Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Idiot KILLED the tree in Stevenson
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon May 11, 15 7:08 pm     Reply with quote

John, I know your intentions are good, and you're a smart lad... but if you had worked 30+ years as "public servant" (in my case WSDOT) you'd know there is truly no limitation on how stupid some people are. I've cleaned up after damage around state bridges and signs like this that lack any sense whatsoever. Just the single reality that it's in the "public domain" is enough reason for someone to take a shit on it. Have you seen the razor wire now caging in all bridges and signs in the Los Angeles area? It's coming this way fast.
Probably skipped past Detroit Smile

kitesurfer1

Since 11 May 2015
6 Posts

Kook

PostMon May 11, 15 7:31 pm     Reply with quote

I just started kiting but from my stand point with that ugly tree gone we can launch kites in a much safer manner. The wind shadow it causes can be very dangerous and not to mention all of the rocks you have to stand on while launching someone should look into putting sand where you launch from too.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostMon May 11, 15 7:54 pm     Reply with quote

Yep just like gravel on all the single tracks ....safety first..... Twisted Evil
safe for everyone..... go find a challenging spot somewhere else....

Will the razor wire and chain link around the new tree be a kiting hazard?

Maybe the urine concentration in the vicinity will subside.

kitesurfer1

Since 11 May 2015
6 Posts

Kook

PostMon May 11, 15 8:09 pm    Tree gone Reply with quote

Guys come on lets get real the tree really ruins the scenery anyway from now on we can enjoy the view of the river like it was meant to be.

tree gone - Copy.jpg 

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostMon May 11, 15 8:18 pm     Reply with quote

kitesurfer1 wrote:
I just started kiting but from my stand point with that ugly tree gone we can launch kites in a much safer manner. The wind shadow it causes can be very dangerous and not to mention all of the rocks you have to stand on while launching someone should look into putting sand where you launch from too.

You bring up a good point newby, but there is a fine line balancing who has the priority in this situation. If the tree were,say, a shrub only having grown in the past couple of years, then yes, the kiters might have priority of removal. But, in this case, this was a tree that had long been here growing many years(decades) before kiters showed up and by that right has more priority and importance, not in just age, but in relevance to shade for the grass/visitors, stability for the bank, and yes, even as a wind shadow for all the non-kiters who used the spot. Therefore, in this situation it was our responsibility to work around the proximity of the tree and the circumstances surrounding its location.
There was no truly supportable reason for removing the tree.

www.Purestokesports.com

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4200 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon May 11, 15 9:30 pm    Re: Tree gone Reply with quote

kitesurfer1 wrote:
Guys come on lets get real the tree really ruins the scenery anyway from now on we can enjoy the view of the river like it was meant to be.

Yeah, that's right--trees ruin the scenery. Let's cut all the damn trees down. Far more scenic that way. Trolls... Rolling Eyes

As far as safety, if that tree was a hazard to you, you have no business kiting at Stevenson. You think that tree was the worst hazard there? If so, you have no clue. More likely the tree kept people away who have no business at an advanced launch like Stevenson. Viewed in that light, launching at Stevenson will be MORE hazardous without the tree, because more newbies will launch there who aren't qualified to launch there anyway. I think it likely we'll see an increase in the injury rate at Stevie because of this.

lldkr

Since 01 Jun 2012
47 Posts

PostMon May 11, 15 11:14 pm     Reply with quote

if the felled tree hasn't been ripped to shreds and whoever has it is seriously interested in using lumber for stringers in boards, let me know

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1744 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostMon May 11, 15 11:34 pm    lol this guy Reply with quote

Found this oldpost on J.P. Are you the same J.P.?
This is a quote from someone in 2007

"JP with any luck you will go psycho on another kiter chick and will receive another ban from the gorge, i only hope the judge is savvy enough to ban you from kitesurfing threads as well. You must be an incredible tool to carry on the way you do. Even if your version is 100% correct you should be man enough to leave well enough alone, perhaps you are jealous because one of your buddies was riding your chick with a bigger board. either way you suck... stay in italy cockusminumus"

This guy, J.P., is talking smack about me? following quoted from J.P.

"All valid possibilities… yet all with a very low to null probability.

Face it, no one besides a kiter has a logical, rational motive to go after THAT tree.
As the saying goes, smell the coffee… it’s a kiter, and IMHO one who kites there a regular basis.

I’d also like to be as bold as to say, if anyone had a real grudge against the Dangler, there were many and it was during his windsurfing days when he was known as the “Stalker".
I watched, like many of you did as well, many angry boyfriends want to take his head off in the parking for his manner of “swell ride/ tailing / becoming their shadow" with the Shred Bettie he picked that session."

WHEN YOU REFERENCE "SHRED BETTIE" DON'T YOU MEAN "SHRED BARBIE". AHAHAHAHAHA!

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostTue May 12, 15 8:19 am     Reply with quote

This thread is full of hate.

Find something good to use the wood for (my vote is park bench and BOTG/Blowout Trophies and put the mulch/wood chips in the flower beds at stevenson), plant a new tree, move on and be stoked.

Bargeslayer

Since 08 Jul 2012
100 Posts

Stoked

PostTue May 12, 15 8:34 am     Reply with quote

C Johnson wrote:
plant a new tree, move on and be stoked.

Best post in this thread by far. Thank you!

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 12, 15 8:36 am     Reply with quote

C Johnson wrote:

Find something good to use the wood for (my vote is park bench and BOTG/Blowout Trophies and put the mulch/wood chips in the flower beds at stevenson), plant a new tree, move on and be stoked.

Tell GROM... he'll get busy:

PS, In my ecstatic joy I forgot this at the Stevenson launch.. . then found it the following morning under the now-gone tree where a kind soul had placed it in the "Lost & Found" area.

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostTue May 12, 15 8:41 am     Reply with quote

To spite the person who cut the tree, and to spite those that think the tree should have been cut down - we should replant the tree with a Honey Locust. It will really test the launching and landing skills of any kiter and make those who do not like trees at their launch go kite somewhere else. Here is a pic of the trunk of this "friendly" tree ........ Wink

HoneyLocustThorn.JPG 

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostTue May 12, 15 10:49 am    Re: lol this guy Reply with quote

dangler wrote:

I’d also like to be as bold as to say, if anyone had a real grudge against the Dangler, there were many and it was during his windsurfing days when he was known as the “Stalker".
I watched, like many of you did as well, many angry boyfriends want to take his head off in the parking for his manner of “swell ride/ tailing / becoming their shadow" with the Shred Bettie he picked that session."
WHEN YOU REFERENCE "SHRED BETTIE" DON'T YOU MEAN "SHRED BARBIE". AHAHAHAHAHA!

Dangler/Stalker
GO BACK AND RE-READ THE POST, NO ONE IS TALKING SMACK.
Anyone that's been in this community for the last 25 years clearly knows what I'm referring to.

I suppose I could the post some of the many threads all written about your “Stalking” behaviors that are well documented in the gorge forums…

I recall many days at the hatch in the 1990'S watching you and the many confrontations that occurred in the parking lots during your windsurfing days.

I have NOT seen anything like that in the last 15 years, so when someone makes the comment , (paraphrasing) the tree came down over some grudge that they have with you, I simply don't get it.

Not that you're interested but all of Shred barbie's accusation made in 2003 where dismissed “with Predjuce” in part to make it easier to recover my lawyer fees from her. ((A dismissal with prejudice is dismissal of a case on merits after adjudication. The plaintiff is barred from bringing an action on the same claim. Dismissal with prejudice is a final judgment and the case becomes res judicata on the claims that were or could have been brought in it.))

dangler wrote:

with any luck you will go psycho on another

Please take this in the most positive manner sans anything remotely related to hate:

It's a darn good thing that you haven't been holding your breath the last 12 years waiting for that day to occur! Very Happy

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

Last edited by J.P. on Tue May 12, 15 4:22 pm; edited 13 times in total

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostTue May 12, 15 10:50 am     Reply with quote

C Johnson wrote:

A great idea!

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostTue May 12, 15 11:36 am     Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:

There was no truly supportable reason for removing the tree.

I miss it's shade already. Sad

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

westender

Since 09 Aug 2008
41 Posts
Portland/Stevenson

PostTue May 12, 15 8:17 pm     Reply with quote

I've heard people say bad things about that tree in E. wind.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 13, 15 10:25 am     Reply with quote

westender wrote:
I've heard people say bad things about that tree in E. wind.

The east wind and the tree are not even issues. You launch with your kite below the free anyway.

If people don't like the launch go to the sand bar from rock creek just down river. With summer levels already it might be the most user friendly launch!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: