Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kite sizes for SPI?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Bear

Since 16 Feb 2013
33 Posts
Tacoma

PostThu Apr 02, 15 7:53 am    Kite sizes for SPI? Reply with quote

My GF and I are thinking about a trip to South Padre Island in May. My kite sizes are 8m,10m,12m & 14m. At 190 lbs what would be the 2 most useful kites for me to bring?
Thanks,
Rob

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Apr 02, 15 8:15 am     Reply with quote

Sorry... But if you're shelling out the $ to go, pay an extra $35 and bring them all. I'm #175 and seem to be on a 12 the most but have even pulled out the 6 a couple times. Have fun!

DownStream

Since 18 Apr 2007
381 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Apr 02, 15 5:52 pm     Reply with quote

10 and 14 will cover a lot of ground for you

8 and 12 for her probably

www.ProKiteLessons.com
info@prokitesouthpadre.com

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Apr 02, 15 6:13 pm     Reply with quote

Bring them all!!!

Most days you will be on your larger kites, but on those few Northly 40 mph days, the last place you want to be is on the beach listening to everybody else talking about the epic downwinder they just had.... That you missed because you didn't bring your small kite.

If you have an ikitesurf account check out:

http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwhere.iws?siteID=5912&archiveMonth=5&archiveYear=2014&archiveSearch=Go&Isection=Wind+Archive&regionID=117&geographicalAreaID=0

It will provide you an overview of what happend for the month of May last year.

*** edited 1 time to reflect the month of May instead of April ***

Bear

Since 16 Feb 2013
33 Posts
Tacoma

PostThu Apr 02, 15 6:23 pm     Reply with quote

Downstream, my GF has an 9m & 11m so I'm thinking her 9 & 11 and my 12 & 14. How does that sound? We can swap as she usually rides smaller than me.

Bear

Since 16 Feb 2013
33 Posts
Tacoma

PostThu Apr 02, 15 6:25 pm     Reply with quote

Bring them all seems to be the consensus. Definitely don't want to miss any days because of not having a small enough kite.

spikite

Since 08 Sep 2012
181 Posts
South Padre Island
Stoked

PostMon Apr 06, 15 7:44 pm     Reply with quote

Yep, bring em if you got em. 9's 10's and 12's seem to the most used in the last couple of weeks with a couple of 14m day's in the mix.

http://spikiteboarding.com

(956) 772-1098

aksurfer

Since 30 Aug 2010
90 Posts
Anchorage, AK

PostTue Apr 07, 15 12:29 pm     Reply with quote

Only been there three times but definitely bring a small kite, you never know. 8,10,12,14,17 and you won't miss any sessions. I'm an above average wave rider and I've been fully lit on my depowered 8 during a northerly.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 08, 15 8:30 am     Reply with quote

This is a bit off topic, so hopefully it's not too much of an intrusion. Other than warmer climes, why does it seem everyone flocks to SPI as opposed to Laguna Madre (Corpus Christi Bay) or Padre Island (NPI)? I recall sailboarding out of Cole Park (Corpus) back in '93 and it was great (although I couldn't understand why everyone had water bottles attached to their booms...until I was what seemed like miles out with a tongue that felt as huge as a football). Anyway, even in the heat of Summer, I recall good side-on winds and amazingly few people on the water. Not exactly a resort atmosphere in Corpus, and flat water, but good waves over at Aransass Pass if needed (and tar balls between your toes). Anyway, just curious. As I start to figure out this kiteboard thing, I've been thinking a trip back to Cole Park (knock out some long overdue fam visits) might be in order.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostWed Apr 08, 15 3:39 pm     Reply with quote

The whole stretch from Galveston to South Padre is good kiting. October and November when I become homeless, and it is MUCH cooler (and Alaska Air is offering cheap tickets) I fly in to DFW rent an Xterra type vehicle and car camp the coast chasing wind.

Galveston has Gulf-side waves and further in towards Texas City you get some nice flat water action with tons of riding options. The gulf coast from there to Corpus is great side on wave action. In corpus you have the whole beach for both flat water and waves at Port Aransas (wind direction dependent on flat or wave riding) Inside the bay has quite a few spots and just as many secret spots.

SPI... well there are more spots there than you can kite in a day. If there is wind in Texas you can't go wrong wherever you end up. AND if I may add... I have never found it crowded. again though It’s off season when I head there.

Texas Kiteboarding!
 Texas Kiteboarding!  20131102_143202.jpg 

www.freeridekiting.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: