Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Manzanito for tomorrow(May 10th)
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
The Turkey Gobbler

Since 09 May 2015
7 Posts

Kook

PostSat May 09, 15 9:28 pm    Manzanito for tomorrow(May 10th) Reply with quote

First day off the trainer tomorrow. I've watched lots of videos and feel pretty good about the self launch. My friend told me Manzanito looks sweet! He gave me his old kite, bar, harness, and wake board. I'm figuring out how to set up the strings tonight. I was going to borrow my dad's old triathlon suit to keep warm, but I've heard that might not be enough. I'll be there early to set up so if any of you guys want to show up and talk shop over coffee and a donut I'm buyin! So stoked for tomorrow guys! See ya all out there.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSat May 09, 15 9:52 pm     Reply with quote

Popcorn

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostSat May 09, 15 10:29 pm     Reply with quote

Lessons? Not a good idea to go it alone. If you are willing to damage yourself, at least make sure nobody is downwind of you for a couple hundred yards. Because you will crash and potentially someone will get hurt.

The Turkey Gobbler

Since 09 May 2015
7 Posts

Kook

PostSat May 09, 15 10:59 pm     Reply with quote

Like I said, I flew the trainer a bunch so I feel confident in my skills. The bar is really different with this big kite, but doesn't seem super complicated. Other than that should be good to go. Stoked! Loving Oregon and I've only been here a month! Any tips would be appreciated:)

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostSat May 09, 15 11:13 pm     Reply with quote

Not trying to kill the stoke. But bad bad idea to think you've got it. 5 years later hundreds of times kiting. I still crash. It's not like riding a bike. Each kite flies different.
It's up to you. But lessons are so important.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSun May 10, 15 2:44 am     Reply with quote

We'll be out there Turkey Gob! Just pick a line and miss it and just go for it!
Very Happy Thumb's Up

Surfwind

Since 24 Jul 2013
63 Posts

PostSun May 10, 15 5:30 am     Reply with quote

Quote:

Like I said, I flew the trainer a bunch so I feel confident in my skills. The bar is really different with this big kite, but doesn't seem super complicated. Other than that should be good to go. Stoked! Loving Oregon and I've only been here a month! Any tips would be appreciated:)

hahaha, Was that you on the yellow Slingy kite?

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostSun May 10, 15 5:58 am    SO STOKED Reply with quote

GO FOR IT, MAN-ZO!!

I taught myself with a kite I made out of candy wrappers and duck tape! Super easy! And all it ended up costing was a coupla fingers. Say Hi, (I'll be the guy flashing a half-shaka) Pinky Very Happy

kochease

Since 03 Jul 2008
760 Posts
In Ft. Stevens, OR
Opinionated

PostSun May 10, 15 10:09 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
GO FOR IT, MAN-ZO!!

I taught myself with a kite I made out of candy wrappers and duck tape! Super easy! And all it ended up costing was a coupla fingers. Say Hi, (I'll be the guy flashing a half-shaka) Pinky Very Happy
BBAAHHAAAA!!!

What time? Go out right in front of the main street in Manzo so we can all watch you from the live hotel camera. I want to see this! Popcorn Drunk

Be some great entertainment!

https://www.air-pirate.com

*CALL: 503-791-7372 *

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostSun May 10, 15 10:43 am     Reply with quote

The Turkey Gobbler wrote:

Haha, love the enthusiasm but I would let some rescue team know before you launch so the ambulance is standing by, because you'll need them very fast.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSun May 10, 15 11:22 am    Re: Manzanito for tomorrow(May 10th) Reply with quote

First day off the trainer tomorrow. I've watched lots of videos and feel pretty good about the self launch. My friend told me Manzanito looks sweet! He gave me his old kite, bar, harness, and wake board. I'm figuring out how to set up the strings tonight. I was going to borrow my dad's old triathlon suit to keep warm, but I've heard that might not be enough. I'll be there early to set up so if any of you guys want to show up and talk shop over coffee and a donut I'm buyin! So stoked for tomorrow guys! See ya all out there.

Hey TG: please do all us kiters a favor and go far south of the ManzanitO day use part of the state park, where little to NO ONE will be on the beach for you to crash into.

Please DO NOT launch and practice on the main beach where lots of people use the ManzanitA (with an "a" not an "o"; or Manzo for short as us Kiters call it).

Or better yet go up on the Northern strip (Sunset Beach, using Sunset Beach access where one can drive on to the beach) where the winds are lighter and less gusty and there are little to no crowds.

And the offer and coffee and donuts was/is nice, but FYI, beer is the common bartering medium in the kiting world; especially in these parts.

The Turkey Gobbler

Since 09 May 2015
7 Posts

Kook

PostSun May 10, 15 6:34 pm     Reply with quote

Hey everybody-

So I talked to another buddy back in the Midwest and he said DO NOT GO without a lesson(s). He gave me a couple of essentials as well that I thought I should share with the forum if you didn't already know:

-make sure you spend at least one to two days working on the self rescue. I honestly don't see the big deal. I've watched a few videos on it and it seems pretty straight forward. Hope I don't pay 150/hr on lessons to learn that!
-never kite without a life jacket
-always wear some sort of noise making device i.e. Whistle or small air horn
-if water temp is below 55 degrees then make sure you're invested in a dry suit
-carry a diving knife or similar(in case you get wrapped up in the strings)
-he said there were also small/light backpacks on the market that you can carry some essentials in. He mentioned a single swim fin. Lol- I forgot to ask him why just one, but he was drinking so I kind of just blew that piece of advice off.
There was a lot of great info he have me and I can't remember it all now, but wanted to pass it on to the folks on here, maybe get some more input. Thanks again guys. Ginger Ales on me if I ever meet you guys!

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostSun May 10, 15 6:57 pm     Reply with quote

Hey everybody-

So I talked to another buddy back in the Midwest and he said DO NOT GO without a lesson(s). He gave me a couple of essentials as well that I thought I should share with the forum if you didn't already know:

-make sure you spend at least one to two days working on the self rescue. I honestly don't see the big deal. I've watched a few videos on it and it seems pretty straight forward. Hope I don't pay 150/hr on lessons to learn that!
-he said there were also small/light backpacks on the market that you can carry some essentials in. He mentioned a single swim fin. Lol- I forgot to ask him why just one, but he was drinking so I kind of just blew that piece of advice off.
There was a lot of great info he have me and I can't remember it all now, but wanted to pass it on to the folks on here, maybe get some more input. Thanks again guys. Ginger Ales on me if I ever meet you guys!

Id say this person is having some fun with the safety nazis on this forum (not discounting the importance of safety).

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostSun May 10, 15 10:22 pm     Reply with quote

Going!!!!

muthergoose

Since 14 Oct 2013
169 Posts
East Couve
Stoked

PostMon May 11, 15 7:14 am     Reply with quote

haha hilarious....i think they call that a troll!! Great thread

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon May 11, 15 2:01 pm     Reply with quote

Hey everybody-

TTG you can't be for real. . .but if you are here are the goods/advice on kiting:

-TTG you don't need to know how to self rescue as there are always others out on the water (river or ocean) that will come sailing immediately to your rescue when you are in trouble. In fact, they are out there not for their respective personal pleasure, but to watch and service you should you require assistance.

-Screw the $150 per hour lessons as what the heck do those multiple years of experienced d-wad instructors know anyways?

I'm sure viewing a video in the comfort of your own home is just as good as practicing a self rescue in cold, life threatening water temps, dealing with a strong current, barges bearing down upon you after exhausting yourself from a kiting session, fighting the currents and cold temps, and dealing with adrenaline surges from your body, all the while in constant swell. I won't even mention how easy it is to self rescue when one is caught in a back-eddie on the Columbia.

-life jackets are not needed. read below.

-as far as wearing a drysuit for under 55 degrees and wearing a noise maker/whistle; skip both of these. see below.

Just eat a big can of beans hours before you go out because it will not only be a great fuel source to keep you warm and energized, but when you have to fart, the warm 98.6 degree gases you expel will warm you up much more than a dry suit ever will and may even act as a whistle for someone to hear you--but remember you won't need that whistle as someone will always be there to help you (whether another kiter, boater, or the Coast Guard). Plus the added gases in your wetsuit will help keep one afloat; just like a life jacket.

A knife is actually a good idea. If you get caught up in something or your lines, cutting them is the fastest best way to save one's self. Plus the knife can be used to open up your weak-ass Apres kite session ginger ales.

And for the backpack, in some instances it is nice to be able to have a pair of sandals or board shorts for a walk/car ride back to one's launch. Also you can put some baby wipes in the pack for use later to wipe yourself after you Sh*t yourself after realizing that the video experience was really no substitute for the real thing/lessons on and in the water ie practicing a self rescue with someone that knows what they are doing and can properly teach someone else.

Hope this helps?! Good winds to ya! See you floating by on my future session!

Razz Very Happy Evil or Very Mad

The Turkey Gobbler

Since 09 May 2015
7 Posts

Kook

PostMon May 11, 15 3:53 pm     Reply with quote

Sasquatch-

From your description I got really sidetracked. With all the talk of adrenaline, cold water, currents and giant swell I got the impression of being a rescue swimmer in the bay of Alaska, not kiteboarding. Is kiting really that hard for you???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: