Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

HR Event site Rat Poison
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kitebug

Since 27 Apr 2015
40 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Apr 27, 15 7:49 pm    HR Event site Rat Poison Reply with quote

Some insane individual is scattering rat poison at the event site in Hood River. About a month ago a dog got sick. Last week this person struck again and a dog died. There was a rumor that it was salmon poisoning, but our friend knows the dog owner and she says that the vet said it was not salmon poisoning, and the dog exhibited symptoms of rat poisoning. From my experience there is not a lot of dead salmon in the area right now for several reasons, and rarely is it at the event site. What kind of psychopath spreads rat poison in a public park! I am picturing a toddler getting into the bushes or something and ingesting some rat poison. If it's intended for dogs, I wonder if this psycho will care if a child gets sick or dies. It sounds like it's a local since this is the second round in the last month. There aren't that many early season locals. Please if you see anyone at the even site acting suspicious I suggest confronting them. Just letting them know they are not incognito may be enough. Some people I know were saying " I bet it's a kiteboarder that doesn't like dogs" I don't think dogs can swim fast enough to bother kiters. Psycopath... if you are reading, we will find you! The penalty is quite harsh for this... read jail time! We are watching and we will find you.

Sorry for the bummer first post, but I know a lot of you have dogs, and everyone should be aware there is a psycho in our midst.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1744 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 27, 15 8:45 pm    sick dogs Reply with quote

Took my dog to the vet today, she hasn't eaten in three days. My other dog is sick as well. Both have been at the event site just prior to sickness. Blood work results tomorrow.

Someone out there is in need of psychiatric help. Mad

ecameron

Since 29 Jul 2009
90 Posts
PDX

PostMon Apr 27, 15 9:35 pm    absolutely despicable Reply with quote

Im very sorry to hear about your dogs, dangler. This same kind of thing happened at laurelhurst park in se pdx years ago. Not sure what poison was used, but somehow they did get it to stop. Maybe some research on what occured to make that happen? Just an idea. There's a mosiac memorial at the lucky lab on hawthorne. Horrible it comes up in HR. best of luck with the bloodwork.

ecameron

Since 29 Jul 2009
90 Posts
PDX

PostMon Apr 27, 15 9:40 pm    seems nothing really happened to make it stop Reply with quote

http://www.katu.com/news/local/8149947.html?mobile=y

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4201 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Apr 27, 15 10:41 pm     Reply with quote

That is just insane. What kind of worthless, low life, rat shit piece of scum would do a thing like this? It just goes to show that some people walking around aren't even human.

Dangler, so sorry to hear about your dogs. I hope and pray they'll be alright.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 27, 15 11:53 pm     Reply with quote

This happens in our small town in Mexico almost daily, so sad.... But Hood River? Sucks.

Last edited by wylieflyote on Tue Apr 28, 15 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total

lloyd

Since 16 Aug 2007
108 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostTue Apr 28, 15 6:44 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the head's up.

WINDUDE

Since 10 Jun 2010
558 Posts
GORGE!
Addicted

PostTue Apr 28, 15 6:51 am     Reply with quote

if someone has time you can find all the local places that sell rat poison and have them do a credit card check and see if they used a card to purchase it. See if there were any purchases just before the incident happened.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 28, 15 7:19 am     Reply with quote

pretty disturbing to hear this is going on.
I heard a couple months back about it.
ever since, I've been looking around event site for it but not sure what to look for.
does anyone know what the rat poison might look like?
yeah dangler hope your dog is better.

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostTue Apr 28, 15 7:57 am     Reply with quote

Looks like rat poison comes in several colors. Looking at a google search - looks like the more common color is green. Much of it looks like rodent food, but some comes in blocks or triangles. Here is a link for an image search -
https://www.google.com/search?q=what+does+rat+poison+look+like&biw=1366&bih=651&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=xaw_VdrdFIeayATb6IHoBA&sqi=2&ved=0CB0QsAQ

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1744 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 28, 15 8:53 am    poison Reply with quote

I first became aware of this about six weeks ago, someone posted about their dog getting sick at event site, and showed a picture of the green mini barrel rat poison in grass. Can't find the post going back to January. Did the original poster delete it? Was the picture of poison actually taken at Event site? or just to illustrate what to look for?

Very disturbing, my dogs are my family! Blood work seems to indicate an infection is more likely to blame, (I watch my dogs like a hawk, I'm a helicopter parent!)

A big danger to dogs around here is salmon poisoning. Please don't let your dogs run loose near the rivers, as this is very common in the PNW.

Back to the vet for further testing today, fingers crossed my "kids" are gonna be O.K.

P.S. I always clean up after my dogs, hope y'all are doing the same!

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Apr 28, 15 11:03 am     Reply with quote

Hope all is going to OK Dangler!

We've had to treat Astro for Salmon Poisoning a couple times - seems some dogs really love rotting salmon - usually more of a fall thing when they spawn and die

Rat poison is hard to fathom - make sure to tell folks when you are at the Event Site...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

teabagger

Since 15 Jun 2012
68 Posts

CGKA Member

PostTue Apr 28, 15 11:11 am     Reply with quote

Do you think the port would let us post a sign at the event site bathrooms that says to watch out because this is happening? I think they would since they are aware and also worried about it.

Added benefit besides spreading the word: if the sign gets taken down it would be easy to point a GoPro at the sign to catch the person taking it down. Wink

Dangler- I can't remember, are you on FB? I didn't see it posted here but I did see the post on FB from the vet's office in HR with the photo of the green barrel rat poison.

~Kristi

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 28, 15 1:31 pm    Possible ? Reply with quote

Is it known the rat poison is at the grass area of the event site?

Or is it possible some of the food service businesses in the area have rat poison placed outside their facilities?

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

teabagger

Since 15 Jun 2012
68 Posts

CGKA Member

PostTue Apr 28, 15 1:38 pm     Reply with quote

"Dr Lee treated a dog that ingested what appears to be a Decon (rodent poison) type of product down at the Hood River event site. This occurred at approximately 2:30pm 3/11/15. The poison was dumped near the shore line and Dr Lee, along with the Hood River Port Authority, identified and cleaned the dispersed product. A concern remains that this may not be the only pile that was applied by a person likely trying to poison either the geese or dogs that frequent the area.

PLEASE be very careful if you take your pet down the the waterfront area. The Port has posted signs and they are searching the area, but it's green and it blends in very well with the grass. (Kudos the the HR Port for taking this so seriously)

Call the clinic immediately if you feel that your pet may have ingested this poison. It can be treated if caught early, otherwise it can cause fatal internal bleeding without other symptoms or warning. "

(Copied from this post on FB from the Columbia Gorge Veterinary Clinic: https://www.facebook.com/ColumbiaGorgeVeterinaryClinicInc/photos/a.582831368430992.1073741825.337363172977814/826422510738542/)

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
833 Posts

Opinionated

PostTue Apr 28, 15 2:41 pm     Reply with quote

Whoever they catch who was doing this should be fed rat poison.

I ask myself every day, more and more these days it seems, what is wrong with people!?

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 28, 15 7:22 pm     Reply with quote

Is there no security cam or webcam that we can tap into? I'd donate $ to CGKA to get a security cam put in at the event site.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: