Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

American Airlines now charging for golf bags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
marina

Since 16 Jan 2006
150 Posts
California coast
Stoked

PostMon Jan 08, 07 12:46 pm    American Airlines now charging for golf bags Reply with quote

hi all,
Just checked with American and they are now charging $45 each way for golf bags (international). Not sure about domestic. Thought Id share the news.

Marina
The Kiteboarder Magazine
Asnews.net podcasts

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Jan 08, 07 2:14 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the head's up Marina - I figured the loop holes would close up as the "golf" bags were starting to get bigger and bigger. Wink At least $45 is reasonable!

DrScoles

Since 13 Nov 2006
25 Posts
Sammamish, WA

PostMon Jan 08, 07 10:06 pm     Reply with quote

I made it both ways to cozumel on continental with zero fees Very Happy Using the big BEST kite bag...the golf trick worked.. HOWEVER>>> they made me get it under 50 pounds, or they wouldn't take it!!! 3 kites and one board with nothing else, was under 50. Chick at counter said there was a "baggage embargo", never heard of that.

Mike

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jan 09, 07 8:35 am     Reply with quote

I think that oversized best bag was kind of a bad idea (I even told them so on their forums.) Weight is always the biggest factor, not how much gear you can fit in the bag. Other than the extra weight issue, it looks like a pretty cool bag. I'd probably stick with the standard model though.

Anyway hopefully the other airlines don't follow American on the whole golf bag rule (though at least its nice to see them stop playing favorites sports wise.)

marina

Since 16 Jan 2006
150 Posts
California coast
Stoked

PostTue Jan 09, 07 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

well I posted this thread on a number of forums and have gotten mixed responses from travelers. The info I got was directly from an AA int'l ticket agent but seems as if enforcement or even company-wide knowledge of the new fee is basically non-existent.

Good luck with travels for 2007!

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jan 09, 07 2:41 pm     Reply with quote

Traveled to Holbox/Cozumel on Alaska Airlines with the NSI Golf bag this past December. No Problema. After getting burned more than once with the 50lb rule, I weigh my bags several times before travel. On my return the bag went to 58lbs so I just grabbed some stuff out and moved it to a different bag at the check-in. Size Doesn't Matter as long as it's for golf.

carolb

Since 04 Nov 2006
590 Posts
Stevenson, WA in the summer, SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostWed Jan 10, 07 8:18 am     Reply with quote

We just got back from SPI traveling on Southwest Airlines to Harlengen, TX. Southwest is 3 bags per persons and both BEST (old and new) weighed for under 50 lbs. 3 bags each was awesome but needed a mini van to move it once we got off the plane. Their mid week internet special is $125 each way too! No pets however.

purdyd

Since 27 Nov 2006
41 Posts

PostTue Jan 16, 07 12:36 pm     Reply with quote

i have an update on this from a trip to Cabo San Lucas

yes, AA does charge for golf clubs $45 as of January 9.

we got the check in agent from hell and then the supervisor and i stepped behind the counter and sure enough - golf clubs $45 along with ski eqiupment

these items are still free on AA domestic flights as far as i know and I am not sure if they apply to all international flights

this is not general knowledge among the people checking you in

so my friends who checked in later with two large NSI golf bags and even a 5'6" surfboard got charged nothing

and we paid nothing on our return trip

David

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: