Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Idiot KILLED the tree in Stevenson
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostWed May 06, 15 10:37 am    Idiot KILLED the tree in Stevenson Reply with quote

I don't often go off on a rant or get pissed off but some STUPID F'n IDIOT has cut 3/4 of the way through the tree at the East Point launch in Stevenson. The Port is trying to review webcam footage to see if they can figure out who/when but if anyone knows anything about this please call the Sheriff in Stevenson.

I don't know that a kiter or a windsurfer did this but I suspect it was because I've heard a few kiters complain about the tree before and have asked to have it trimmed and/or removed.

Here's my take: if you're so worried about the tree messing up your launch GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. If you're too incompetent to deal with the launch as it is you don't need to be kiting in Stevenson. If you're worried about the rocks, or the wind shadow or anything else in Stevenson just go away.

This was a beautiful tree and has been part of the gorge for at least 15 years. It's really a shame that it was destroyed. It provides stability to the bank and makes a beautiful place to relax in the shade.

For all that the Vegan/Crossfit/Gluten-Free/Eco Friendly/Tree Hugging kiters espouse being environmentally friendly I'm surprised that one of us would stoop so low. I really hope it wasn't a kiter that did this but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I'm going to do my best to make sure it gets replaced.

Tony

East_point_tree_cut.jpg 
   2015050695105635.jpg 

Last edited by tonyb on Wed May 06, 15 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total

muthergoose

Since 14 Oct 2013
169 Posts
East Couve
Stoked

PostWed May 06, 15 10:45 am     Reply with quote

Thats really sad. Tree was a landmark at stevenson and gave that launch alot of character. I hope they can salvage it although it didnt look good from what I could see in that picture. What a shame
Last edited by muthergoose on Wed May 06, 15 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Addict

Since 26 Jun 2012
101 Posts

Stoked

PostWed May 06, 15 10:45 am     Reply with quote

That's so wrong!!! Not to mention the money it will take to remove the tree and the stump.

skent

Since 08 Aug 2011
170 Posts
North Bend, WA & Lyle, WA
Stoked

PostWed May 06, 15 11:03 am     Reply with quote

That's F'ed up. Sad I hope they figure out who it was. With that much of it cut I don't think it is going to make it. Sad I would be willing to kick in some money $$ to help replace the tree.

CGKA Member

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed May 06, 15 11:03 am     Reply with quote

WTF??? What a selfish move. That's horrible. I hope it was not a kiter that did this. I would like to think that people that enjoy the natural and scenic aspects of kiting would have more respect for our launches and kiting spots.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostWed May 06, 15 11:18 am     Reply with quote

That is super jacked up...

www.freeridekiting.com

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed May 06, 15 11:43 am     Reply with quote

skent wrote:
That's F'ed up. Sad I hope they figure out who it was. With that much of it cut I don't think it is going to make it. Sad I would be willing to kick in some money $$ to help replace the tree.

That's a great idea. Is there anyone that communicates with someone at the City of Stevenson and wants to offer to set up a fund? It may or may not have been a kiter that did this but it would reflect well on the kite community if we stepped in to help repair the damage. I'd definitely contribute.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 06, 15 11:49 am    What a fucking dickwad Reply with quote

That is the most fucked up thing I've seen in a long time. I loved that tree! If that was a kiter, they should be banned from the sport, continually heckled wherever they go, and pay a HUGE fine.-

Like losing a favorite pet. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostWed May 06, 15 12:16 pm     Reply with quote

The tree is on Port of Skamania County property and we (I'm a Port Commissioner) are the ones who are going to have to deal with getting the tree out of there so it doesn't fall and hurt someone (oh how I wish Karma would come in to play right now!) and then replant something to stabilize the bank.

This wasn't in the budget for this year and the improvements that would have been done this year won't happen now because the funds are going to get consumed by this.

I'm up for contributing in to a fund to replace the tree. Let's see what happens over the next few days and maybe we can come up with something.

Tony

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostWed May 06, 15 1:02 pm     Reply with quote

What an asshole move. I hope the cam captured something. Criminal behavior like this is cowardly- and hopefully like it always does- KARMA will come kick their ass. The poisen, now this? Kiters come together and look out for each other -- at least that's been my experience, but in light of these incidents-- we should raise the bar this summer looking out for each other--We always do; but this summer; we need to dig deeper. Let this be the last maleficence to happen here. The sun will rise over a new gorge- a place where bikes, boards, and kites won't get ripped off- cuz we're in this together and we're looking out for each other.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed May 06, 15 1:04 pm     Reply with quote

that's sad and evil

- I'll contribute to replacing the tree

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostWed May 06, 15 1:49 pm     Reply with quote

Thats messed up I love the shade and protection from kooks that tree provided. It's not even in the way of launching. I hope they webcam catches them

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 06, 15 2:13 pm     Reply with quote

user124 wrote:
skent wrote:

That's a great idea. Is there anyone that communicates with someone at the City of Stevenson and wants to offer to set up a fund? It may or may not have been a kiter that did this but it would reflect well on the kite community if we stepped in to help repair the damage. I'd definitely contribute.

If it is at all even remotely possible to bring in a big truck with replacement job, PLease... Let's start a fund right now. Kickstart? Anything! Are there any arborists in NWKite who would know about large tree placement work?
Obviously this landmark tree is a goner.
If the culprit is in the kite community I am confident he/she is childish enough to also be a loud-mouth, and we'll have the guilty ass soon.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed May 06, 15 2:18 pm     Reply with quote

Shit the tree was not even in the way of launching or landing. Like if someone was to do something, then blow up the rock down below !! I’m in for donating money, AND MY FREE TIME, we need that hill stabilized without the port rebuilding it in a manner that does cause problems.

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostWed May 06, 15 3:25 pm     Reply with quote

booooo. tree killers be damned.

garden

Since 06 May 2015
1 Posts

PostWed May 06, 15 3:26 pm    completely opposite Reply with quote

I dont often go off on a rant:) but I would like to shake the hand of whomever cut down that tree and tell him thank you. That tree has been a pain in the ass as long as I have been kiting in Stevenson. Whoever says that tree never caused any problems is just plain DUMB. Y'all are idiots if for crying over a troublesome tree.

P.S. Why is Tony bitchen? The guy leaves his trailer in the prime parking lot spaces so he doesn't have to pack up his gear and take it home like everyone else. This takes away one of the few spots where we can actually park. Figure it out.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed May 06, 15 5:16 pm     Reply with quote

Popcorn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: