Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: hitch tray bike racks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat May 16, 15 8:15 am    OT: hitch tray bike racks Reply with quote

I have a long wheelbase so I'm limited to either the Kuat NV2 (Sherpa tray too short) or Thule T2. Since 99%of the time one loads groceries into the hatchback, which is easier to tilt up and down? I tried the Yakima and the pull pin is a PITA in HMO.

Thans,
Eric

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat May 16, 15 8:31 am     Reply with quote

Not certain but it looks like I have been carrying my road bikes on a rack similar to that Kuat. It came from Performance Bike. I need to get rid of this thing ASAP before any more drives in rural Mexico. With all the rough roads and speed bumps this rack has the lowest hanging fruit as the wheels of your bike. This has given my bike irreparable tire damage upon arrival at my destinations. I'm researching more expensive hitch carriers where there is an actual protective "tray" covering the tires.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSat May 16, 15 8:52 am     Reply with quote

hi eric, I checked out the kuat and it is a nice rack. probably the most stylish and functional out there. I was ready to throw down for this but was alerted local guys yakima are coming out with a hitch rack built to work with any bike even the fatties. it will be available in 2 carriers or 4. due to the longshoremen strike, they are still listed as on order at rack attack. unfortunately the rack release pin looks the same as the other yakima offerings

http://press.yakima.com/index.php/tag/twotimer/

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4201 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat May 16, 15 9:01 am     Reply with quote

Like this?

I bought this back when I was travelling to triathlons. Before I could use it I was run over by a caddy, ending my Ironman career. Sad Anyways, it has never been used and has sat gathering dust in my garage ever since. Either of you guys want it you can have it for $100. I'll be Craigslisting it for $150. The only issue is it needs to be gone by Wed.

P1030790 (Custom).JPG 
   P1030791 (Custom).JPG 
   P1030792 (Custom).JPG 
   P1030793 (Custom).JPG 
   P1030794 (Custom).JPG 

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun May 17, 15 9:14 am     Reply with quote

Nak,
Although yours is a quality rack, I think for my winter of 6'000 miles of rough rural Mexico road yours has too many hinges and moving parts. I need simplicity, security, and ease. My current rack is bouncing all over and damaging.
This is cheap Junk (not yours):

Story: Pulled into Mazamitla a high mountain village in Central Mexico. As we came into town at each intersection we heard "Amigo!" "Amigo!". Thought, how sweet the folks are up here. Finally someone was shouting Amigo and pointing at the same time..... wife's bike had bounced off the rack and was dragging by security cable. OOPS. Typical Gringos.

JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostSun May 17, 15 1:06 pm     Reply with quote

I 've been using the Kuat NV for the past 5 years. It's a very nice rack and they take very good care of you if you ever need any spare parts (i broke a rear wheel strap when I dropped my car's winter tire on it). However, it is very heavy. It requires a 2" receiver. If you plan to take it on an off it's kind of a beast (about 50 lbs). I added the 2 bike extension this spring and now can carry 4 bikes. It's still rock solid over the bumps even with all 4 bikes. It's all aluminum and stainless. Holds up very well in the PNW weather. This is probably the best hitch carrier made. It also has the best resale value.

IMG_4412.jpg 

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun May 17, 15 2:18 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks all. Just pulled the trigger on a Kuat nv2

ericvs

Since 05 Jul 2008
133 Posts

Stoked

PostMon May 18, 15 7:19 am     Reply with quote

Glad you got that one. I like the built in bike stand.

Just to add to this post for anyone else, you should seriously consider the vertical mount bike rack.

Northshore makes one, but you are limited to bikes with suspension. I was able to retrofit mine a bit to work with road bikes, but it isn't ideal.
http://www.northshoreracks.com/

There is a dude in Bellingham who is making a killer vertical rack that work with all types of bikes, is burly enough to shuttle the gnarliest of trails and when you put 5 bikes on it, it doesn't stick out 35' behind your rig.
http://recon-racks.com/

(if it matters, I am not affiliated with any of these dudes, just like their racks)

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4201 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon May 18, 15 7:39 am     Reply with quote

That Kuat is a nice looking rack. The recon looks great for trail bikes, but not so good for road bikes with carbon fiber wheels...

JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostMon May 18, 15 10:51 am     Reply with quote

That North Shore rack is a really clever design for mtb bikes. I like it.

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostMon May 18, 15 12:47 pm     Reply with quote

I am a Thule dealer so my answer is slightly biased....and a little late by the looks of it. However I personally use the Thule T2 and often the add on to make it 4 bike compatible.
Does everything it's supposed to do. We are 10% off all the time. Let me know if any of you need further info.

Dave
Windance 1-800-575-4020

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon May 18, 15 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

I went through this decision last year. I went with the Thule T2. It functions very similarly to the Kuat and surprisingly weighs about the same. The main difference is that the T2 for a 4 bike carrier is about $630 (20% off right now at REI), vs the Kuat at $940 for 4 bikes, and doesn't seem to go on sale. I have been very happy with the T2 - it is very stable even with 4 bikesand very easy to use. But I will admit the Kuat looks cooler with the anodized parts.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostMon May 18, 15 3:43 pm     Reply with quote

I have an older version of this Softride rack I traded some yakima parts for at Rerack in Se Portland. Mine has a big steel lever system I can reach with my foot at the bottom of the mast which lets it free to tilt. Loaded with 4 bikes, its about 40 lbs of lifting to raise it back off the ground so not too easy for my wife but it's awful nice to be able to access the tailgate and keeps the bikes quite high and shakes a lot less than a Swing Daddy that I've used.

http://www.rei.com/product/854829/softride-element-4-bike-hitch-rack?cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-8548290001&mr:trackingCode=6BDC5CD7-10A6-E211-9C7C-BC305BF82162&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=79169861080&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=70913719960&msid=q1Rl0IP9_dc%7Cpcrid%7C79169861080%7C&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: