Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Big mama kites? Need advice!
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostMon Jan 12, 15 7:43 pm    Big mama kites? Need advice! Reply with quote

Moved to Durango CO--miss the Gorge for sure--but I'm back at it after a trip to Baja. Still have the old 6-8-10-12 rpm (well the 6 is a Fuel but I disgress) quiver and I'm using it well. 8 and 12 was perfect for La Ventana. And I kited Friday and Saturday (Sunday was powder day!) on my 12m rpm on a snowboard and skis when locals were flying 15 m Ozone foils (I flew them too and while they gave more mid strength, they were shit at loops and super sluggish--I took my 12 out after (late pm when 8-12 mph wind was not getting stronger) the 15 and threw my first snow front roll).

Anyway, I need an extension of my RPM (really no problems with RPMs!!) in the 15 meter range. Obviously I can work the 12 m and make low winds work, but I want to be powered for freestyle. I like the portability of foil, because I backcountry ski regularly, but I want something I can loop and depend on like an RPM.

Maybe this doesn't exist, but I value the expert opinions represented in this forum.

Is a new 14 m rpm the answer? I like the new bridle system for sure. The primo kite site here in Durango is park and kite so no real need to avoid a pump (plus pumping it up gets you warmed up, right?)

Or is there a sick 15 m foil (probably better range definitely better portability) out there I don't know about? I should qualify that the 15 m foil I rode was an Ozone Mantra 2, I think from the conversation I had with Bear that this is an older (but respected) ozone kite.

Thanks and I miss my PNW kiting peeps! Stringy I looked for you in Baja but was very busy kiting...

http://youtu.be/jjtuUiF8utA

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Jan 12, 15 9:46 pm     Reply with quote

Slingshot has the Turbine in both 15m and 17m this year... I'm thinking I'm going to replace my 14m Rally with a 15m Turbine. I haven't tried the 15m yet, but the 17m is my favorite light wind kite of any kite I've ever tried.

luke

Since 06 Jul 2005
399 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jan 13, 15 7:14 am    inflatables Reply with quote

I rode foils on the snow for eight years and now exclusively ride inflatables on snow. Remember that any 15m kite (foil or inflatable) will feel sluggish. Another pump and ride spot is up on Lizard Head Pass above Durango. Gorge local Mark Worth runs Telluride Snowkite on the pass and knows the spot well.

If you have backcountry skills, then Red Mt. Pass might be your spot. The locals could be using foils not only because they work, but because they can more easily access this epic snowkite location. Still, easily doable with an inflatable. Just a little more weight in the pack.

Have FUN.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jan 13, 15 7:35 am    slingshot large kite comparison Reply with quote

I have the following three kites in or around 2010-2012 range. I wouldn't classify this as expert opinion... but the following is my impression of their differences.

12M RPM - Feels small. Love this kite. Turning is quick and responsive (for a 12) and loops great.

14 RPM - Pulls like a tank. Huge bar pressure. Turns like a jumbo jet. feels large. the jump from my 12M RPM to my 14M RPM is a large gap. Rather difficult kite to ride due to the slowness and bar pressure combined, however when you do time things right you can jump to the moon (and you end up way down river as your pull is as much downwind as upward). This kite kinda reminds me of my old T3 with the 2:1 bar settings.

17M Turbine - Turns about the same speed as my 14M RPM. Loops about the same as the 14M, perhaps even a touch better. Light bar pressure. The top end of my 17M Turbine is not much different than the top end of my 14 RPM, however the low end is much better. On the low end, you can ride that turbine on a sneeze and a little river current. I over pump the heck out of my turbine so that the wingtips don't fold when I power it up. Comfortable and easy kite to ride in light wind conditions.

On a side note, just picked up a 2014 12m Rally. Hoping it will help fill the uncomfortable gap between my 2012 12M RPM and my turbine, but haven't ridden it yet...

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostTue Jan 13, 15 9:06 am     Reply with quote

Airon....glad to hear you're still out killing it.

I echo BigJohn's thoughts on the 14 RPM.....it's a truck. That larger size just kills the quickness. My 14 Rally...smooth and steady with better range but still a big floaty monster. 17 Turbine low end is impressive but as Ken stated once you get into the larger sizes they bring a kite induced riding style and you lean towards fast moving / powered BOOM.....aka 12 RPM. You could try line extensions to squeeze a little more out of your 12 while keeping your pack small.

If your spot is park n ride and everyone is just sitting in their rigs waiting for a puff......the Turbine will get you in the game. If Nak happens to be selling his...buy it as it will be in pristine condition. Thumb's Up

Hope to see you back in the Gorge for some water therapy sessions this year.

j

Since 08 Nov 2006
94 Posts
Seattle

PostTue Jan 13, 15 10:31 am     Reply with quote

I think especially for snow kiting you're going to want a kite that is as light weight as possible.

In addition to the Turbine, I'd check out the blade fat lady, LF Solo, or any other kite that is build to keep weight down so the kite stays in the air first and foremost.

Maybe ask Brad about the Airush single strut kite he was flying.

airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostWed Jan 14, 15 6:27 am    thanks all Reply with quote

I was looking hard at the Turbine 15, just wish I had some reviews

Also was considering the Cloud strut less kites--people seem to like them and say they have great range and power.

Shout out to The Gorge-ous PNW!

rePete

Since 18 Dec 2007
215 Posts
Mosier, Oregon
Stoked

PostWed Jan 14, 15 8:55 am     Reply with quote

The new Ocean Rodeo Flites are well worth checking out. I have the 17m and it is light weight, fast turning and very responsive. The 14.5 might be your best bet. They now have a 10m and 12m. I flew the 10m and was very impressed, very quick and powerful. Sometimes there's just too many choices!

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jan 14, 15 9:21 am     Reply with quote

If you want a superlight 17m kite that will power you in 8 knots, fit in a pillowcase, and be good in water as well as snow, maybe try a cloud.
I have 2 of them, 17 and 7. They're kinda different, great for waves, great for hanging in the sky when wind drops. The 17 is good for about 8mph to 15 or so, the 7 from 20mph to 35 (or 30 if you are lighter). Kinda wish I had a 12 to fit the middle range....

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jan 14, 15 9:58 am     Reply with quote

I second the flight it's a nice kite and has a lot of depower for when the wind picks up.

Earlier this week you could get a 17 for just over $800.00 brand new from Amazon.

The price has jumped back up as of today. If you are interested in a flight keep checking Amazon as the prices jump around a lot. You have to check each color to get the lowest price.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Jan 14, 15 10:08 am     Reply with quote

I think there was either some glitch on ocean rodeo side on amazon or some weird pricing scheme, because you could get a new 2013 Razor in different sizes for less than $300 this week

Last edited by voy-tech on Wed Jan 14, 15 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jan 14, 15 10:27 am     Reply with quote

I don't think they are glitches, I have bought almost all my Ocean Rodeo Kites off Amazon for very good prices and with 2 day shipping with Prime.

I just got a 12 M prodigy for $860, the next day the price was back up to $1200.00. I also bough my Drysuit off Amazon for several hundred below advertised prices.

Amazon had 2013 8 m razors for as low as $270 last week. If I didn't already have a quiver of Razors I would have got one.

I let my buddy know about the 800.00 flight he said he was going to get it. I am not sure if he did or not.

I believe Ocean Rodeo sells directly on Amazon and prices bounce around a lot.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jan 15, 15 8:02 am    Re: thanks all Reply with quote

airon^ wrote:
I was looking hard at the Turbine 15, just wish I had some reviews

Also was considering the Cloud strut less kites--people seem to like them and say they have great range and power.

Shout out to The Gorge-ous PNW!

hey airon I've got a quiver of clouds, but have yet to fly them on snow. I will say they do fly in little wind. perfect kite for foiling, but probably not the best choice for wakestyle. I'm looking forward to taking these up to plains of abraham this winter/spring. I like how they pack so small and are lightweight. I actually packed a 9, 12, and 14.5 m kite in one bag and carried it on my flight and put it in overhead bin no problem.

muthergoose

Since 14 Oct 2013
169 Posts
East Couve
Stoked

PostThu Jan 15, 15 10:27 am     Reply with quote

anyone use the naish fly? curious how it handles for a big kite with one strut

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostThu Jan 15, 15 9:27 pm     Reply with quote

POPEY'S CHICKEN SHOULD DO THE TRICK Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing TROLL

CrazyHerb

Since 04 Oct 2008
79 Posts
Ilwaco, WA

PostThu Jan 15, 15 10:44 pm    Helium 18M Reply with quote

I just ordered this.....would probably fit the bill...

http://switchkites.com/helium.html

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostFri Jan 16, 15 6:11 pm    Thanks All - Amazon! Reply with quote

Hey all, a big thanks for the Amazon OR info -

Just snagged a XL OR Soul Drysuit in Grey for $455 which is an awesome price. A couple more left if anyone is interested. Grey/XL only...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: