Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Does line length make a big difference?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nehersy

Since 05 Oct 2014
19 Posts
Walla Walla

PostWed Feb 04, 15 7:59 am    Does line length make a big difference? Reply with quote

For those of you that use one bar for different sized kites, does line length make that big of difference? I have 1 bar for my 8 10 12 meter switch nitro 2 kites. What length of lines should i use that will work for all 3 sizes? Thanks in advance for your input!

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Feb 04, 15 8:19 am     Reply with quote

it's personal preference.
i always fly my small kites on 20m lines as I like quick snappy response.
my larger kites (10, 12) i switch back and forth between the 20m and 23m lines depending on the wind strength and my mood.....
longer lines if the wind is light and i want to boost..... shorter lines if it's strong gusty wind or i want to speed up the handling on the larger kites.

22 or 23m lines would be a good all around length for your quiver.

normally, the wind speed increases the higher you get off the ground.
i.e - it's more windy at 75(25m) feet than at 60 feet (20m).

Shorter kite lines will force the kite to fly in a smaller window, at lower altitude.
It will reach all points of the flying window very quickly, giving a very fast response.

Longer kite lines will do the opposite. When the kite reaches its maximum height, it will be able to catch strong winds.... the kite will appear much slower and less responsive.

Short lines (between 15 and 20 meters) are used in situations of very strong and gusty winds to allow a better control of a kite.

Long lines (25 meters) are normally used in light wind conditions or in kitesurf racing, when it’s necessary to reach the best wind possible.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Feb 04, 15 10:28 am    Re: Does line length make a big difference? Reply with quote

Nehersy wrote:
For those of you that use one bar for different sized kites, does line length make that big of difference? I have 1 bar for my 8 10 12 meter switch nitro 2 kites. What length of lines should i use that will work for all 3 sizes? Thanks in advance for your input!

The actual bar width does make a big difference...using a 17" bar on a 12m or bigger can work, but the responsiveness is going to be much slower and cause extra stress upon your elbow and biceps when you're really having to work the kite (could be for generating power or turning a lot on a wave, or sending the kite to get air).

Conversely, one can get into a sh*t load of trouble if one uses a bar like 23" wide (meant for the biggest of kites ie 12-15m) bar on a tiny kite like 4-8m. One will have too much leverage on the kite and the kite can be too fast maneuvering/responsive. I did this way back in the days when I was learning (2003) :-0. Needless to say I learned my lesson the hard way.

Last edited by Sasquatch on Thu Feb 05, 15 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Feb 04, 15 1:50 pm     Reply with quote

I fly all my kites from 5 M to 17 M all on the same 55 cm bar with 20 m lines.

I just got used to how they fly with this bar and don't have to worry about having different bars for different kites.

I think I would like to get 21 or 22 m lines next time I get new lines but my 20 M lines seem to be ok. I think the longer lines will give me a bit more range in lower wind ranges.

When snow kite I might put 3 or 4 meter extensions if the wind is light or I am going on some steep terrain. The longer lines provide for a bigger power stroke and get the kite farther off the ground when looping up steep hills.

In my opinion unless you are in the market for another bar what you have should work fine.

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostWed Feb 04, 15 9:45 pm     Reply with quote

line length makes a difference. However most manufacturers these days have tuned their kites to perform best with the factory bar and line length.

As far as I know, switch kites only makes one bar that comes with 20m lines and 3m extensions. in that case 20m is the ideal length they will tune all their kites to run on. The 3m extensions may help gain some low end but when you add line length there is always a compromise. I've experimented with long lines before and I found the added drag would make the kite sit deeper and the added stretch would kill my ability to pop. They did however help with a lightwind start due to the larger downward stroke. They also helped a little with hangtime in a standard pendulum jump. Ultimately I found the length the mfg picks gives the best balance in performance.

Hope that info helps!

Nehersy

Since 05 Oct 2014
19 Posts
Walla Walla

PostThu Feb 05, 15 7:03 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, can't wait to get out and give these kites a try.

cosmodog

Since 06 Oct 2005
201 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Feb 05, 15 7:50 am     Reply with quote

I use 20m lines in the surf and 25m lines in flat water. In the surf I often want to quickly move the kite from one side of the window to the other - shorter lines help (I have seen people on 15m lines but never tried them myself). In flat water the longer lines seem to jump better and slow the kite down for tricks.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostThu Feb 05, 15 4:16 pm     Reply with quote

I second bar length over line length.
I fly
5-7 meter with 18 inch 23 meter lines
9 meter with 2o inch bar 23 meter lines
and anything 11 or bigger 24 inch with 23 meter
my 11 flys like a 7 with 24 inch bar.
I love my seven .
But I only ride in salt.
No fancy stuff.

Very Happy
I have experimented with shorter and longer lines and they make a difference to but not really across kites.
Short no good for small, long no good for big .
imho.
I would fly them all with a 20 inch bar with 20 or 23 lines which ever you have or can get reasonably ( ideally more than 1 bar for max function and reliability.)
I chew up a few chicken lines a year minimum normally.
I have a set of 16 meter lines and they suck.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostFri Feb 06, 15 11:32 am     Reply with quote

Sella needs to chime in on this. He uses different line lengths sometime to maximize the wind and kite sizes. !!!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Feb 06, 15 11:43 am     Reply with quote

Dog Patrol wrote:
Sella needs to chime in on this. He uses different line lengths sometime to maximize the wind and kite sizes. !!!

I second that. . .and bar lengths too.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Feb 06, 15 3:42 pm     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
Dog Patrol wrote:

I second that. . .and bar lengths too.

All the feedback from the posters is very accurate so not much to add except from my personal experience that is Gorge specific riding. I'm a fan of 23m lines as the daily "go to". The turning speed and pop seems ideally balanced for any kite size.

I usually ride late in the day when the window is changing so I play with my lines to get as much throw as possibly to get my ass back home as I mainly kite from the Event Site and have 3 different wind speeds to consider during any session. (ES, WS Bridge, Hatch)

My 5 Slingy bar set-up;

17x20 50+
20x20 40+
20x23 75% of use
20x25 20% of use
23x27 10-14m

Board choice, kite choice, pigtail tuning and riding style is added micro-tuning personal preference so this is not a perfect science but I believe the line play gives me +/- 1 kite size in "feel". My quiver gap is 2m fyi (4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14) so I'm gaming the system and definitely have some overlap going on but it depends on what or how you want to ride that day.

We've all been there pumping up on the grass at 4:30 PM, sun coming down, needing a 12m to get off the Sandbar but it's capping 9m at the bridge so I'll grab the 20x23's and the twin-tip to mellow a 14 Rally, knowing I'll be lit up top for awhile but it will clean out. Or I grab a 10m RPM, 23x27's and a floaty board and be lit as well....but with a completely different feel and pinch up to the Hatch where it could be blowing 6m....for awhile. The win for me is both scenarios help me ride as late as possible and with power during the entire session.

For newbies.....respect that Mother Nature does have a mind of her own so keep it simple and focus on honing your rhythm/timing to become one with whatever kite, board or bar that came with your purchase and your swim time will be very minimal. Smile

Spring cannot come fast enough.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Feb 06, 15 7:31 pm     Reply with quote

Lots of good stuff here
Does line length make a difference? some
Does it make a big difference? not really, you will adjust to whatever you ride daily quickly.
Everyone has a personal preference, I like a slightly quicker response so I prefer shorter lines and a longer bar in my 6, 8 & 10, especially in the waves. As said before the kite does not really turn faster, it starts the turn a bit quicker and reaches the edge of the window faster so it feels faster. You do give up a bit of low end ease, you have to move the kite a bit more to get going in really low wind but I would rather do that and have a quicker kite. So, 6, 8, 10 are on 20 inch bar and 21 meter lines. The larger kite is on a 23 bar and 23 meter lines. Seems to me not much of a difference in less than 3 meter changes in line length. Best thing to do, of course, is play around with it and see where you end up liking it the best....there is no right answer...so there is no wrong answer....just what feels best to you for now, cause it will probably change with a style change. Like boosting needs slightly longer lines, etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: