Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Booties for those that hate booties- Vincere Grip Socks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
wallydog

Since 30 May 2012
223 Posts

Stoked

PostSat May 16, 15 4:44 pm    Booties for those that hate booties- Vincere Grip Socks Reply with quote

I have used booties of all kinds trying to find something that works as close to barefeet. Nothing is like riding barefoot but I can't stand getting my feet banged up. I tend to be a little "clumsy" so some foot protection is in order.
I tried these Vincere Grip Socks while on a recent kiting trip to SPI. I didn't need foot protection while kiting in the gulf but the lagoon required something on the feet to prevent an injury. Lots of slick mud with shells everywhere and all kinds of debris buried in the sand in the lagoon bottom.
These sock booties were amazing. They are thin lycra tops with the thinnest grip sole possible. I figured they would wear out in a matter of days but after 15 days of use they are still doing their job just fine. I expect to use them until they wear out when I kite the Gorge in July. They truly are like going barefoot.
I tried a selection of sizes because I wasn't sure how much they would fit and stretch in use. I ended up buying a medium which works for size 7 to 10. I wear a 10 1/2 street shoe. They should be tight.
These are the bare minimum for foot protection and I have been very happy so far. I do not expect them to last like rubber booties boot but nothing else gives you the barefoot feel of these socks. Only criticism I have is they could be a little wider and have a little more toe cover. On a bonus the sole even gripped on the SPI slime /grease in the lagoon. The grippy part of the sole has worn off at the balls of my feet but still works fine on the board.
www.sandsocks.net/grip-socks.html
I am not associated in any way with this company. Just thought I would pass on something that works for me so far. If this is posted in the wrong place please move it. Thank you.

IMG_0120.JPG 
   IMG_0121.JPG 

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat May 16, 15 8:53 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I sliced my foot open by Rowena last year and I could feel the flap of tissue flopping back and forth during my session… kind of a gross feeling. It'd be nice to have some protection without the muffled feeling of booties.

Bill C

Since 15 Sep 2005
202 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostSun May 17, 15 5:18 pm     Reply with quote

Sounds like a good solution. Questions:
1. Do they 'balloon' with water?
2. Why so much above the ankle material? Looks like you need an overcoat when you wear them.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun May 17, 15 5:45 pm     Reply with quote

I bought a pair. I'll give a report in a week or so when they arrive.

wallydog

Since 30 May 2012
223 Posts

Stoked

PostSun May 17, 15 6:01 pm     Reply with quote

You need to buy them small so they fit tight or they may balloon on you. I had no issues with this and think the height is fine for protection and preventing sand infiltration.
Overcoat would be a nice look with the black socks -go for it.
Flipper I am looking forward to hearing your opinion.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostSun May 17, 15 7:31 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendation. I have been dealing with a broken toe so I have been looking for a solution.

Bill C

Since 15 Sep 2005
202 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostMon May 18, 15 5:57 am     Reply with quote

Thought I would try a pair of these. They say 'National Geographic' across the top so they have to be good.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostFri May 22, 15 10:52 pm     Reply with quote

M: Women 9 - 11.5, Men 7 - 10
L: Women 12 - 14, Men 10.5 - 12

The sizings for the grip socks are not accurate. I'm a 11.5-12 and purchased a large. Definitely too loose.

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostSat May 23, 15 8:45 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. In terms of size, it looks like Men can use the "Women sock size" to find the appropriate fit. Women should order a size down.

aksurfer

Since 30 Aug 2010
90 Posts
Anchorage, AK

PostSat May 23, 15 11:29 am     Reply with quote

O'Neill Ninja socks are pretty awesome

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue May 26, 15 8:37 pm     Reply with quote

I liked mine! I had on a full wetsuit. The only con was that some rocks still hurt when I would walk on them (I'm 205), but overall a cool bootie… or whatever ya want to call it. I'm sure I'll use these until I rip the seams in 10 sessions or so with my can-opener toe nails.

No bagging as it seemed like water would just come in and out at will. I didn't feel barefoot, but closest yet.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 03, 15 10:16 pm     Reply with quote

Update: Had an overpowered session with big swell at Dougs with my 8m & surfboard tonight. Socks did not perform well. The sole started to wrinkle a little under my feet (I was riding strapless). Then I turned and during my footwork, I stepped a little on the other foot and the sock came off about 1/2 way. I put it back on, but then it was a little twisted. Couldn't ever get it settled for the rest of the session. When I finished my 3-hour session, the heal was kinked up on my inner heal. The sock wasn't gripping so well after a while, because the whole thing was rotating on my foot and I was getting the upper underfoot.

I still think they are great for old-man cruising sessions. But not so much for ripping and getting spanked from time to time.

wallydog

Since 30 May 2012
223 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jun 14, 15 11:44 am     Reply with quote

I bought a fresh pair and see they now have an in-step strap. This may help with your issues. I bought these and will use them when my first pair gives up. I think the most important thing is to buy them small and squeeze into them.
They are not perfect buy still better than nothing on your feet for this old man.

DSC03837.JPG 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: