Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Cell-Phone Network Coverage Thread for 2015

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostSat Mar 14, 15 11:44 am    Cell-Phone Network Coverage Thread for 2015 Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a new cell phone since mine is dying and my contract with Sprint is expiring (yay). I'm probably going to get an unlocked phone so that I have no contract and can swap around between carriers, but many phones can only use GSM (T-Mobile and AT&T) or CDMA (Verizon and Sprint) and not both.

I've looked at the past few years of threads for cell network coverage, but I know that the networks have expanded data coverage considerably since 2012-2013.

SO... Could y'all post your experience at different launches with your current cell providers? I'm pretty confident Verizon is by far the best for overall coverage, but I'm curious as to who else might be "good enough" for my needs.

For example, Sprint network (using HTC ONE M7 phone):

Portland/I-5 Corridor:
-4g most areas of Vancouver/Portland and suburbs

East of PDX:
-3G most of the way to Hood River, very solid 3G in hood river
-Decent 3G from HR to the Dalles
-Good 3G in the Dalles
-Decent to weak 3G from the Dalles to Rufus
-Decent to weak Rufus to Three Mile
-Weak at Three Mile (but at times can get updates from Windalert)

West of PDX:
-Solid 3G until leaving Longview,WA and going up the hill on HWY 30 on the way to Astoria/Jones Beach
-Weak/Spotty 3G at Jones Beach (sometimes can get updates from WindAlert and post OSR on NWkite, sometimes not).
-Solid 3G until past Hillsboro on HWY 26, then its no data coverage until HWY 101 again

COAST:
-Weak 3G at Manzanita/Seaside (it gets better when standing on the beach in the open)
-Weak to decent at Ft. Stevens State Park (weakest at Lot D parking lot, better at the launch)
-Weak most of the way South past Manzanita
-Reliable/Decent 3G in Newport, Lincoln City
-Decent 3G immediately in small towns (Bandon, Coos Bay, Reedsport, Gold Beach)
-Weak at Floras Lake but enough for periodic WindAlert updates.

Mount Hood Meadows:
-Very strong 3G over most of the mountain (streams Pandora uninterrupted)

On the way up to Mt. St. Helens:
-Weak to No 3G once in the boonies outside of Woodland, almost no cell signal at the base areas (Ape Caves, Marble Mountain areas).

I know Verizon covers better than pretty much any other carrier, but I'm curious as to how T-Mobile and AT&T compare these days.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSat Mar 14, 15 2:12 pm     Reply with quote

I have Verizon and its coverage is much better than ATT and Tmobile which I had before. Verizon is so expensive that its been bleeding customers so they finally introduced a low cost brand called Total (like ATT has Cricket) which is 3g only for $35 for the first line, $25 for each line thereafter with 3 gigs of data I think. The downside is the 3g only requires you to have a phone incapable of 4g. It does have Verizon's excellent coverage though. Supposedly by next year 5g will start coming out, something like 100 times faster than 4g

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Mar 14, 15 2:21 pm     Reply with quote

ATT terrible in Hood River, almost as bad in NE Bay Area--North Oakland, Berkeley thru Richmond.

Avoid

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Mar 15, 15 9:01 am     Reply with quote

As far as phones:

i am not an Iphone guy, but I believe that an UNLOCKED Iphone 6 purchased directly from Apple will work with both CDMA carriers and GSM carriers. Pretty nice feature as it allows you to switch to most any carrier. Of course, it won't power a set of VR Goggles like the Note 4 will... Very Happy

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Mar 16, 15 6:28 am     Reply with quote

if you think ATT is horrible in HR, you didn't use T-Mobile there, no 3G even, the phone defaults to EDGE at which point even mail push stops working and loading google.com takes around 20 tries and 15 minutes. Calling still works but any online search is unusable, I just switched to ATT and it worked great for me at the Event Site, I did hear from T-Mobile rep that they'll be updating their infrastructure in the Gorge areas later this year.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostMon Mar 16, 15 6:43 am     Reply with quote

I have not experienced issues with AT&T in the Gorge. I'm not a fan of the price though. Irrigon to Manazanita and down to Floras works well enough for me.

The iPhones are not dual "network" compatible. What is touted (and often misunderstood) is that withing each network like GSM or CDMA are the number of bands they span - mostly helpful in international travel and rural areas.

www.freeridekiting.com

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Mar 16, 15 8:01 am     Reply with quote

ErraticAKn wrote:

The iPhones are not dual "network" compatible. What is touted (and often misunderstood) is that withing each network like GSM or CDMA are the number of bands they span - mostly helpful in international travel and rural areas.

The Unlocked Iphones are in fact Multi network. Not one you buy from a carrier, but the unlocked one you buy from Apple. From Apples website:
Quote:
The unlocked iPhone includes all the features of iPhone but without a wireless contract commitment or a carrier installment plan. You can activate and use the unlocked iPhone on the supported wireless network of your choice, such as AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, or Sprint in the United States.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostMon Mar 16, 15 8:25 am     Reply with quote

Yeah I'm pretty sure you choose the network type you want support for and buy the unlocked device supporting it. Although the GSM and CDMA share the same model number they are different phones and don't work on both networks - it's still one or the other I believe and and you have to choose the network.

Network Connectivity & Carrier Support Differences

Each iPhone 6 model supports 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, and specifically 802.11ac with speeds up to 433 Mbps, as well as Bluetooth 4.0 and GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz).

All other connectivity varies by model:
iPhone Model Model
No. UMTS/HSPA+
DC-HSDPA CDMA
EV-DO TD-SCDMA LTE Bands
(4G)
6 (GSM/North America) A1549 850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz None None 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29
6 (CDMA/Verizon) A1549 850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz 800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz None 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29
6 (Global/Sprint) A1586 850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz 800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz 1900 (F), 2000 (A) FDD-LTE (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29); TD-LTE (38, 39, 40, 41)
6 (China Mobile) A1589 850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz None 1900 (F), 2000 (A) FDD-LTE (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29); TD-LTE (38, 39, 40, 41)†

In the US, the GSM version of the A1549 iPhone 6 is sold unlocked and without a contract on T-Mobile and it does not support CDMA networks. Apple refers to this model as the "T-Mobile" iPhone 6. Starting on January 6, 2015, Apple also started selling an unlocked version of the A1586 "Global" iPhone 6 in the US, which Apple refers to as the "Unlocked" iPhone 6. Although Apple makes no mention of it, and it is bound by a two-year contract, the iPhone 6 is offered unlocked on Verizon, too.

The China Mobile version of the iPhone 6 supports the WCDMA variant of the UMTS standard on the same frequencies as the other models and the same FDD-LTE and TD-LTE bands as the "global" devices, but UMTS and FDD-LTE formally are "only for international roaming" rather than for use within mainland China.

For complete details regarding LTE support, it will be necessary to check with specific carrier(s) in a particular location.

www.freeridekiting.com

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostMon Mar 16, 15 8:35 am     Reply with quote

If it is so, Samsung better giddy up on that or I may switch back!

www.freeridekiting.com

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Mar 16, 15 9:58 am    secondary cell phone Reply with quote

What works for me:

I pick up a temporary "throw away phone" for cheap from Ebay and forward my normal cell phone to it when I kite. I carry it on the water with me. If it get's ruined, nothing lost. I use IP67 or IP68 rated phones. I put them in a plastic phone carrier. I do not need a big fancy screen as my normal phone does this for me. I just need a phone that I can talk/txt on.

I use verizon in the Gorge and AT&T in Mexico (requires different phones, be sure to purchase a phone for your carrier).

For Verizon I use PagePlus Cellular ( https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/ ) as it is very inexpensive. I use the $10 for 100 minutes plan (plan lasts 120 days).

For AT&T I recommend going into a store as they will sell you a card and set up your account for you. Ask for their prepaid GoPhone plan. I think it costs me .35cents / minute talk time and .25 cents for texts while I am in Mexico.

My job requires that I have a defined response time and this solution works well for me. Also, it's nice knowing that I have a cell phone in the event I get stuck in some remote place. A third benefit is I am utilizing multiple carriers (my regular phone is sprint), so my odds of getting cell service are increased.

Oh, I almost forgot. I also utilize Google Voice for all my phones such that all messages end up in my email as a last resort.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: