Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Cali central coast spots?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Mar 18, 15 1:46 pm    Cali central coast spots? Reply with quote

I'm heading to the Morro Bay area next week. If it blows, where would you go kite with the family in tow? Also, what wind meters/forecast would you check to see if it's on? Cheers!

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostWed Mar 18, 15 2:43 pm     Reply with quote

I was down there last spring break with my family and should have brought my gear as it was pretty windy from San Simeon to LA. Pismo Beach is a kite center but ikitesurf shows a few free sensors at Morro bay too. Kids loved the thousands of Elephant Seals all over the beaches up at San Simeon and Hearst Castle too. Book tickets online for the castle the day before if you want to be sure its not sold out.

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
881 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostWed Mar 18, 15 9:18 pm     Reply with quote

From Morro Bay to Cayucos there are several beachbreaks where NW wind blows side onshore. Used to live down there during the windsurfing era (The 80's) and Springtime can be windy for weeks on end. I remember one May where I sailed every day of the month in solid 20 knots plus. If you are there for any length of time, you will collect the goods.

Smile

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Mar 19, 15 10:36 am     Reply with quote

Pismo is fantastic this time of year, with 7-9m thermals kicking in during the early afternoon. I highly recommend it.

lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostThu Mar 19, 15 1:28 pm     Reply with quote

Jalama is awesome, but remote. I would not kite there alone.

Locke

Since 16 May 2012
19 Posts
The State of Jefferson

PostFri Mar 20, 15 12:42 pm     Reply with quote

Try Cayucos, it hooks around so north wind blows side off; you can do a pretty good downwinder to the Rock (be aware though that the swell gets much bigger as you head south). There is also a big hole in the wind as you approach rock due to some lift effect; best bet is to land at the RV campground just north. Beach to launch from used to be called Old Creek but now I think it is signed as Morro Strand. Look for the parking area right on the sand and you're golden. Watch out for snowy plovers as the Californians seem to worship them.

There are spots to kite up north but they are a lot rockier, kelpier, and sharkier due to the elephant seals and deep water.

Never bothered with Pismo; surf there is terrible.

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Mar 30, 15 8:55 am     Reply with quote

Thx for the beta. I ended up kiting Cayucos, Pismo and Waddell on the way there. Great sessions. It was windy 6/7 days. Definitely a little more localism than in the Northwest- but no flare ups. Just not the super friendly vibe you get up here. But the wave sessions at Waddell and Cayucos were tops! Cheers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: