Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Rooster 1-8-15

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostThu Jan 08, 15 8:12 am    Rooster 1-8-15 Reply with quote

Today is nuking again but Iwindsurf shows 22 at Jones Beach and 14 at Clatsop which I think is 5mph low on easterlies. If I had time, I think Lot D would work. Yesterday I was driving back from HR and stopped at Rooster. Mike and Larry were windsurfing on 4.0s and the beach was flooded waist deep. wind 45 avg 40-54 and 50 degree air, I think the water is in the low 40's. It looked ok to drift launch straight off the ranger station but I was eyeing the western pilings too for a tethered launch since there was no bushes there. I know the wind is a bit lighter there but I'm not eager to drift launch with the pilings just downwind of me. Anybody try it before?

Rooster Rock Light 66 Rate Survey!
Date Time Lull Avg (mph) Gust Temp Pressure
01/08 7:56 AM 45.5 55.8 ENE/77° 72.7 42°F 1017.3mb (0.43 / 180) rising slowly 30.04"Hg
Current Wind Graph

newgraph.gif 

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostThu Jan 08, 15 10:28 am     Reply with quote

Liquid Smoke!

Addict

Since 26 Jun 2012
101 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jan 08, 15 11:21 am     Reply with quote

72mph gust......better rig 2.5m

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu Jan 08, 15 2:31 pm     Reply with quote

The ponds in Astoria are always really good on days like this.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostThu Jan 08, 15 4:17 pm    4 pm ish Reply with quote

Here's Rooster, Jones, and Clatsop Spit (Ft Stevens) at 4:00. Rooster is smoke and Jones looks good but is low 40's air and water temp. I'm sure that Lot D at Ft Stevens was probably the best with 50 degree wind and water but its a bit of a haul and the sensor is just so bad. Ikitesurf really needs to get on it.

Clatsop Spit (Ft Stevens)
 Clatsop Spit (Ft Stevens)  newgraph-2.gif 
Jones Beach
 Jones Beach  newgraph-1.gif 
Rooster Rock
 Rooster Rock  newgraph.gif 

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jan 08, 15 8:21 pm    Re: 4 pm ish Reply with quote

macgruber wrote:
Here's Rooster, Jones, and Clatsop Spit (Ft Stevens) at 4:00. Rooster is smoke and Jones looks good but is low 40's air and water temp. I'm sure that Lot D at Ft Stevens was probably the best with 50 degree wind and water but its a bit of a haul and the sensor is just so bad. Ikitesurf really needs to get on it.

you might try checking the megler bridge sensor. I tend to look at that to see what's going on. I haven't been out there since last winter. long overdue for a ponds session.

BeerKite

Since 29 Mar 2011
471 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jan 08, 15 8:47 pm     Reply with quote

I was out at the ponds last week and the Astoria airport was reading 14mph and it was at least 10mph light. We were over powered on 12's and even though the tide was as far out as either of us had ever seen, there were still some cool flat water spots to explore.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostThu Jan 08, 15 11:37 pm     Reply with quote

Good call on the Megler Bridge. I guess Ive skipped it in the past since I'm normally looking for NW winds and its inland. It definitely reads the East wind better than Clatsop or Astoria airport. Probably the warmest sailing in Oregon and it looks like it will go again tomorrow. Last year in January I hit Lot D after driving past Jones and it was way warmer. Probably +5 air and +10 water.

Megler Astoria Bridge
 Megler Astoria Bridge  image.jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: