Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hello from Frisco, CO. !!!
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSat Feb 21, 15 9:33 am    Hello from Frisco, CO. !!! Reply with quote

Hello from Frisco, CO. !!!

Anyone fully familiar with CO snowkiting locations? Looking for drivable or snow shoe assessable.
Found Hoosier Pass as a great possibility

01.jpg 

airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostSun Feb 22, 15 7:40 pm    Yeah Reply with quote

Hit me up and I'll see if I can help 336~3548483

I'm in Durango, I know a bunch of kite sites down here and several around Leadville too.

Enjoy! Season just got a refresh...

rockinbach

Since 11 Apr 2010
49 Posts
Vancouver, WA

PostMon Feb 23, 15 5:31 pm     Reply with quote

How is the Dillon Reservoir? Since you're in Frisco, you must have tried that.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Feb 23, 15 6:17 pm     Reply with quote

Dillon Lake is great, but just flat and would like to snowkite now on hilly terrain. Did see Hoosier pass that looked great, but this weekend there was not enough snow on the hill. Hoosier looks like is very accessible by snow shoe and just a 30 minute walk.

jeffwestco

Since 21 Jan 2014
23 Posts

PostTue Feb 24, 15 5:53 am     Reply with quote

Hi Windski,

I live on the front range and my favorite nearby spot is Rabbit Ears - East summit. It has great snow conditions, wide open meadows with very cool rolling terrain. I too prefer terrain over flat lakes - and Rabbit Ears doesn't have the slide potential of the steeper pitches....and it is right off the road.

South though where airon is would be awesome!!! If it wasn't as far for me I'd be cruising that way.

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Feb 24, 15 9:16 am    Rabbit Ears Pass Reply with quote

I'll weigh in on Rabbit Ears. The best location is the east summit on the south side.

It needs to be SW to be good there - you can see it with the weather station on top of the Steamboat Ski Area.
Here is the link: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/weather/strm.html

I have heard of guys going toward Waldon - on 14 at the bottom of the east side - and kiting the field just after the turn - mile or 2 - on the west side of the road - look for the barn.

jeffwestco

Since 21 Jan 2014
23 Posts

PostTue Feb 24, 15 3:31 pm     Reply with quote

I've kited all three main Rbt Ears meadows (including the south side kwalshpc mentioned). I personally find the HUGE meadow 1.3 miles further west on the North side of the road is best (for me). It opens up immediately to the east a long way from the parking lot (for basically the 1.3 miles back to the east summit and it is quite big - big enough to avoid the wind shadowing / messy air from trees). Site is ideal in NW winds since they howl through unobstructed by trees...but I kite there anything SW to NW

There are some BLM pieces along 14 that I've kited but I will definitely have to check out the big field - thanks kwalshpc!

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Feb 25, 15 8:10 am     Reply with quote

The spot you mentioned does look good - especially for NW as the power lines are not in play at all from that direction. Do you hike a bit to launch SW?

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Feb 25, 15 8:10 am     Reply with quote

Rock On
Thanks !!

jeffwestco

Since 21 Jan 2014
23 Posts

PostThu Feb 26, 15 6:20 am     Reply with quote

From the parking lot I usually walk/snow shoe/ski (depending on snow firmness) sort of NE just about 200 feet to the last trees bordering the meadow. The power lines are 100% out of concern by then - since they follow HWY 40. Launching from there can require some patience since there will be some wind shadowing from the trees - and it is slightly downhill. I just kite a touch downwind and things pick up immensely. These days I just launch from here in any wind direction with a west component...ssw to nnw.

I've also setup straight perpendicular to the road and have kited straight north (up what is the forest road) and dropped into the meadow from above...(kind of following a common snow mobile tract) sort of depends on wind. This is easier on the front end but more challenging ending the day. Kiting up through the opening in the trees or back over the hill to the north is just wide enough to make tight tacks but I'd rather just walk the 200 or so feet back then stress it.

Had a great day there yesterday with two visiting kite buddies as a matter of fact! It is a great spot and probably don't have to mention but it is typically very gusty.

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Feb 27, 15 8:56 am     Reply with quote

Cool - Thanks for the info. Do you live in Stbt? I do. I have water kited a lot, haven't snow kited much - it is always competing with skiing for time and then I'm going alone. I'm off to La Ventana till the 3/10 - after that - hit me up and maybe we can get out - kenwalsh@resortbroadband.com
Thanks!

jeffwestco

Since 21 Jan 2014
23 Posts

PostWed Mar 04, 15 9:21 am     Reply with quote

Hi Ken,
I live in Westminster but make day trips (weekdays to avoid weekend I-70 pain Embarassed ) to the pass pretty often.

I kite alone quite a bit out of necessity including on Rabbit Ears. It is close enough to the road and even on weekdays there are plenty of usually very friendly snow mobilers around however. That said kiting with others is WAY more fun (and obviously safer).

I'll definitely shoot you an email! Would love to meet up sometime.

Jeff

Vladiator

Since 06 Jun 2009
252 Posts
Napels FL
Obsessed

PostWed Mar 04, 15 10:24 am     Reply with quote

Hey Jeff .I been looking for Peale to hit up rabbit s pass. I have snowmobile d there couple times last year.I been going to Dillon . Hit me up when you plan on going .
VLAD.

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostThu Mar 05, 15 6:55 am    Colorado Snowkite Reply with quote

Yep, Vail pass is good. Rabbit ears but it needs SW and that is not very common. The flat tops are good. Lemon in Durango. Creed is some of the best. Grand Mesa. Blue Mesa.
Twin lakes is stellar. Twin lakes has a local or two who think they own it but they don't ...
You can PM me for specific info.

We go to Lake Dillon often because its 3 miles form my house. Will be there today at about 12:45 South end.

A lot of people like the North end be we don't .
Not sayings its not good, lots of people love it.

jeffwestco

Since 21 Jan 2014
23 Posts

PostFri Mar 06, 15 1:39 pm     Reply with quote

1surfer - totally no disrespect intended but I don't know why you think Rabbit Ears needs SW....because in my experiences kiting there happily 15+ times it doesn't. It is a gusty spot in general and the rare SW I experienced there is no cleaner.

I'm just sort of burned out on frozen lakes and in my op Rabbit Ears is the best bet and it is the closest for me (door to pass in 2:15 vs way more for south)

Like I mentioned I kite Rbt Ears anything from SSW to NNW without any problem.

Vladiator - I'll totally hit you up next time I think I might be headed up there!!!

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostFri Mar 06, 15 1:42 pm    Wind Reply with quote

OK, I believe you.
One of my friends who loves it there told me to only bother on SW. Maybe I will try it on NW.

jeffwestco

Since 21 Jan 2014
23 Posts

PostFri Mar 06, 15 1:53 pm     Reply with quote

Dillon being a few minutes away from you I would see why it would have to be great to divert and go to Rbt. I go there for the rolling terrain, stronger winds and lots of snow

but yeah - totally kiteable in anything with a west component - which is most the time Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: