Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Drone Video
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Reo Stevens

Since 23 Apr 2013
10 Posts

PostMon Jan 19, 15 3:31 pm    Drone Video Reply with quote

Just finished up this video of keahi and I with our new DJI Phantom and Gopro.. The quad copter is so fun! especially filming kiting.. Got it out in about 25knts of wind..

Link

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jan 19, 15 8:11 pm     Reply with quote

Awesome! That is by far the best drone footage I've seen for kiting! Great framing & tracking, and the stabilization was flawless! Top notch! Thumb's Up

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostMon Jan 19, 15 8:22 pm     Reply with quote

Unreal perspective of the rider, the kite, the waves and the reef all in the same clips.

Very Happy

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jan 19, 15 8:56 pm     Reply with quote

I could watch this all night!

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostTue Jan 20, 15 8:56 am     Reply with quote

Great work!

So Reo, were you flying it at all or just riding? Props to the pilot for some skilled flying in strong winds!

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostTue Jan 20, 15 9:39 am     Reply with quote

Awesome vid!!! Incredible, especially if done with a DJI Phantom... (even with a v2)... but equally impressive is the great riding!

J_Matic

Since 14 Oct 2011
158 Posts
InDaHo
Stoked

PostTue Jan 20, 15 3:49 pm     Reply with quote

Epic kiting and filming, nicely done!

Looks like Mokuleiwa, North Shore?

Reo Stevens

Since 23 Apr 2013
10 Posts

PostWed Jan 21, 15 12:12 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Guys! Stoked you liked it!

Yes, it was all done with the Phantom 2 with 3axis gimbal.. and the GoPro4 in 2.7k 48fps (allows for a small bit of cropping while still maintaining 1080p)

Both Keahi and I were the riders and pilots. We simply just swapped back and forth.

This was just our first attempts at flying and tracking kiting, so hopefully if the wind ever comes back (hasnt been any since november when we filmed this) we'll get some better clips in some better waves!

Careful if you have one though! We've had a few close calls with other kites out.. Both keahi and I have already accepted the fact we're gonna drown it soon!

Aloha,
Reo

beech

Since 21 Aug 2010
482 Posts
Longview, WA
Obsessed

PostFri Jan 23, 15 11:15 am     Reply with quote

Looks like mokes!!

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostFri Jan 23, 15 5:48 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Reo Stevens for the technical details. Makes a lot of sense that this is a V2 and I guess the 3 axis definitely is better than 2 on the gimbal. I agree totally with your last statement: I have been psychologically prepared to drop mine in the water at some point since day 1. Even collided with a kite (kite lines) last summer. I posted the resulting video on this forum in December. Quad recovered a few feet above the water after a 20/30 feet downward spiral. But both quad and kite were fine. Can't wait to see more of your videos and great riding!

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Jan 23, 15 8:08 pm     Reply with quote

Who is the music artist?

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostFri Jan 23, 15 10:11 pm     Reply with quote

Reo Stevens wrote:

Careful if you have one though! We've had a few close calls with other kites out.. Both keahi and I have already accepted the fact we're gonna drown it soon!

Aloha,
Reo

+1 with regards to that!

I had someone unknowingly thread the needle and fly their kite lines right around my quadcopter this summer. Got it on video and luckily no collision happened. Still though, it was way too close. Its amazing how nobody notices the noisy flying weed wacker buzzing around the sky.

MikeZ

Since 17 Jul 2012
207 Posts
Beaverton / Seaside / Govy
Stoked

PostSun Jan 25, 15 1:14 pm     Reply with quote

C Johnson wrote:
I had someone unknowingly thread the needle and fly their kite lines right around my quadcopter this summer. Got it on video and luckily no collision happened. Still though, it was way too close. Its amazing how nobody notices the noisy flying weed wacker buzzing around the sky.

Gee, and I thought it was generally considered a good thing to be able to fly the kite without constantly looking at it?

I've got to say, I believe it's more incumbent on the person operating the copter to watch for kites, and not the other way around...

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostSun Jan 25, 15 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

I agree the drone pilot needs to be responsible for staying out of kiters way.

Just making the point to not expect the rider to pay attention, even if you have talked with them before hand about filming.

In my situation I was focusing on filming one rider when a second rider closed in on my position from behind. I saw it coming and tried to get out of the way but couldn't get out of the way fast enough. We were both lucky that it was a near miss.

I still would recommend always talking with riders before hand and letting them know what you're planning to do and where. Also, maybe stick to filming friends only. People you don't know might freak out when they see something flying overhead.

Last edited by C Johnson on Mon Jan 26, 15 7:07 am; edited 2 times in total

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jan 25, 15 1:59 pm     Reply with quote

MikeZ wrote:

I've got to say, I believe it's more incumbent on the person operating the copter to watch for kites, and not the other way around...

I agree.

groundclown

Since 12 May 2007
135 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostThu Jan 29, 15 7:53 am     Reply with quote

Beautiful video. One thing though... Wind in that vid was never above 15-16kts. I want to see the 25kt cuts too see how the phantom handles. A friend is getting/ got one and I am thinking about it.

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostThu Jan 29, 15 7:59 am     Reply with quote

groundclown wrote:
Beautiful video. One thing though... Wind in that vid was never above 15-16kts. I want to see the 25kt cuts too see how the phantom handles. A friend is getting/ got one and I am thinking about it.

the stress level of flying goes up significantly as wind speed goes up.

I don't have a phantom but the drone i built is similarly sized and has a tough time flying faster than the wind speed in the kinds of winds you're talking about. This means if you fly downwind of your location you might have a tough time flying back to where you launched.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: