Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Slingshot Celeritas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Jan 28, 15 8:48 pm    Slingshot Celeritas? Reply with quote

Slingshot Celeritas?

I am looking to go to a surfboard. Tried my first surfboard in La Ventana and was hooked. I have windsurfed for 35 years, the surfboard seemed so natural. It would be an all round board that would be used on the Oregon Coast and Gorge. I weight 205 lbs. Typical Coast kite sizes that I would use are 9, 11, 14, and 17. For you riders near this weight what size of Celeritas would you recommend. Looking at discounted 2014 first, then 2015.

Thanks
Anthony

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Jan 28, 15 10:40 pm     Reply with quote

5'8" "Celery-Toss"

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Jan 29, 15 10:20 am     Reply with quote

I had the 5'4" I think the first year, maybe 2nd. Nice, light, floaty cause of the width. Eventually I went to a narrower tail for snappier turning.

I do almost all my sailing on the coast and for that I like really light floaty boards. These boards really bounce you around and work your knees in typical Gorge river chop...for that, a smaller, heavier board is probably better.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jan 29, 15 10:59 am     Reply with quote

I have 5 kite surf boards.
I kite 50% gorge, 50% ocean waves.
I windsurfed for 25 years. I weigh 185.
Hands down my favorite all around board is the 5'8" Celeritas.
It excels in all conditions including the gorge chop and it will handle 6m - 12m kite size.
Easy to jibe, easy to surf strapped or strapless, it will be the perfect board to learn on.
If you have sensitive knees like me - remove the pad it comes with and get a full
dual-density pad from Northshore that's peel and stick.
Smooth ride for a rough world.......

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Jan 29, 15 11:02 am     Reply with quote

Maybe demo a 6' tyrant also

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

daveS

Since 23 Jul 2007
101 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jan 29, 15 11:07 am     Reply with quote

i'm about 180# and I really like the Celeritas for the Gorge. I have the 5'8". At 205 you might want the 5'11". I use a tyrant for bigger days when I go to the coast. More rocker and wave oriented board.

nealm

Since 19 Jul 2012
41 Posts
North Coast/White Salmon

PostFri Jan 30, 15 3:13 pm     Reply with quote

I'm also around 180lbs and I love the 5'6, I have the epoxy version, I think 2013? Great in the surf and does well in the Gorge too. Fast planing board and I feel like I can really slow down on the way out through the surf if I need to without sinking too much. If you're thinking about the 5'11 consider the large jump in volume between sizes with this board: 5'6: 23.75, 5'8: 26, and the 5'11 is 32L!!! To me that seems like a lot for a kite board: http://www.slingshotsports.com/2015-Celeritas?sc=53&category=61517#.VMwQWEKHf8s

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostFri Jan 30, 15 9:41 pm     Reply with quote

I'm 170 and love the 5'8" Seler-i-taas (means swiftness in latin and Einstein used it as C in the speed of light). I can use it in the Gorge in light and heavy wind but find it a bit flat for the coast when bigger. At 205 I'd get the big Celeritas for lighter wind/smaller waves and the 5'11" Tyrant for high wind/overhead waves. I have the Tyrant too but choose the Celeritas 75% of the time as it is speedier and glides through lulls better.
Last edited by macgruber on Sat Jan 31, 15 9:30 am; edited 2 times in total

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Jan 31, 15 9:14 am     Reply with quote

Celeritas to me is like the RPM. You will find a kite that goes upwind a bit better, or another kite that jumps a bit higher or... But, when one steps back and looks at the RPM's entire body of work, it's top three everywhere, thus it's just my go to kite.

The Celeritas is that kind of board for me. As I used to share boards with my kids, at one point we had 5'11 and 6'1" tyrant, 5'6" Pit, 5'11" Pit, 5'6" Celeritas and 5'8" Celeritas. On days where it was just me, I ended up using the 58C pretty much everytime. For me, it's the "RPM" of boards.

Note: I sold my 56 Pit a few years ago and deeply regret that. Something about that board had some serious magic juju when strapped. I only ride strapless these days, but that board was kept strapped and I would get my "jump fix" on it from time to time.

Eric

J.W.SURFS

Since 14 Aug 2012
44 Posts

PostSun Feb 01, 15 10:02 am     Reply with quote

I'm a 200lb kiter. The Celeritas 5'11'' 2014 model has been a very fun board.
I went big with no regrets so far. I've only riding it strapless, from 3 Mile to Jones, not in the ocean yet. My 35yrs of surfing experience tells me this board will be just fine in the ocean surf. Not huge swell but average head to waist high it will perform just fine.

I will say for the 5'11" model the factory front deck pad placement is to far back for my stance. I found in some conditions I wanted my front foot more forward on the board.
I added some NSI deck strips in front of the front pad and have been happy.
For me, the board has put a big smile on my face. It's fast and smooth.
Good luck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: