Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Can I afford to kiteboard?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostMon Apr 20, 15 7:43 pm    good advice, all of it: Reply with quote

sfbomber wrote:
I highly recommend a helmet and a pfd.
+1) On not buying gear until after you completed your lessons. One bit of advice I'd offer is to invest in good boards to cover each wind range. When I say good, I don't mean expensive, just efficient, look for used or closeout. Board choice has a more dramatic effect on your session, than changing kites imo. Then spend the money left over on an efficient 2005+ 9-10M kite. Then each year plan on buying ONE additional 2005+ kite to add more range [for e.x. 6M/9M/16M minimalist quiver for a 200# rider]. When I first started out I rode one board and kept buying additional kites to add range, when I could have done the same with additional boards, and for less money. I've since learned that I can cover the same range with one kite and three boards, that I could have with three kites and one board. It's much quicker to come in and switch boards when the winds change than vice versa. Once you have a few kites in your quiver, you can ask yourself which board you feel like riding, than pump up the appropriate kite based on the conditions.
Be safe (for yourself, and for others). Visit spots where you think you'll ride and talk to the locals, and hopefully make some friends. Respect their knowledge and experience. Buying kites is like buying cars, stay away from lemons and buy something with low miles. When you are first starting out it's better to buy kites complete with bar&lines.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostThu Apr 23, 15 6:51 am     Reply with quote

Careful on closeout boards. Too much rocker, like wakestyle boards will really hold you back from getting upwind. Don't buy into the "surfboards are better for upwind" because they are not in 100% of the cases with regards to beginners and some for intermediates.

You can get burned on bars too. I love Best kites. I will never use their bars. Do research and make sure the bar system has been out for a while. New designs are dangerous for heavy weights like me when they find a "new way to use plastic" instead of metal. Plastic hinges and plastic bearing surfaces are a great way for your family and their lawyer to make out in a wrongful death lawsuit. Proven bar systems (mainly the chicken loop release) that have been around for a while are your best bet. But do your own research and make sure there are very few chicken loop problems with the system you intend to purchase.

Harnesses? Is it me or is Dakine using webbing for the bar straps that only lasts 3/4ths of the season. I'm shopping for a new brand now.

Lessons are great. Paying that much money for anything should be worth it. But the best lesson is a trainer kite self taught lesson. Keeping the trainer up in the air in light "off-on" winds and sending a text message with the other hand is better than anything anyone can teach you. After that, do the same while you tie your shoe and you are better than most. This will give you kite control. Lessons are for safety, board skills, and kite power development.

The key to kiting enjoyment is getting info from respectable sources and, more importantly, thinking things through. You can save lots of money letting others make the mistakes.

Once you are hooked, you could make some of the money back by opening a kiteboarding "Rehab" center for all of us addicts. It would be great! You could help us re-unite with our family's and friends through a well thought out 12 step process to end the addiction. - don't count on me being a customer as I am too far gone.

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Apr 24, 15 3:30 pm     Reply with quote

IMO skip the trainer kite and go for lessons right off. Learn the wind window. Get a 140 or 142cm board and a 11 or 12m kite afterwards to start. Get a motivated, experienced instructor. Learn at Floras lake or OBX. The spit is a shitshow, but if that's all you got... Very gusty spot to learn.

inferno493

Since 16 Apr 2015
26 Posts

PostSat Apr 25, 15 2:48 pm     Reply with quote

Just wanted to say again how much I appreciate all the information. I already have the trainer so that's a moot point. I'll be looking for some lessons soon and hopefully be well on my way into the throes of a deep and unhealthy obsession shortly.

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostSun Apr 26, 15 8:46 am     Reply with quote

Get your harness now. Figure out a way to fly your trainer hooked into the harness
(Different bar, find an old one at 2nd Windwith a chicken loop.
Mod it for two line flying. More big kite feel, trains you to not death grip the bar when the kite powers up.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Apr 26, 15 9:04 am     Reply with quote

HRnico wrote:
Get your harness now. Figure out a way to fly your trainer hooked into the harness

If you're near Tacoma... I have a donation perfectly good 2008 Mystic Warrior waist harness. Comes with free Naish Kite leash. This offer is only for the OP.
PM me.
Kip Wylie

drtaamc

Since 24 Jul 2008
118 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Apr 28, 15 10:09 am     Reply with quote

No Smile

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 29, 15 5:51 am     Reply with quote

drtaamc wrote:
No Smile

Good One. And it was truly my first thought on this subject. The very first question I constantly get asked while kiteboarding in Mexico is "How much does it cost?" not "Is it fun?", "Is it difficult?"
Kiteboarding is one more thing in life that falls under: If you have to ask, then it's not for you

In windsurfing 25 years ago it was always: How to make a windsurfer? Dump a bucket of water on him/her and take his/her wallet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: