Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT - kiting with an MP3 player

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 21, 15 4:17 pm    OT - kiting with an MP3 player Reply with quote

I recently bought a waterproofed ipod nano for swimming and I would really love to use it while kiting also. I have seen a few people out riding while listening to music so I am curious where people keep the ipod thats secure yet easy to access? I don’t want to lose it into the drink like the countless sunglasses, hook knifes etc.

Was thinking of having a pocket added to my impact vest or just zip tying it to the front zip of my wetsuit somehow

Thank you in advance

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostTue Apr 21, 15 6:19 pm     Reply with quote

i just shove the player in a little dry bag with a mini jack output, then shove the bag down the back of my wetsuit. knock on wood, haven't lost a player yet to the briny deep.

this is the bag i use...

http://www.amazon.com/Seattle-Sports-Audio-Micro-Orange/dp/B002L9FM2E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1429669059&sr=8-3&keywords=dry+bag+audio+player

airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 21, 15 6:22 pm    i have the waterproofed shuffle Reply with quote

I learned about it on the Blowout and I saw Brandon Schneid (LF) had one.

I followed his lead and put it on a strong small rope with a safety tie, around my neck.

I can access it through my wetsuit because i know where the buttons are.

It has been so nice...listening to music while doing the best thing out there. Like cake and eating it too.

Not sure about a Nano, hopefully there's some way to attach a string...

Cheers

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostTue Apr 21, 15 6:36 pm     Reply with quote

I use the pullover kite vest from Promotion because of the zip pocket in front for easy access. It's not coast guard approved but it takes a punch and keeps me well above water with no riding restriction. Many brands sell the same set-up so look for ease of access as everyone is doing it differently....but it all works.

http://stores.wetsuit.com/buoyancy-impact-vests/

Buy cheap waterproof headphones that wrap around your ears so they're secure because that ends up being the biggest pain in the ass to deal with. Side benefit is it keeps water/pollen out of your ears.

When the right music and some nice swell aligns is a tasty experience. Mix your music up because the tempo matches your riding. You'll see....and just have fun with it. Very Happy

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 21, 15 6:52 pm     Reply with quote

hey hey hey Sella this is effin fun. hey hey hey woo hooo. Dam it he has his headphones on again and cant hear me. Dam it. Time to put my tunes in so I can sing along too:-)

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostTue Apr 21, 15 7:06 pm     Reply with quote

over the years i have shredded through big swells trying to blast metallica . Usually after a few splashes the head phones short and shut down the thrill.

My new set up is a iPhone in a waterproof case bluetoothing one of the small waterproof shower speakers all lanyarded and tucked in to suit. Phone for safety doesn't hurt.

Not as isolating with the speaker near neck instead of in ears to.

Time will tell if this solves my music issues.

I have tried several swimming specific mp3s and the headphones that come with them and they all have sucked.

i can't tell you how much more fun 10 foot seas are with music..... or fumbling with it
for the extra excitement.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 21, 15 8:13 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys, lots of useful ideas. So far the iPod has worked great for swimming but the earphones that came with it are poor and some times do not create a good seal

I didn't think to just shove it down wet suit

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Apr 22, 15 10:05 am     Reply with quote

Dog Patrol wrote:
hey hey hey Sella this is effin fun. hey hey hey woo hooo. Dam it he has his headphones on again and cant hear me. Dam it. Time to put my tunes in so I can sing along too:-)

Safety first Dog......and then up to the Hatch singing some Rush and whatever else assists with our water therapy sessions because all the world's indeed a stage
and we are merely players, performers and portrayers.

Regi's set-up is interesting/cool and having a phone for safety is such a great idea.

Jerp, to help the seal my "set it and forget it" mode is wearing a headband to keep it all together as you go through the rinse cycle. Works great......water stays out.....headphones stay in, no sunburned ears or forehead plus you'll be joining Team Total Kook with me. We are a small band of shitty kiters but we have fun dammit!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: