all this way and you're going to be here for 5 days - figure out a way to bring all 3 kites.
you can compress the 7m down and carry it on?
you can get compression bags from Walmart that compress down with a vacuum cleaner.... or your mouth and lungs.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jun 03, 15 8:33 am     Reply with quote

Tell the airline people that all the news of Bruce Jenner turning into a woman has inspired you. . . (Kendra or whatever he/she calls himself/herself now?) and that your 7m around your neck and shoulders is a shawl and that you get cold very easily on the plane. Wink

What the others already said, bring all your kites.

Lots of good instructors at Hood River. PM MarkWorth on this forum and or check the industry and or the Classifieds link on the top of this page for more info and options.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 03, 15 9:10 am     Reply with quote

Since you want to hit the kicker you should bring the 13/9 as the wind tends to be lighter back where the kickers are.

Here is June 2014 for reference:

EventSite-2014-June.png 

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 03, 15 9:12 am     Reply with quote

Compress all 3 kites and place them in the 13m bag. I've done this many times, even slip the 9m bag in there as well.

pixelpedro

Since 18 Jan 2013
20 Posts
Lake Worth, FL

PostWed Jun 03, 15 10:50 am     Reply with quote

Sweet! tnx a lot guys, I really appreciate the help. I will definitely consider bringing all 3 kites, and will check CK for lessons.

Without intruding too much into secret local spots what other epic kite locations do u guys recommend?

Tnx again for all the replies.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 03, 15 10:57 am     Reply with quote

there are no local secret spots. Wink
you can't keep a kite launch secret when the kites stick up in the air for 75 feet.
also - we never developed the local territorialism that's prevalent in surfing.
there's so much room on the river it's not an issue.
once you are here in town - stop into one of the shops each morning to get the 411 on where to kite that day.
the downtown shops are all within a few blocks of each other - 2nd Wind, Windance, Big Winds.

pixelpedro

Since 18 Jan 2013
20 Posts
Lake Worth, FL

PostWed Jun 03, 15 11:09 am     Reply with quote

Hahaha right on!

Tnx again for all the info, GREATLY appreciated.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 03, 15 11:12 am     Reply with quote

Go try jones beach while you are here if it's going. Well worth the non crowded scene!!

pixelpedro

Since 18 Jan 2013
20 Posts
Lake Worth, FL

PostWed Jun 03, 15 11:16 am     Reply with quote

Dog Patrol wrote:
Go try jones beach while you are here if it's going. Well worth the non crowded scene!!

Tnx bud, definitely will

Been checking the spots section of the site, very informative. Thumb's Up

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostWed Jun 03, 15 6:24 pm     Reply with quote

You can generally find wind on any day, within 2.5 hours drive of Portland. Many spots are closer, but basically what I'm saying is there are a lot of options. Don't forget the Oregon Coast if it's going while you're here.

Within 3 hours drive from PDX you can find these prime kite locations that are well known and easily accessible to everyone - I'm leaving out some spots to make it less complicated and possibly to appease the local riders Wink

From East to West (ish)

--3-Mile Canyon, OR (East of PDX ~ 2.45 hours) (big ass swell. BIG.)
--Rufus, OR (East of PDX, ~2 hours) (awesome place, easy launch)
--Rowena, OR / Dougs (WA) (East of PDX ~1.25 hours) (trickier launch, low population)
--Hood River (East of PDX ~ 1 hour)
--Stevenson, WA, (East of PDX ~ 45 minutes) (Works on both east and west winds)
--Rooster Rock, OR (East of PDX ~ 25 minutes) (Only works on an east wind and probably not going to be the case while you are here)
--Sauvie Island, OR (North/NW of PDX ~45 min) (this is a light wind after work spot, not a place you would typically ride if you are visiting from out of town, but good to mention if you are jonesing for a session and you have a big kite 13m+)
--Jones Beach, OR (West / NW of PDX ~ 1 hour) (Goes off in the afternoon through the evening)
--Fort Stevens State Park, Hammond, OR (West / NW of PDX ~ 2 hours) (Ocean riding)
--Manzanita, OR (West of PDX ~2 hours) (Ocean Riding)
--Lincoln City, OR [Road's End state park] (West / SW of PDX ~2.5 hours) (Ocean Riding)
--Newport, OR (south jetty) (SW of PDX, ~2.45 hours) (Ocean Riding)

You can probably find more info on those sites if you search around this forum, and I'd recommend doing so in order to learn about any specific rules or hazards of each location. Or ask around at the shops once you get in town (HR). For the places on the Columbia River you want Westerly winds (I've noted the exceptions) and on the coast you want Northerly winds.

And if you find yourself in a driving mood, check out the more southerly regions of the coast (I'm talking 4-6 hour drive) because there is some cool shit down there!

That's the quick and dirty Very Happy

pixelpedro

Since 18 Jan 2013
20 Posts
Lake Worth, FL

PostWed Jun 03, 15 6:57 pm     Reply with quote

Dayum! sweet dude, tnx.

I'll be staying in White Salmon so that's where I'll be starting my daily adventure from. Ima stay away from the Pacific as ocean riding is all I do here in FL, so craving more flat water than anything.

Again tnx for the tips and info, really, shoot ... u guys rock, hope to meet some of you around during my days there.

Tnx again.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 03, 15 7:01 pm     Reply with quote

Some more too add if you have time would be to travel to bandon and check out whiskey run and floras lake. Very cool at floras you can kite the lake and run over the sand bar for some ocean riding!!

pixelpedro

Since 18 Jan 2013
20 Posts
Lake Worth, FL

PostThu Jun 04, 15 4:34 am     Reply with quote

Dog Patrol wrote:
Some more too add if you have time would be to travel to bandon and check out whiskey run and floras lake. Very cool at floras you can kite the lake and run over the sand bar for some ocean riding!!

Dude, great spots floras lake looks pretty epic, 5hrs away though ... maybe I should 'reschedule' my Portland visit for another trip, lol.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jun 04, 15 8:56 am     Reply with quote

pixelpedro wrote:
craving more flat water than anything.

Hood river area is mostly river chop and swell, behind the sandbar there is some flat water but not the most amount of room (that's where the kickers are).

There are some nice flat water spots West of Portland but that's a long way to drive.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Jun 04, 15 9:04 am     Reply with quote

Nice recap Dern and Dog Patrol is right on about Floras being a special place. Thumb's Up

The good news Pedro is you're going to find wind and stoke everywhere. Disfrute!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: