Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

2 gear questions for a newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
froman

Since 23 Jun 2011
1 Posts
Seattle/Bay Area

PostSat May 02, 15 2:59 am    2 gear questions for a newbie Reply with quote

Two questions here--one on surfboard selection, the other on kite lines.

Surfboard: I'm relatively new to kiteboarding. I can stay upwind, am comfortable toe side and enjoy carving turns based on many years prior in windsurfing.

I'm eager to get into riding a surfboard, as I think I'm more drawn to carving fun turns than getting big air on a twin tip. I don't anticipate that I'll be riding it in big ocean waves any time soon.

Does anyone have a recommendation on the length or type of board I should look at? It seems that there are many different directional styles.

I'm particularly interested in the why behind any board, or why any particular model would be good, since I'll likely be buying used from what I can find here.

I'm 5'8", 150 lbs FWIW.

Additional question on lines: I've got a north 2012 bar that I use with 4 lines. I was wondering why I had such a hard time getting powered up in marginal conditions, and realized that my rear lines are both about 5 inches longer than my front lines, as measured when the bar is fully extended in its depowered state. Is there some really simple adjustment I've missed?

Thanks in advance!

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostSat May 02, 15 5:22 am     Reply with quote

Easiest thing to do would be to find a used relatively wide surfboard (18"+) with 5'8 to 6'0 Length. That will let you learn to ride directionals easily, practice jibes etc. And then later when you know what you're doing on a surfboard you can demo other boards and figure out what type of surfboard you will want next. There are lots of options, and I'm no expert, but I know that surfboards come in many styles that do ride different.

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostSat May 02, 15 6:01 am    Line length Reply with quote

When you have the kite in the air above you, judge how high the bar goes up the depower rope - I like it to be near the top so I can depower fully by reaching out, power by pulling in. If the outsides are too long, the spot will be too close to you and prevent you from being able to engage the kite, if they are too short, you will have trouble depowering the kite. The ideal spot for me is where I can ride powered without having to lean over to depower. Make adjustments and see the result.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSat May 02, 15 6:23 am    Surfboard Reply with quote

The Slingshot Celeritas always seems to be a tried and true first surfboard recommendation. It's wide (18 1/2 inches) and has good flotation so pretty easy to learn on, and not that hard to ride strapless if you want to try that. It has a relatively flat rear rocker so it will get you up wind well. It also will be good for you as you progress for at least a couple of years and maybe longer unless you rapidly transition to overhead-double overhead waves, at which point something with more rocker would fit the bill. It's great for the smaller 3-5 ft stuff at the coast as well as river swell.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSat May 02, 15 6:58 am     Reply with quote

yea, any cheap surfboard will work fine, wider 18-20 inches is better, flatter is better to learn on

as for the line length, if it is a North kite as well as the lines
when the bar is set to full power, which means bar pulled in and trim strap full out, the lines should be the same length.

So, you check the 2 front lines first to be sure they are the same length, then you check the front lines to the back lines and the two back lines to each other. Just hook the ends of the lines to something strong and pull on the chicken loop and bar with the same power and bar should be just touching the chicken loop assembly and square to the object. This will get you really close and then you can adjust it for personal preferences.

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostSat May 02, 15 12:10 pm     Reply with quote

Here is the “Alternative” method of how to learn to use a surfboard:

Buy a Paipo or make one yourself from quarter inch plywood. Don’t put straps on it, since the footwork to learning to jibe it is easier with just a pad.

This board can be used in low wind and the long flat edge will get you upwind (like a “door”), so even with your initial slow clumsy turns, you will stay upwind, and feel less like a beginner. The board can be used to do a “heel-side slide” turn, just like you do on your twin-tip, so in a tight situation, like avoiding other kiters, etc, you can maintain control and avoid hazards.

Plus, the Paipo is a fun board in low wind, and when you progress to a “foil”, you can just bolt the “hydrofoil” on to the Paipo.

The squared-off, flat paipo is the most forgiving board you can get on to allow you to get your footwork down, without falling in all the time. It will make you feel better than you are.

Also, the little fins won’t hurt you like the 3 or 4 surfboard fins will, when things go wrong.

The real Hawaiian ones are made of paulonia wood and make excellent wall hangings, when not in use.

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostSun May 03, 15 12:56 pm     Reply with quote

The length of the rear lines are adjustable at the bar. Pull the foam floaters up away from the bar, and you will see how. There are knots that you will need to move to make the lines shorter.

sanderson84

Since 06 May 2015
1 Posts

PostWed May 06, 15 3:49 pm     Reply with quote

:)

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostWed May 06, 15 4:24 pm     Reply with quote

you should not spent more than $300 on your first (used) surf board, especially if you are so new to the sport that you are actually learning to kite on it.

Why? -- because you are going to loose this board to river and you will ding it for sure. Its just the breaks of the learning!

Try for an epoxy board instead of glass - since it will have more durability...

-A.K.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostThu May 07, 15 2:39 pm    6-0 thruster glass 2bills and wax...go Reply with quote

Buy a used surfboard with 3 fins and a good solid glass job, an extra coat. Buy some wax and goober it up really good and then Go!

My favorite board right now is a 200$ Tri fin, no straps.

As far as good strapped surfboards try to find a 2013-14 6-2 Tyrant Slinger. If you like to jump you're gonna love jumping a strapped surfboard!

On big days, 4 to 8foot faces, I'm always strapped. I'm lazy and I don't wanna swim for my board.

On flattter days I'll go and do strappless on my surfboard. I use my strapped Tyrant all the time. I beat it up good. Ripped my fins out at Moks, and glassed em in solid.

inmyo[img][img]

DSCF0182.jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: