Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

2015 IRS bridle system on RPMs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostTue Jan 06, 15 3:20 pm    2015 IRS bridle system on RPMs Reply with quote

Saw the video. Anyone seen it, tried it?

www.slingshotsports.com/2015-RPM

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jan 06, 15 4:50 pm     Reply with quote

I've been flying RPMs since 2009.
I demo'd a prototype of the 2015 this past summer.
I kinda sorta noticed the kite was more stable in the gusts.
But what I really noticed was the immediate response and direct feel for the kite.
The RPMs have always had quick and direct response to bar control. But the pulleys are act like a buffer between you and the kite. Like wearing a condom.
With the pulleys removed there's nothing between you and the kite - I experienced more feel and control of the kite. Pull on the bar and the kite moves - no hesitation, no lag time.
It's a nice upgrade to a kite that was already high up on the evolutionary ladder.

dcfordo

Since 19 May 2011
60 Posts
The Dalles

PostTue Jan 06, 15 8:08 pm     Reply with quote

Ha ha.

Rip off that condom!

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jan 09, 15 10:01 am     Reply with quote

Interesting for sure. I remember a year or three back a guy posted on kf a no pulley rpm setup he had worked out. But no bungees, just normal fixed lines....
Love to try one when they make it to my area...

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jan 10, 15 10:25 am     Reply with quote

Hope someone comes on here has tested it.

Some people like the pulleys. A slight delay in turning is good for unhooking when you don't want the kite to react to bar input.

I like the direct feel better, no delay in sending the kite... may improve jumping on the kite as well.

2015 RPM.jpg 
   bungee bridal RPM.jpg 

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Jan 10, 15 11:46 am     Reply with quote

Yes. I rode a 2015 6m on a 5-40 mph day in August. One of those days where getting from the Sandbar to the wind-line at Wells is an exercise in patience, and a bit of luck. I was kiting with Laird who was on a 2012 6m RPM. Anyway, the wind near the Hatchery was 15 to 45 ish--about as punchy as it gets. I really was completely unable to compare stability, jumping, drift, upwind etc due to the super funky wind, to my 2014 rpms, nor was I able to see any difference looking at my, and Laird's 2012 kite in the air. But THE thing I did notice was the direct steering.

It was very evident, even on a small kite, which tend to feel direct anyway. I'm not talking about kite speed, rather the time it took for a bar input to get to the kite. Really, it made me realize that the pulleys do induce some lag, though I don't mind that at all on the smaller kites--8 on down. When I was given the kite I was not told what I "should" notice. I don't remember if I noticed if the demo had pulleys or not when I was rigging. When I returned the kite I was asked what differences I noticed. "Steering response" is what I told him.

My hunch is the 2015's will be a hit, and that the benefits of a direct connect will be increasingly noticeable and beneficial as the kite size increases. I plan on filling some holes in my 2014 quiver with '15's, and I might spring for a 12m. Usually the largest kite I can tolerate is a 10m due to turning rates. Removing the lag on the larger kites might just be the ticket for me to appreciate kites larger than 8m. I ride a strapless surfboard and for the most part don't jump anymore, so some of the possible '15 improvements would go unnoticed by me regardless.

Eric

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostThu Jan 15, 15 1:27 pm     Reply with quote

Another big plus for the 2015 RPM is the new over-sized fill valve. It's way faster to inflate now. The fill valve fits most existing pumps and use the twist-lock hose end without the restricting nozzle. Then the fill valve on the pump gets covered with what looks like a mini-neoprene sombrero. As well SS includes a new hose with each kite just to be sure you are compatible.

[img][/img]

New bag too, way easier to get the kite in and out of.
[img][/img]

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jan 15, 15 2:25 pm     Reply with quote

I remember the "briefcase" bag. That was a challenge. No pump just Hose...hmmm. I assume its the same attachment as the Cabrihnas?

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostFri Jan 16, 15 11:08 am     Reply with quote

Yup, same as valve as Cabrinha.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jan 16, 15 2:45 pm     Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the bungees actually do? If there was just a line there instead, what would the difference be? is the bungee string enough to make a difference in the feel of the kite or…?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jan 16, 15 2:56 pm     Reply with quote

explained in the video at 1:10. it's basically a shock absorber.
".... auto-distributes the line tension throughout the kite resulting in smoother feel on the bar".

knotwindy wrote:
Does anyone know what the bungees actually do? If there was just a line there instead, what would the difference be? is the bungee string enough to make a difference in the feel of the kite or…?

nathaniel_e

Since 28 Jan 2015
1 Posts

PostWed Jan 28, 15 4:08 pm     Reply with quote

Anyone know if this bridle would fit on an older RPM? looks like the attachment points might be the same as the 2014 2013. Just wondering if i needed to replace a bridle if i should get a 2015 bridle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: