Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

jones?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri May 22, 15 9:09 am    jones? Reply with quote

anyone hitting jones today? forecast is only okay which makes me nervous.

and I know that the gorge is the place to be today:)

Sauve

Since 19 Mar 2009
97 Posts
Hood River

PostWed May 27, 15 6:05 pm     Reply with quote

I'm curious what jones regular's use for a forecast. I've kited all over the gorge and coast for years now and yet have never been to jones and I have no idea where to look. thanks!

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 27, 15 6:33 pm     Reply with quote

Sauve wrote:
I'm curious what jones regular's use for a forecast. I've kited all over the gorge and coast for years now and yet have never been to jones and I have no idea where to look. thanks!

I look at the ikite forecast as i am useless when it comes to pressure gradients etc. If the forecast looks like solid 20s for a 2 or 3 period I just go but if its marginal (mid teens and only for an hour or so) i check out cloud cover before i leave.

when I posted last week i opted to not go as the wind was not behaving as forecasted and there was too much cloud cover.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 27, 15 6:33 pm     Reply with quote

...and jones looks good for Friday by the way

Sauve

Since 19 Mar 2009
97 Posts
Hood River

PostWed May 27, 15 6:45 pm     Reply with quote

rad. thanks jerp

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed May 27, 15 6:55 pm    Jones forecasting Reply with quote

I'm by no means a forecasting or Jones expert, but I've learned a few things in the past couple years, many from this forum:

1) Jones often goes when it gets hot in Portland and corridor shuts down

2) Jones relies a lot on thermal gradient from Astoria to Kelso. So I keep an eye on forecasted temps for those two locations. This also means the wind tends to go later in the day at Jones once things heat up.

3) You also need a pressure gradient with high pressure on the coast.

4) Watch the tides. You can kite jones with an incoming tide, but it will be a lot harder to stay upwind, and you need more wind to get going (less apparent wind). Ideally the tide should be outgoing when kiting.

5) Clouds over Jones or Kelso keep the wind from picking up

I saw this website posted here a long time ago and have always found it helpful:

http://www.nwweather.com/JonesFcst.php

The Ikite Pro forecast is also pretty decent for Jones if you subscribe, although it seems like they often underestimate. For tomorrow:

"Western Gorge (Jones Beach to Stevenson): Morning fog to around Jones Beach clears out quickly. Jones Beach reaches WNW afternoon upper teens. Stevenson sees maybe low teen W winds."

Jones should be good the next couple days. Astoria forecast is 63, Kelso 79. Low tide is 7:30pm tomorrow and 8:20pm, so it should work well for wind is typically best at Jones from 3-8pm.

Sauve

Since 19 Mar 2009
97 Posts
Hood River

PostWed May 27, 15 7:44 pm     Reply with quote

quick and thorough, thanks guys. Work has been bringing me to Portland on Fridays so it sounds like I might get to check that one off the bucket list this in a few days!

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 27, 15 7:54 pm     Reply with quote

Sauve wrote:
quick and thorough, thanks guys. Work has been bringing me to Portland on Fridays so it sounds like I might get to check that one off the bucket list this in a few days!

ya gotta hit jones.... Jones is so much fun. Miles of beach, ponds, steady wind, F all people.

jiberus

PostSat Jun 06, 15 7:03 am     Reply with quote

Is today(6/6) the type of weather setup that makes Jones work?

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSat Jun 06, 15 7:30 am     Reply with quote

Yes, jones will be windy today. High tide is a 7pm though, so incoming tide most of the afternoon will make it more difficult to stay upwind. Still fun though, just a bit more lawnmowing.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jun 06, 15 7:46 am     Reply with quote

user124 wrote:
Yes, jones will be windy today. High tide is a 7pm though, so incoming tide most of the afternoon will make it more difficult to stay upwind. Still fun though, just a bit more lawnmowing.

Using a foil last week I was shocked at how it's possible to launch at the beach, and be almost half-way up "The Alley" in the first tack. Smile

jjtango

Since 14 Nov 2012
5 Posts

Kook

PostMon Jun 08, 15 8:38 pm     Reply with quote

Any thoughts on Jones tomorrow?

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 08, 15 8:47 pm     Reply with quote

jjtango wrote:
Any thoughts on Jones tomorrow?

Portland hits 89 for tomorrow/Tuesday
Astoria 65.

Bring your 9M by 3:30 til dark

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: