Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Pakistan lifts kite-flying ban

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Jan 04, 07 8:58 am    Pakistan lifts kite-flying ban Reply with quote

Ok its safe to put Pakistan back on the travel list Wink Of course you cant fly anything larger than 2 feet by 2 feet. Pray for lots of wind!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070104/ap_on_re_as/pakistan_kite_ban

LAHORE, Pakistan - Authorities on Thursday lifted a ban on kite-flying in a Pakistan province after the sport was forbidden last year following a series of deaths caused by reinforced kite strings, an official said.

The ban was lifted about a month ahead of Basant, an annual festival that heralds spring and is marked by flying colorful kites in the eastern province of Punjab and its capital, Lahore.

This year's festival will be celebrated on Feb. 25, said Salman Ghani, chairman of Punjab's planning and development department.

During Basant last year, seven people were fatally slashed by glass-coated or metal-reinforced kite strings, prompting authorities to ban kite-flying. They arrested hundreds who defied the new regulation.

Among last year's fatalities was a 4-year-old boy whose throat was slit by a string coated with glass as he rode on a motorcycle with his father.

Ghani said that glass-coated or metal strings will be banned, and that authorities will issue licenses for selling kites and strings during this year's festival.

The ban will be re-imposed after the festival's final day celebrations, he said.

Kites larger than 2 feet by 2 feet will not be allowed to prevent the use of heavy strings, Ghani said.

Offenders will face up to four years in jail, or a fine of 100,000 rupees ($1,800), he said.

www.naishkites.com

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Jan 04, 07 11:18 am    Re: Pakistan lifts kite-flying ban Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
glass-coated or metal strings will be banned

wonder if I can pick this up from NSI - perfect for crowded days at Sauvies Twisted Evil

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostThu Jan 04, 07 12:09 pm     Reply with quote

This could be the theme of a new best-selling novel..."Kite Swimmer"....

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Jan 04, 07 2:07 pm     Reply with quote

Actually, there is already an EXCELLENT book about this, its called Kite Runners.

Kids in Pakistan have kite fights and the winner gets to keep the other kite. The kite runner has to run and chase the losers kite so that the victor can enjoys the spoils.

The book is about much more than kite fighting (of course) but they never mentioned people's heads getting cut off!!

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Jan 04, 07 3:57 pm     Reply with quote

Kite runner is a great book. Thumb's Up
It helps open your eyes to other cultures.

Sometimes I think about the kite battles as I cruize around Sauvies!

www.naishkites.com

Reaper356

Since 10 Dec 2006
781 Posts
Salem / LC Oregon
Opinionated

PostThu Jan 04, 07 5:47 pm     Reply with quote

So that's like what, less than a one meter kite?

I suppose they shoot rpg's at you too if you try to outrun them? Razz

luke

Since 06 Jul 2005
399 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jan 04, 07 5:55 pm     Reply with quote

A group of kiters went over to Pakistan in March 06 on the invitation from the Prime Minister. The people in the Lahore region are fanatical about kiting. It is awesome. We felt right at home being amongst people with a huge passion for kites.

We went up into the Himalayas and snowkited from a base camp at 14,000'. HUGE. Most of the highest mountains in the world are in Pakistan. Most except Everest.

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostFri Jan 05, 07 12:05 am    Re: Pakistan lifts kite-flying ban Reply with quote

Gman wrote:
Mark wrote:
glass-coated or metal strings will be banned

wonder if I can pick this up from NSI - perfect for crowded days at Sauvies Twisted Evil
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil RAZOR WIRE Laughing Laughing Laughing SURE WOULD'NT WANT TO ROLL THEM LINES OUT ...MAYBE BACK IN THE DAY, PROB. COULD HAVE CAME IN HANDY AT PARTIES.. Laughing Laughing Laughing TROLL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: