Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

the new Hook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSat Mar 14, 15 9:18 pm    the new Hook Reply with quote

Anyone have info on the new ramp at the Hook? I see they included it with the construction of a new effluent pipe. The article says no kiteboarding, but I wonder if it would be possible to swim out to Wells on low water days or at least SUP gear over and launch on the North side of Wells. It was 15 years ago that I was last in the water at the Hook teaching someone to waterstart and I think the current was pretty light. Should be a great starting point for Windsurfers at least and maybe give more room to kites at the Event Site?

http://www.hoodrivernews.com/news/2015/feb/21/hook-project-provides-great-new-river-access/

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2060 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSun Mar 15, 15 10:08 am    GOOD Stuff! Reply with quote

Much needed and a great improvement. Thx for posting.

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
536 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Mar 16, 15 10:27 am     Reply with quote

windsurfers will probably buy the hook pretty soon anyway

Man, those guys are sure connected well

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostMon Mar 16, 15 10:43 am     Reply with quote

Yep. This is fantastic improvement which will greatly improve the access to Wells Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5XvSCCkT_o

Last edited by sromano1995 on Mon Mar 16, 15 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Mar 16, 15 11:03 am    Re: the new Hook Reply with quote

macgruber wrote:
but I wonder if it would be possible to swim out to Wells on low water days or at least SUP gear over and launch on the North side of Wells.

We've paddled over to it before using a small rubber raft. You can land in the little bay that is directly across from the Hook, then walk through a very short path to the west beach. Its nice; very doable launch at normal water levels. Just so you know, that area is hardly a "secret" spot any more. On a quieter day you can have it all to yourself, but peak season, there are a lot of lessons in the area, sometimes parked boats & jet skis. There's lots of room so its never really an issue, but it does get busy there, so if you're making a big effort to find a sweet spot of the river all to yourself, you might find you have more company than you'd like. I think its a great development for the windsurfers, especially the guys trying to learn waterstarts since the water in front of the Hook on the west end is waist deep.

Last edited by D-Krep It Kiter on Sun Mar 22, 15 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostMon Mar 16, 15 5:52 pm    sewage outflow pipe into the river? Reply with quote

Quote:
City of Hood River’s City of Hood River’s sewage outfall relocation project, which was originally planned for 2014-15 but has been delayed at least a year. That project will route the new sewage outflow pipe under the Hook road and into the river facing Wells Island.

Say what?! Do we have a sewage guru in the house who can assure me this is A-OK?

"Processed" sewage that has been rendered harmless to humans and wildlife - EPA-approved and so forth - right? Sure, of course it is ... what fool would ask such a question?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: