Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Turks and Caicos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Apr 03, 15 5:12 am    Turks and Caicos Reply with quote

This place rocks. I'm 220, been on my 11, 14 and 17, kiting 7/7. Best kite trip I've ever had. Did downwinder from longs bay down to Buggaloos for some dinner.
Staying right on beach on longs bay.

image.jpg 

muthergoose

Since 14 Oct 2013
169 Posts
East Couve
Stoked

PostFri Apr 03, 15 9:44 am     Reply with quote

looks incredible. it looks pretty flat, are there alot of flat water spots?

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 03, 15 10:16 am    dam Reply with quote

FOCK THAT LOOKS TURQUOISE AND DELICIOUS!!!! SO I GET THE TURQS, BUT WHAT THE HEKK IS A CAIKO????

soona

Since 27 Sep 2009
72 Posts

PostFri Apr 03, 15 3:50 pm     Reply with quote

We went there last year and it is beautiful, indeed. And yes, totally flat.

The bay is shallow so my girlfriend was interested in it as a learner's place, like SPI, where you can always touch bottom. You can walk out super far, depending on the tide - and beginners need to because it is onshore wind and they might be heading back to shore . . .

We had iffy 14m - 17m conditions but the regulars said it's usually better (don't they always?) . . . I think they also said when it's blowing like normal, it's more side-on. Or at least onshore with a slight side cant. As it was, everyone was reaching back and forth parallel to shore.

We rented a nice clean house a few blocks from the beach that gives you a golf cart to get back and forth. Very cool. It's next to another, larger, rental house and they share a pool, from which, if you stand on the wall, you can see if kites are in the air at the beach. Reasonable price for the rental and very nice kite-neighbors sharing the pool with us (they got their own golf cart too).

Beware - Turks and Caicos (TCI) is very expensive - even by Caribbean standards. This ain't Baja!

We really didn't get that much kiting in but the scuba diving is amazing! There's a 6,000' wall with hammerheads and other sharks and pelagics cruising along. There are ultra-luxe resorts on the other (north) shore, which is like 5 mins away on this skinny island, which are nice for a fancy cocktail with the one-percenters before we'd go back to margaritaville on the windy side.

Bill C

Since 15 Sep 2005
202 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostFri Apr 03, 15 6:57 pm     Reply with quote

Just got back from Nassau, Bahamas and the whole region has amazingly turquois water. Had to Google to understand why.

cosmodog

Since 06 Oct 2005
201 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Apr 03, 15 7:16 pm     Reply with quote

Went to Turks a couple of years ago - beautiful place with plenty of flat water and some waves on the reef when the wind direction is right. Here's some pics from the my kite:

379269_10151361922748075_456510776_n.jpg 
   548853_10151370354328075_600091703_n.jpg 
   64402_10151361923063075_960036195_n.jpg 

soona

Since 27 Sep 2009
72 Posts

PostMon Apr 06, 15 10:28 pm     Reply with quote

Here's the place we stayed with the golf carts . . .

tci.jpg 

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Apr 07, 15 7:28 am    Turks Reply with quote

Beautiful spot. We went there last year and did not get very lucky wind wise - but I think it is generally windy in the 15 to 20 Mph range, with flat water.

It is expensive. The "cheap" beer is $12 a six pack.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 07, 15 10:29 am    Re: Turks Reply with quote

kwalshpc wrote:

It is expensive. The "cheap" beer is $12 a six pack.

I'm out.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 08, 15 7:20 am     Reply with quote

soona wrote:
We went there last year and it is beautiful, indeed. And yes, totally flat.

The bay is shallow so my girlfriend was interested in it as a learner's place, like SPI, where you can always touch bottom. You can walk out super far, depending on the tide - and beginners need to because it is onshore wind and they might be heading back to shore . . .

We had iffy 14m - 17m conditions but the regulars said it's usually better (don't they always?) . . . I think they also said when it's blowing like normal, it's more side-on. Or at least onshore with a slight side cant. As it was, everyone was reaching back and forth parallel to shore.

We rented a nice clean house a few blocks from the beach that gives you a golf cart to get back and forth. Very cool. It's next to another, larger, rental house and they share a pool, from which, if you stand on the wall, you can see if kites are in the air at the beach. Reasonable price for the rental and very nice kite-neighbors sharing the pool with us (they got their own golf cart too).

Beware - Turks and Caicos (TCI) is very expensive - even by Caribbean standards. This ain't Baja!

We really didn't get that much kiting in but the scuba diving is amazing! There's a 6,000' wall with hammerheads and other sharks and pelagics cruising along. There are ultra-luxe resorts on the other (north) shore, which is like 5 mins away on this skinny island, which are nice for a fancy cocktail with the one-percenters before we'd go back to margaritaville on the windy side.

hey Soona, I have made up my mind that I want to go to Turcs this winter. Can you share where you stayed? cheers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: