Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Noob Kid Tips -Feet Into The Straps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 01, 15 9:13 am    Noob Kid Tips -Feet Into The Straps Reply with quote

Howdy. Looking for some tips to get my kid into his straps. We've got the 12 o clock, rear hand on bar, rear foot first thing figured out, but he's not having any luck getting into his board straps (waterstart). He's a slim kid (now 12yo and maybe 100# soaking wet). Due to harness, wetsuit, impact, etc., he can't seem to hold onto the grab handle and bend enough to get into the straps (if you can visualize that -board flips upside down every time). The kid is a wakeboarding fool, so the waterstart position is not completely foreign to him. I've looked at every video I could lay eyes on and had him watch kiter after kiter waterstart in LV last week, but to no avail. My guess is it will come in time, but if anyone can think of a trick/tip to speed that along, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 01, 15 9:35 am     Reply with quote

I remember learning with a seat harness that made it hard to curl up and reach the board handle. It was easier to have the kite down on the water sitting on the edge of the window and let go of the bar and use both hands to put the straps on. Some kites are so stable you can let go of the bar at 12 o'clock and they'll just stay there too.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 01, 15 9:37 am     Reply with quote

Maybe have hine try grabbing the upwind foot strap to grab instead of the grab handle. My boards don't have a grab handle so I have to do this. It's less of a angle and less cramped than trying to grab the handle. Start putting your back foot in at the same time as grabbing the upwind strap with your hand and then you can transition from that to puttin your upwind foot in!! Just an idea as I don't have the luxury of grab handles !!

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 01, 15 9:59 am     Reply with quote

I just love this site. Always helpful. Thanks folks. We tried the kite in the water trick too as it was a bit much for him to mind his kite and fight with the board. I definitely think that's the route to go (he is using a Z kite, and I think one could relaunch that thing if it was submerged, buried under rocks and tangled up with a fishing net). Also, holding onto the front foot strap is a great idea. Hadn't thought of that. Makes sense. Thanks! I'll have him give that a whirl in the living room tonight. If it's funny watching him flop around the living room, I'll take a video. Thanks again!

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 01, 15 10:07 am     Reply with quote

Have him practice without the kite.... just floating in the water.
If he's right handed try the following.
Hold the board with his right hand.
Push it out to the left.
Put his left foot in first.
Pull the board back to center.
He should now be able to put his right foot in.

Then introduce the kite into the equation.
Forget about upwind, downwind.
Always hold the kite with his left hand and handle the board with his dominant hand (right).

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 01, 15 10:16 am     Reply with quote

That's completely opposite of what we were doing, and failing at. Thus, it's definitely worth a shot. Thanks.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Apr 01, 15 10:46 am     Reply with quote

If you're in shallow water you could try sinking the board to the bottom and then you just enter the straps standing, this allows you to get your feet deeper into the straps for better hold and then just sit in the water so that the board (with your feet in the straps) resurfaces before the start that's what I usually do.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 01, 15 11:37 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Voy. He managed that last fall at the sand bar and I suspect he'll try doing that again once the water warms enough this Spring. However, at LV, he had to drag out a bit into deeper water due to some rocks/reef and got no board love as a result. Ultimately, we're hoping to get our collective crap together enough this year so we can eventually start frequenting my old sailboarding haunt (Rufus) as it's closer (after work sessions). But we're going to have to have those waterstarts dialed so they are automatic before we even think about heading to the rocks.

muthergoose

Since 14 Oct 2013
169 Posts
East Couve
Stoked

PostWed Apr 01, 15 2:15 pm     Reply with quote

Wait, straps??? I thought we decided on this forum that strapless twin tip riding is the way to go?

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostWed Apr 01, 15 4:11 pm     Reply with quote

If all else fails - you could try my home made "Go-Joe". It is an wheel barrow inner tube with stylin duct tape to make it tall. Just grab the inner tube and you barely even have to bend over to get your feet in the straps ............. Wink

Untitled.jpg 

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 01, 15 4:43 pm     Reply with quote

Holy crap, that looks like a giant dinosaur turd! Just joking of course. A rather ingenious home brew Go Joe. I like it.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostThu Apr 02, 15 4:50 pm     Reply with quote

Try having him try on dry land. Just like most things in this sport, it's about muscle memory. Once he figures out he can do it on dry land, he'll most likely be able to do it in the water.
You can also put a handle in his hands and pull tension on the lines while he sits in the grass simulating what he should do in the water. Then pull extra hard when he has both feet in and make him point the board toward the kite like he should do in the water.
I hope that helps. The water is real cold still so be patient with your season.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 03, 15 8:04 am     Reply with quote

I'd like to once again thank everyone that responded here or sent me a PM. A ton of great advice. Thank you. Feel free to stop by the stupidly huge Okanagan truck camper this Summer at the Event Site for a beer of thanks. Easy to spot us.
Last edited by deminimis on Wed Apr 08, 15 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Weaz

Since 23 May 2012
360 Posts
Beaverton
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 03, 15 8:25 am     Reply with quote

I learned getting one foot in good then using the one foot to control the board while I get the other foot into the strap and wiggle it up so it's semi snug worked the best for the not so flexible me.

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 08, 15 8:05 am    Wake boarding Reply with quote

Try going wake boarding. That helped my son. That being said, try a wake skate. Foot straps are over rated and not necessary if you are not jumping. I teach people to wake board on a wake skate. Foot straps give them false confidence and are just in the way.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 08, 15 8:15 am     Reply with quote

Thanks. He's been wakeboarding behind our WB boat since he was 7. Here he is screwing around when 9 or 10 (can't recall for sure...getting old I guess). However, I do plan on having him get up on his kiteboard behind the boat if things fail to progress. He's been practicing getting into his straps in the living room. I think he'll get it dialed in short order once the water warms. I can't freakin' wait for warmer water! Thanks again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: