Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Who knows a good ortho in town HR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostFri May 15, 15 10:44 pm    Who knows a good ortho in town HR Reply with quote

Son broke his collarbone longboarding and we have to seek out an ortho. Any names I drop or recommendations ? Thanks

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat May 16, 15 10:33 am     Reply with quote

John Durkan and his partner.
902 12th St Hood River, OR 97031‎
(541) 387-1337

lloyd

Since 16 Aug 2007
108 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostSat May 16, 15 7:48 pm     Reply with quote

Ditto

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat May 16, 15 8:44 pm     Reply with quote

How'd it get broken?

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSat May 16, 15 9:32 pm     Reply with quote

Hauling ass down a steep hill longboarding. He and a friend went to Carson wa because the road that heads to sr 14 was fasts with curves. Dumb ass but I get it. Trying to have fun but boom ,The corner came and he did not make it. He was in a slide and the board checked up ad he tried to hang on but got thrown off the board. He ended up landing on his head and shoulder. Got his bell rung and they think he broke a small bone in his heal!! Took quite a shot. Got to give him credit for his toughness. He went with his girlfriend to prom so she would not be left out. He has a clavicle broke in two places and shattered. He says it hurts like heck when he moves. Can't see dr Stanley until Monday am!

He was so bummed it happened. He is going to graduate and we was stoked to sail every day. Now he gets to watch and be a shuttle driver for us this summer Smile!!

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun May 17, 15 9:05 am     Reply with quote

I knew there was good story! Sucks, but nice to get broken getting some good DH, rather than tripping on the garden hose weeding the petunias.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostTue May 19, 15 9:07 am     Reply with quote

Ditto for Durken. Did my knee, wife's knee, f-n-law's knees, bro-n-law's knee...

MarkWorth

Since 02 May 2011
149 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostThu May 21, 15 8:07 am     Reply with quote

Dr Durken has helped me with several injures since I broke my foot windsurfing at Doug's in 1990. He kite-boards and understands athletes.
http://gorgekiteboardschool.com

soona

Since 27 Sep 2009
72 Posts

PostFri May 22, 15 10:37 am    Dr. Stanley (Cascade Orthopedics) - NO! Reply with quote

Watch out for Dr. Stanley and (Cascade Orthopedics)!

A good surgeon by all reports and he fixed me up good, but he and his office tricked me into submitting to his own surgery center which it turns out is not in network - not in anybody's network - after telling me it was. Afterwards, his billing person assured me they'd only charge me what I would have paid if it was in network.

Then his scumball office manager Greg flat out lied to me and eventually refused to honor that, and I eventually paid out of network.

I uncovered lots of details, and talked to other patients, establishing that they are knowingly scamming patients with this, right from the beginning. I gave him a chance to come clean but he blew me off. Lies after lies!

Suggest you avoid him - there are plenty of honest ortho doctors out there.

Last edited by soona on Sat May 23, 15 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostFri May 22, 15 5:23 pm     Reply with quote

Who do you have for insurance. Networks make a difference depending on insurers!!

soona

Since 27 Sep 2009
72 Posts

PostSat May 23, 15 10:51 am     Reply with quote

PacificSource. But I think Greg said they aren't in anybody's network.

This is the surgical center in The Dalles that Stanley owns himself (my understanding). (Note that Stanley the surgeon is in network - but his surgical center is not, while Providence Hood River is.)

He could have also done the surgery at Providence Hood River (which is a few blocks from my house) but he told me that his own center can use an anesthesia block that HR doesn't, and is superior. When Misty in his office told me she confirmed that his facility is in my network, I went with that.

They told me in advance that they would bill $34,000 and my estimated portion after insurance would be $5,900 or so. But they knew it wasn't in network and were just making up numbers hoping I'd pay it and not notice.

When it turned out it wasn't in network, they assured me they charge less than the hospital so it evens out (which doesn't even make sense).

If it was in my network, it would have cost me $930! Later I found out that (1) Hood River hospital does use the same anesthesia block, and (2) Hood River hospital would have charged about $11,000 for the same procedure they billed $34,000 for! (And Providence admits they charge more in Hood River; the same thing at Portland providence would cost even less.)

I sent Stanley a two-page letter explaining all this and he never even bothered to reply and defend himself. I tried to file a complaint with the Board of Medical Examiners but they only take complaints regarding medical treatment, not billing practices. So I am happy to publicize all this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: