Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Long Beach, WA - Waking this place up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
CrazyHerb

Since 04 Oct 2008
79 Posts
Ilwaco, WA

PostWed Mar 25, 15 11:04 pm    Long Beach, WA - Waking this place up? Reply with quote

Hey everyone...if you make it out to the coast, and decide to cross that big green bridge in Astoria and come a few miles North...shoot me a PM if your around. Also, stop on by World Kite Museum in Long Beach and say Hi to Holli (the new director) while your here....she's been excited and extremely supportive to bring more kite surfing/boarding/buggying to the area in hopes of the WA Parks approval to lift the ban on wind powered vehicles on the beach. (Fingers Crossed) I'm in regular contact with her, and she'd love to see more kite surfers here too...especially since the WA ban doesn't effect "water" activities.

http://tdn.com/lifestyles/world-kite-museum-director-brings-updates-to-museum-festival/article_24d4e614-d343-11e4-82c9-5370e19411b0.html

This could be a sign of great things to come...
Rock on!!

Steve

rockinbach

Since 11 Apr 2010
49 Posts
Vancouver, WA

PostThu Mar 26, 15 7:09 am     Reply with quote

Where are some spots for intermediate level riders on Long Beach?

CrazyHerb

Since 04 Oct 2008
79 Posts
Ilwaco, WA

PostThu Mar 26, 15 10:33 am    MAP Reply with quote

rockinbach wrote:
Where are some spots for intermediate level riders on Long Beach?

I've attached the WPV proposed map...
My preferred launch for downwinder is Cranberry to Seaview..
If your just wanting to "kook-around" anywhere just North of Bolstad down to Seaview is fun...(works on SW/NW/W days)

Keep in mind there's, no vehicle traffic from 15 Apr - Labor day between Bolstad-Seaview approach but anything North from Bolstad or South from Seaview to Beards Hollow is drive-able (aside from State Park)

I'd avoid getting too close to Beards Hollow (South end)...rocks, jetty and some goofy currents down that way...Summer brings a little South-flowing current, so you may want to coordinate shuttle or might have to walk a bit back to your vehicle.

http://www.parks.wa.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/5355

I'm still working on getting comfortable in the waves, so I'm not the "expert" around here yet...but will keep NWKITE informed as best I can. I expect to pop over to Sunset/Shipwreck a few times this Summer to get a good comparison as I often as I can.

Some others on here may be able to chime in with better knowledge as well. I've ran into a couple people last year or two (prior to me getting on the water)..and they all left with the typical post-kite stoke face/smile that we get.

FunBeach has some decent web cams for a peek before you drive out too -
https://funbeach.com/explore/web-cams/
http://www.skookumsurf.com/explore/

See ya out there!
Kite on!
Steve[url][/url]

Marcp

Since 24 May 2010
32 Posts

PostThu Mar 26, 15 11:11 am    Long Beach Reply with quote

I have a house in Long Beach and been down there for 20+ years. Never seen anyone in the water. I usually drive to Shipwrecks for the epic down-winders. I'll ping you this summer, in order to personally break in the spot and avoid the hour round trip drive.

There have been many drownings at Long Beach due to the famous rips and undertows. Assuming these people who have drowned did not have a wetsuit or board.

On the other side of the Beards Hollow is a beach that starts at the lighthouse and ends at the south jetty called Deadmans Hollow. Those waves look very clean and the beach from the lighthouse point of view looks much more inviting. Not sure about the wind, and it requires a very long walk. See pic attached.

Lastly- curious if the Kite Museum would be interested in hanging a 6m kite on their walls. If so, I can find an older kite to donate this summer.[img]

deadmans hollow.png 

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostThu Mar 26, 15 2:46 pm     Reply with quote

This last December I got in two storm sessions right in front of the Adrift hotel ( killer place by the way). I had a really tough time holding my ground even though i was lit on my 13. (Side-on shore SW) I wondered if it was because there is a strong current , but I don't understand much about currents near ocean shores. Will definitely return!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: