Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Welcome back Warden!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
CrazyHerb

Since 04 Oct 2008
79 Posts
Ilwaco, WA

PostFri Feb 27, 15 12:32 am    Welcome back Warden! Reply with quote

Respect to the king....but those pesky ANTS...and COWS....ugh..

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/shark-versus-cow-deadlier/story?id=24931705

Curious, if this impacts anyone's decision to hit the coast?

Would love to hear opinions on this..

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostFri Feb 27, 15 10:25 am     Reply with quote

As much as I would like to think this information has any value, it completely negates the number of people (sample size) that come in contact with cows, vs. how many people are in the ocean. I find it interesting how shark attacks are often compared to lighting strikes too.

The interesting thing is, ANYONE can be struck by lighting, and the entire population of the country (if we are comparing only the chances for Americans to be struck by lighting vs. attacked by a shark), could be hit by lightning. So, if there are 250,000,000 people in the country, and fifty people get hit by lighting every year, the chances of that happening are pretty low. If 100,000 people get in the ocean every year, and ten of them are bitten by sharks, the chances of being bitten by a shark are much greater relative to the sample size. Basic statistics that the media always seems to leave out. Of course, what fun would that be, and what story would there be to tell?!?

Bottom line, if you are swimming in the ocean, you have a much greater chance of being attacked by a shark, then hit by lighting. If you don't swim in the ocean, you have no chance of being bitten by a shark!

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Feb 27, 15 5:40 pm     Reply with quote

Cows scare the crap out of me!

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Feb 27, 15 7:05 pm     Reply with quote

I think we'll be seeing more and more big sharks like this since they are now a protected species.

It won't stop me from kiting, but I'll be thinking about it. Makes me want to surf less.

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostFri Feb 27, 15 9:53 pm     Reply with quote

Sharks are not the enemy!

37f1af.jpg 

CrazyHerb

Since 04 Oct 2008
79 Posts
Ilwaco, WA

PostSat Feb 28, 15 10:19 pm    Front Steps? Reply with quote

I'm calling that third step off my front deck "Shark" cause that ONE step I seem to keep missing...nearly killed me the other day...whoop...thump...tuck and roll......
Pop back up...look around....dust off...ok...all good...press on...

LOL

ecameron

Since 29 Jul 2009
90 Posts
PDX

PostSun Mar 01, 15 1:35 am     Reply with quote

Considering all the things to die from, seems like a fair price on the risk/reward scale. Seems a far cry better than "man/woman killed by reckless driving..." its almost as if youre lucky to even get the chance.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Mar 01, 15 6:58 am     Reply with quote

Pete wrote:

Bottom line, if you are swimming in the ocean, you have a much greater chance of being attacked by a shark, then hit by lighting. If you don't swim in the ocean, you have no chance of being bitten by a shark!

what if you swim in the ocean during a lighting storm?

CrazyHerb

Since 04 Oct 2008
79 Posts
Ilwaco, WA

PostSun Mar 01, 15 7:49 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
Pete wrote:

what if you swim in the ocean during a lighting storm?

DOH! Doesn't salt water conduct electricity too!!

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Mar 01, 15 7:56 pm     Reply with quote

I'm not sure lightening is the best comparison either as risk is not at all random. Lightening strikes are pretty rare in states like Oregon, much more common in places like Florida. And if you only go outside when it's sunny your risk of lightening strike is zero.

Clearly though swimming in shark infested waters in Florida during a lightening storm is very dangerous.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: