Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

PDX locations to learn to fly my trainer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
harvey

Since 02 Jan 2007
4 Posts
Sellwood
Kook

PostTue Jan 02, 07 1:25 pm    PDX locations to learn to fly my trainer Reply with quote

Can someone tell me some good locations around Portland to safely learn to fly my trainer kite? After my first attempt today, I realize this could be dangerous in the begiinning. Is there a place at Sauvie's Island that doesn't interfere?

Also, what range of wind speed am I looking for to learn in?

Thanks in advance.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostTue Jan 02, 07 1:50 pm     Reply with quote

E. Winds - Columbia River, beach near the airport (next to the boat launch/Salty's)

W. Wind- Sauvies Island

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Jan 02, 07 2:56 pm     Reply with quote

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-2405.html&highlight=airport

Airport beach gets my vote if there's decent wind... Watch out for shit (broken glass, etc.) in the sand though.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jan 02, 07 6:12 pm     Reply with quote

i had good luck with sunset beach, a trainer kite and a landboard.

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostTue Jan 02, 07 8:18 pm    Re: PDX locations to learn to fly my trainer Reply with quote

harvey wrote:
Can someone tell me some good locations around Portland to safely learn to fly my trainer kite? After my first attempt today, I realize this could be dangerous in the begiinning. Is there a place at Sauvie's Island that doesn't interfere?

Also, what range of wind speed am I looking for to learn in?

Thanks in advance.
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil FIRST OF ALL WHO SOLD YOU THE F--KING KITE , DO THEY NOT OFFER ANYTHING BUT A CASH SALE Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad THATS WHO SHOULD HAVE LINED YOUR ASS UP AND POSSIBLE INITIAL KITE LESSON IF YOU ARE A NEWBEE...OR IF IT WAS A PRESENT THEN SO BE IT... Laughing Laughing I WOULD DEF. THROW IT UP JUST BEFORE TAKE OFF FROM ONE OF THEM THERE BIG PLANES...JUST KIDDING.....OPEN FIELDS.... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil TROLL

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostTue Jan 02, 07 8:25 pm     Reply with quote

Any open space with wind and avoid trees and powerlines. what size it it? 2m is ok, 3m you would want a leash. also have someone with you and have them keep clear of the kite lines, maybe one that kites? Have fun or wait for KiteNight.

ED

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostTue Jan 02, 07 9:58 pm     Reply with quote

EddieGPDX wrote:
Any open space with wind and avoid trees and powerlines. what size it it? 2m is ok, 3m you would want a leash. also have someone with you and have them keep clear of the kite lines, maybe one that kites? Have fun or wait for KiteNight.

ED
NOT DOES HE WANT A LEASH Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad HE NEEDS A LEASH SO HE WON'T KILL ANYBODY OR HIMSELF, OR MY DOG AT THE BEACH IF HE EVER FREAKING SHOWS UP HERE Twisted Evil TROLL

harvey

Since 02 Jan 2007
4 Posts
Sellwood
Kook

PostTue Jan 02, 07 10:21 pm     Reply with quote

It's a 2 mm. I don't have a leash, so that is a helpful suggestion. I will be taking lessons in February, but I wanted to try to fly a little on my own first.

I guess I was looking for a windy area like a field were I couldn't hurt anybody or their dog, and definitely not someone from the kite community.

What is KiteNight? I guess I can find that out easily enough.

Thanks.

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostTue Jan 02, 07 10:24 pm     Reply with quote

harvey wrote:
It's a 2 mm. I don't have a leash, so that is a helpful suggestion. I will be taking lessons in February, but I wanted to try to fly a little on my own first.

I guess I was looking for a windy area like a field were I couldn't hurt anybody or their dog, and definitely not someone from the kite community.

What is KiteNight? I guess I can find that out easily enough.

Thanks.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil Twisted Evil GOOD FOR YOU ...TROLL

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostWed Jan 03, 07 6:40 am     Reply with quote

Somebody please come feed the troll.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Jan 03, 07 9:33 am     Reply with quote

You'll be fine with the 2/3m for learning kite control, and the only way I see anyone hurting someone with a trainer is actually crashing the kite into them, or flying the kite in 50+ where it has similar power to a big kite (where the person flying the kite gets hucked).

And Kite Night is All Surf Industry's, learn how to fly a 2 and/or 3 meter trainer for free night. That's held at Sauvie's, on Thursday's only during the summer though. Hopefully that'll still be going on this year? Nate's going to be BUSY! Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: