Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: Whister vs Mt Hood vs Revelstoke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Feb 06, 15 8:27 pm    OT: Whister vs Mt Hood vs Revelstoke Reply with quote

I'm loving the Whistler bike park, but I have yet to go there in the wintertime. My logic is: Whistler is too close to the ocean, so the snow will have a tendency to be like Mt Hood, so why bother with a winter visit when I have wet snow so close to home. So my question is, all things being the same, living in Hood River, would you rather hit Whistler or Revelstoke?

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Feb 06, 15 9:42 pm    Re: OT: Whister vs Mt Hood vs Revelstoke Reply with quote

flipper wrote:
I'm loving the Whistler bike park, but I have yet to go there in the wintertime. My logic is: Whistler is too close to the ocean, so the snow will have a tendency to be like Mt Hood, so why bother with a winter visit when I have wet snow so close to home. So my question is, all things being the same, living in Hood River, would you rather hit Whistler or Revelstoke?

I have only been to whistler a few times but each time I noticed that you can get a huge variety of snow conditions depending on where you go. Dont get me wrong, I love Hood but there is just no comparison to whistler/black comb when it comes to snow.....

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
534 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Feb 07, 15 12:33 am     Reply with quote

whistler is world class, pretty much the best compared to anywhere. everyone has their preference of course. canadian girls are pretty effin sweet too

lewmt

Since 04 Aug 2010
182 Posts
MT
Stoked

PostSat Feb 07, 15 6:52 am     Reply with quote

I haven't been to W/BC but I've been to Revvy. So much depends on the year & the way snow conditions are in a specific time frame. Then there's the "what do you like?" factor. I think there have been several upgrades at Revvy since I was there in the facilities. The sidecountry powder turns were fantastic. Crowds(at that time) no issue. Alternate locations in striking distance - Kicking Horse & several other spots S. of Revvy offer variety & great terrain options. Snow is champagne powder - so not the blower fluff of MT or the Wasatch but super nice. If you like backcountry turns then there's Rogers Pass & several Cat & Heli ski ops out of Revvy too. Can't go wrong there.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat Feb 07, 15 10:00 am     Reply with quote

everybody should ski Whistler at least once in their ski life.
The 5,000 feet of vertical means there's usually good snow on the upper mountain. It's so big that most days I don't even ski the lower half of the mountain - we ride the gondola back down to the village. The village is awesome.
It's expensive but the current exchange rate helps out.
March and early April are a great time to visit there - in a normal year but this is not a normal year.
Revelstoke has been having a yo yo season (warm, cold, warm cold).
If you're flexible and have the luxury of waiting until the last minute to make arrangements - watch the weather and decide at the last minute who has better conditions.
If you have to plan ahead and make reservations for a certain week - then go to Whistler.

bcito

Since 20 Mar 2013
12 Posts

PostSat Feb 07, 15 2:28 pm     Reply with quote

dude,that is like asking would you rather kite at Rufus or Maui. Both have water and wind.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Feb 07, 15 4:24 pm     Reply with quote

... And when there is a sign saying "danger" it doesn't mean there something awesome to hit on the other like on Hood Smile I learned that the hard way twice on my first trip to BC
Last edited by jerp on Sat Feb 07, 15 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Feb 07, 15 5:33 pm     Reply with quote

There fairly different. Your correct in that both whistler and the Hood area are maritime snowpack, generally more stable, more of it, settles quicker. But in the spring you get long slow growlers for avalanches.

Revi is a great place, but understand that they have fairly unstable snowpack comparable to ours, so if your heading there to tour, I would certainly know your conditions. If your going to go that far, might as well hit kicking horse and get a guide.

Both are a considerable drive......

LEWMT's statements are spot on....

stuffnthings

Since 28 Aug 2013
133 Posts
Colorado
Stoked

PostMon Feb 09, 15 8:20 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
everybody should ski Whistler at least once in their ski life.

After finally making the trip up there last year I can not agree more. It was incredible. Went for 4 days in April and had everything from fresh pow to ripping groomers and spring corn / slush down low. Just an incredible mountain. VERY different than skiing Hood.

When in doubt, kite loop out.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostMon Feb 09, 15 9:14 am    Bachelor Reply with quote

Bachelor is looking good now, they just got and kept 19" of new. 8' base and they claim to have the most snow in the West except Utah I think

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostTue Feb 10, 15 3:00 pm     Reply with quote

I just skied Hood today and Revvy 2weeks ago. Neither is having a good year. However Revvy would be my choice on a powder day, forget the front-side and just take the Gondola up & do back-side laps on the Stoke chair all day. Sweet.

Also hike to the top if it's open, at least once.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: