Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Belize info please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  

Since 22 May 2008
145 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

CGKA Member

PostMon Feb 16, 15 5:53 pm    Belize info please Reply with quote

Headed to Belize in a couple weeks for 12 days. Anyone have recommendations on places to see, stay, kite, etc.?

taycar

Since 11 Jan 2010
110 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostMon Feb 16, 15 7:11 pm     Reply with quote

I've been a few times to Caye Caulker. We stayed at Caye Caulker Condos both times. The kiting is right in front of the condos. There are places south on the island that are less expensive.

What part of Belize are you heading to?

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Feb 16, 15 7:26 pm     Reply with quote

Did you bring your boards with you or rent? If renting, from who?

Thanks
Anthony

taycar

Since 11 Jan 2010
110 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostMon Feb 16, 15 7:31 pm     Reply with quote

We brought two kite bags with a board and two kites in each bag. The flight from the states to Belize was fine with the large bags. The puddle jumper from Belize international to the Caye Caulker, the ground crew was not sure if the bags would fit under the plane. They made it work though and we were able to bring all our own gear.

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Feb 16, 15 9:26 pm     Reply with quote

You can also take the water taxi speedboats, room for gear and fun if not too crowded...

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Feb 17, 15 7:58 am     Reply with quote

Unless something has changed Caye Caulker only has one school/maybe shop. Rentals would be limited. I would bring y'all or your own equipment and a light wind board Kiting is decent enough, but not epic. I would also bring booties as it can be on shore and shallow near the main launch area. If you breakdown anywhere along the way the shoreline is not all that hospitable. I wore my booties for launching and landing then strapped them to the back of my harness and it was fine.

Although i did not do it i am told you can easily water taxi to different caye and then kite between them. Or hire a boat to follow you around.

Jimbo

Since 16 Jul 2009
58 Posts
Seattle

PostThu Feb 19, 15 11:27 am     Reply with quote

If you are going to Belize only to kite then I would say that it isn't your best choice for a kiting only trip. However if you are going to also go fishing, SCUBA, snorkeling, bird watching etc...Then Belize is pretty cool and you can get some kiting in. I've been twice and all over the country. I've kited off of Ambergris Caye (San Pedro town) and I know that Caye Caulker is kind of the kite spot. It is not crazy strong wind. You will likely be on a 12 or 14 for the days you kite. It was in Belize that I first saw kiting back in 2004.

Snorkeling and SCUBA are off the hook there. If you are a certified diver then check out the Blue Hole, which Jacques Cousteau considered his favorite spot. I got to do a 4 day sailing trip through the Turneffe Islands on La Gaviota http://ambergriscaye.com/lagaviota/ and we had entire city block sized reefs to ourselves and we saw every kind of fish on the little identification guide. We were spoiled and had I been a better kiter at the time I would have kited out there too.

We went inland to San Ignacio and stayed at a place called Black Rock Lodge. This did not involve kiting but it is an eco-lodge way up in the mountains outside of town overlooking a canyon. The wildlife, hiking, bird-watching and natural environment still remain the most wild natural experience I've ever had. I highly recommend it. At night the frogs would come out. We'd walk down the path to the Common house for dinner and there would be thousands of frogs jumping out of our way. We saw a multitude of tropical birds including Aracari and Toucans, it was a year of a Cicada hatch so that added to the mystique too. Amazing.

Belize was neat but I wouldn't necessarily go there to kite. Feel free to PM me for more info.

Be Stoked!!!

MEwing5000

Since 14 Nov 2005
34 Posts
Seattle

PostSat Feb 21, 15 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

I agree with Jimbo its lighter wind but I'd say with a little luck you'll do better than he suggests. My wife and I have been going for 8 years. Every year is a little different some years were begging the wind to stop so we can do other stuff and some years it's 50%. Not too many strong days mostly light and steady (13-19) which I prefer.

We'll be in San Pedro till mid April if your around.

http://youtu.be/PdiULWQCCok

AKkiter

Since 31 Aug 2008
181 Posts
Montavilla
Stoked

PostSun Feb 22, 15 10:52 am     Reply with quote

I agree with the previous comments- Caye Caulker is an amazing narrow island that is a great experience in and of itself. We went there in December some years back and the wind was pretty good and steady. The kiting was good, the water beautiful. If I were to go back I would definately hire a boat and do some crossings from Caye to Caye.

On that same trip we went to Tulum, Mexico but the wind was too light to kite. Thats a pretty cool spot too. A little touristy, but fun. With good wind I bet that place can be fun.

Anybody have any good Tulum kiting stories?

FYI- Everything is a bus ride away- we bussed it from MX to Belize and then did the puddlejumper flight to the Cayes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: