Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Strapless alternatives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
luke

Since 06 Jul 2005
399 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 14, 15 10:03 am    Strapless alternatives Reply with quote

Hey I am looking for some strapless advice.

I am having built a new custom kite surf board and wondering which pads to put on it.

This board will be primarily for strapless airs (or at least attempting tricks) and also used for some wave riding.

From what I can gather, the best guys doing big strapless airs are using alternatives to keep the board attached to their feet. Most are using glue while others are using velcro.

The glue type wax is easy to use but can be very messy. I witnessed someone using the glue after they had done a self-rescue. It looked like they had been tarred and feathered, including their bar, lines, and kite.

The velcro does not wear off during the session like glue and it is not messy but, requires the use of booties year-round.

What other pros and cons to these methods have you seen or experienced?

Technique is still important, but has anyone heard of other alternatives?

Thanks.

ericvs

Since 05 Jul 2008
133 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Apr 14, 15 11:15 am    Re: Strapless alternatives Reply with quote

luke wrote:
From what I can gather... most are using glue while others are using velcro.

wut?

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostTue Apr 14, 15 12:18 pm     Reply with quote

I've been really happy with using sticky bumps punt wax rubbed directly on the traction pad that comes with cabrinha boards.

The wax gets down into the pad so it tends to stay in place vs when you rub it on a board without a pad. Its still a little messy but a little citrus based wax remover cleans up any mess pretty quickly.

Matt E.

Since 22 May 2008
318 Posts
West Coast Sales Rep
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 14, 15 7:25 pm     Reply with quote

Most of us are using horse sperm mixed with surf wax for doing big airs. It is the perfect amount of stickiness and can be found anywhere there are horses. Zebra sperm is the best though, but it can be harder to find.

TheKerrKid

Since 02 Jul 2009
226 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Apr 14, 15 7:43 pm     Reply with quote

you can see matt E using the wax/zebra sperm combo in this video. As you can see the benefits are quite large.

https://vimeo.com/98834602

R.I.P. Jeff Young

DROCK999

Since 31 May 2007
852 Posts
Left Coast
Opinionated

PostTue Apr 14, 15 10:33 pm     Reply with quote

does the type of sperm matter? what about goat sperm? or elephant sperm?

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostThu Apr 16, 15 6:31 am    Re: Strapless alternatives Reply with quote

luke wrote:
Hey I am looking for some strapless advice.

I am having built a new custom kite surf board and wondering which pads to put on it.

Most are using glue while others are using velcro.

What other pros and cons to these methods have you seen or experienced?

Technique is still important, but has anyone heard of other alternatives?

Thanks.

I prefer magnets. The steel plate in the pads makes your board a little heavy, but it totally eliminates heel dents.

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostThu Apr 16, 15 10:15 am     Reply with quote

Yes magnets work the best by far. I use an alloy that is the same stuff they use in windmills and it's super light. Then I line my boots with a brass foot sole. Super sticky.

Surfwind

Since 24 Jul 2013
63 Posts

PostThu Apr 16, 15 10:37 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes magnets work the best by far. I use an alloy that is the same stuff they use in windmills and it's super light. Then I line my boots with a brass foot sole. Super sticky.

...... Face.... Palm..... Shakes head.

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostThu Apr 16, 15 1:51 pm     Reply with quote

Just teasin dude. The only way to do strapless airs is to go fast and send it. No one uses glue or velcro or anything else except some good old surf wax. If they do than they're a kook. Monkey wax is the best. Get some speed, nut up, and yank on the bar.

Da Yoda

Since 12 Mar 2009
79 Posts

PostFri Apr 17, 15 5:22 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
From what I can gather, the best guys doing big strapless airs are using alternatives to keep the board attached to their feet. Most are using glue while others are using velcro.

Back in my days of skimboarding there used to be this product called Sector Deck. It was a velcro boot&pad combo. Here's a vid showing it off...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyEcJ0jhE_I

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostFri Apr 17, 15 9:13 pm     Reply with quote

Ken, just keep the bottom of the board facing into the wind.

Punt wax plus booties helps me cheat a little to get extra traction.

Find a piece of chop, bring your kite up to noon pop and keep your kite pointing the direction you're moving. If you sent it too far you'll get pulled off your board. It helps and looks cool if you kick your back leg up and out and push against the wind during the jump.

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostSat Apr 18, 15 9:13 am    Ambergris Reply with quote

This young man uses a combination of Ambergris and Telepathy.

http://kiteworldmag.com/video/emmet-sproul-strapless-in-maui/

The Telepathy is acquired with much practice at a very young age. It starts with long hours of sleep developing lucid dreaming techniques. A great example of this particular type of telepathy used with non human entities can be seen in the Don Johnson movie, A Boy and His Dog. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072730/

The Ambergris must be harvested from a living sperm whale. In this case the rider shown here harvested the fresh ambergris from a young sperm whale that was ailing and actively being eaten by a tribe of Tiger Sharks off of Olowau at the 135' drop off. The harvest was completed without the use of tanks or malasadas.

The combination of Ambergris and Telepathy is a closely guarded secret. When mixed and applied correctly if forms an unbreakable bond.

OR, you can do it how the people who are actually good at it do it, and use NOTHNG. Shocked

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostSun Jul 12, 15 8:17 am     Reply with quote

cpc219 wrote:

Look for this on kickstarter soon. Wink

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2389442&p=893911

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: